2019 4CCs: Ladies' FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Ladies' FS

Orlov

Medalist
I also hope she will have, especially at Worlds. I hope she will land a clean quad and take the medals from the Russians:laugh:. She can share the podium with Rika, as both of them have C elements.

It's shallow-minded comment. I'm talking about the tone and the infantile attempt to offend on a national basis. If Elizabeth can land the 4-Salchow and climb the pedestal, it will be great. And btw, for us she is one of us (as well as Morice, Ryabova, Litvintsev, Kuzmenko, Halyavin and many others), so relax dude.

Nika09

On the Ice
Endlessly happy for Mai :hap93: Could you imagine if she would miss the podium, like all the way through this season with few points margin here too? It might be devastating...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've finally watched the ladies FS, and I now understand why some posters are a bit grumpy and feeling a bit double minded. Not because of bad judging or anything (although remarks were made, but that's always the case), but because of Sakamoto's non-podium finish, even though everybody seemed really happy for Lil'bet to finish on the podium. Personally, I would have had Kaori there because I like her skating. Actually, I love all the Japanese ladies' skating, and Lil'bets skating doesn't appeal to me as much. Very juniorish (albeit she hasn't been a junior for quite some time now), and I would love to watch her at a Juniors' championship. That has nothing to do with the points (I assume she deserved them, she did try a quad after all and rotated if not landed it) or not being pleased for her. I am. Very much so. It's always so lovely to watch someone being really, really happy. She must feel like she's finally following in her famous countryman's footsteps (or rather: skates) and she must have worked real hard to get here. Kudos! Just not my personal favourite here. I enjoyed Mariah Bell though, fall and all. She has been a joy to watch all season. Now hoping she'll get the consistency in and skate well at Worlds.

Given how competitive skating is at the top, skaters can't expect to get on the podium with mistakes. This podium actually represented the skaters who skated the best in the free program. Lil Bet's error was on a quad attempt so she didn't really give up many points on that one. Had she just gone for the 3sal, she would have been clean.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I finally have time to write my thoughts. First of all it was an unexpected podium for me except for Rika winning gold.

Rika: She became my favorite this season. Her skating, jumps, artistry is magnificent. I was so sure that she'd win 4CC and she did, I'm very happy about it. I hope she wins Worlds too.

Elizabet: I never like her skating. She skates like a little kid and her jumping position is not good at all. Also she has zero artistry.

Mai: I wasn't expecting her to get bronze medal but I'm glad that she did. Mai has good skating skills and she is very pleasing to watch.

Kaori: That was so heartbreaking. My favorite thing about Kaori is her artistry. She literally flows on ice. Sadly, she couldn't get a medal but it doesn't change the fact that she is an amazing skater.

Bradie: I can't never connect with her skating. She always has UR problems and she has nothing speacial to show.

Mariah: I kinda wanted her to get a medal because I love her programs a lot this year but at least she has a small medal from SP.

Ensoo: I have so much hope in her next season. She is young and she keeps improving. I'm sure she'll become better.

Have you seen this tournament with your own eyes? Or you read the headlines of sports tabloids?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I learned a new thing today: Raisin means spark, or something special in Russian. Cool. Makes me laugh though because one of my best friends once asked for a "raisin" instead of a raise from her boss during a meeting. We teased her about that for ages. Also she told the same boss that she saw a really good movie the night before: Deep Penetration. She meant Deep Impact but sometimes things get muddled. She's Franco-Ontarian and her mother tongue is French and then she spent 4 years in Japan and speaks Japanese so sometimes the words get a little mixed up if she is having a relaxed conversation.

I think I understand the whole "generic loveliness" issue. It is hard to watch one lilting, floaty program one after another. I really enjoyed Yi Christy's (Hong Kong) Florence and the Machine Gothic number because it was different and fresh. They were not trying to shove that girl into one of the more accepted societal boxes (women are beautiful, feminine, flirty, seeking male attention etc). However, it is a risk. Can you imagine if some female skater skated to Jason's SP music? People would have conniptions. I always hoped someone would skate to the Marylyn Brooks's hit from the 90s but alas.

It was a difficult competition for the Canadian ladies. Veronik was by far the brightest light. She was happy to be there and she did well all things considered. Larkin missing the world qualifying mark by .01 is a disappointment and I think it affected her free skate. She is a beautiful girl and seems to enjoy performing a lot. Alaine..well I don't know what to say about Alaine. She is lovely and has many fine qualities. I wish her well at worlds. I for one am hoping that Gabby is feeling good and is training.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
You can say you'd like Elizabet to win a medal without using it as an opportunity to take a jab at the Russian, American or Japanese Ladies. Elizabet seems like a lovely girl who is talented in areas other than skating (and her mother is a walking meme factory). She never wanted to leave Eteri and Moscow in the first place. That was out of her hands. She went to Brian (she actually begged apparently) and it didn't have the results she wanted and when she was able she went back to Eteri and Moscow where she is happier and doing well it seems.

Elizabet is very musical and has artistry. It is different from the artistry of say Carolina or Alina or Satoko but she is not without artistry.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Since we are being so precise with artistry, I would have given her 19.63 in artistry.

I can't decide if you mean that as her whole PCS or as one of the components. :confused:

I find her musical and she seems to have transitions and good skating skills. I do find that she performs inwardly sometimes and does not project as well as others do.

I can't decide if you mean that as her whole PCS or as one of the components. :confused:

I find her musical and she seems to have transitions and good skating skills. I do find that she performs inwardly sometimes and does not project as well as others do.

They're being sarcastic. The person they responded to said she had zero artistry (exaggeration), and so they said (sarcastically) they could be more precise.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The ladies' free was my first live figure skating competition and it was a surreal experience.

Rika: .

Thanks for the live report lusterfan. Those are always really interesting because we know that some thing do not translate well to TV.

I hope you will make back to another live competition soon!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
They're being sarcastic. The person they responded to said she had zero artistry (exaggeration), and so they said (sarcastically) they could be more precise.

AH.. maybe my sarcasm radar is broken today. Have to watch out of that.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yes, it was sarcasm, sorry. That's why I didn't use the word PCS and used the artistry. I picked a random number and post it.

Yes, sorry..my radar was broken. I thought you were being sarcastic but I wasn't totally sure. Sometimes around here it is hard to tell.

I think I understand the whole "generic loveliness" issue. It is hard to watch one lilting, floaty program one after another.

One thing, though. Each skater has to design a program for herself without knowing what others are going to do. If a competitor comes out with something just as lilting and floaty as my choice (or even skates to the same music) -- I don't have any control over that.

Now if it were a show instead of an athletic competition, they could arrange the acts by putting in, say, a comic routine between two floaty ones.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Can I just say I don’t think I would’ve had Tursynbaeva on the podium but wow, zero artistry??? Come on now!
As much as I didn’t like either of her programs(especially that very un-especial SP ), one thing I think she has going for her is how she skates well with the music, she hits the notes, she does her choreography well and she has decent SS. She’s not a bad skater at all, she’s not unpolished. I totally disagree with the statement that she skates like a Junior. She’s better than that, not great but better. I think she lacks an “x factor” kind of thing. And to me she’s not a great performer or maybe her programs don’t allow for that, they don’t draw you in, as much as she’s doing everything right.
But I was just happy and amazed that she went for the 4S! It was such a pleasant surprise. Also cool to see someone from a smaller fed making the podium for a change. Worlds just keeps getting more interesting.

champs

Final Flight
I understand what you are referring to, but I think she makes nice sweeping movements with her arms and upper body that look very modern and clean. It did look awkward and out of place last season (her Amelie program made me cringe at moments) but I think this year, they have really worked on it such that it looks natural and fits well with the music. She is not one of those skaters with delicate, overly fussy arm movements, and I love her for that.

Exactly how I feel about Kaori's improvement.

gizmo

On the Ice
Rika won....great comeback with the FS, but somehow it does not feel as smooth as last time I saw....think its because the new steps/changes, fingers crossed that it will even be better at the World Champ, pull out clean SP and FS, she will be the champ

Kaori....feel so heartbroken for her seeing her sob in K&C, I do think she should be place ahead of Bradie in SP, she had progressed so much this season, improvements all along, but I think nerves got to her skating last and she look so tense during the FS, not like her at all! Really rooting for her to do well in WC

Mai...What a FS!!! I think its actually the best FS performance amongst the ladies, so smooth and beautiful! Glad for her to be on the podium.

Bradie, that SP score is too inflated i am sorry, that PCS is unreal, her SS etc is not the same level as any of the Japanese ladies.

RobinA

On the Ice
That line applies much better to Eteri girls, who tend to take the image of robots.

Couldn't agree more. They all have that frenetic cram-everything-into-the-program-don't-care-what-
it-looks-like style. Every time I see them I think of Dick Button back in the day complaining about the superficial arm movements of Russian skaters. And he was talking about Urmanov!

Orlov

Medalist
Couldn't agree more. They all have that frenetic cram-everything-into-the-program-don't-care-what-
it-looks-like style. Every time I see them I think of Dick Button back in the day complaining about the superficial arm movements of Russian skaters. And he was talking about Urmanov!

Urmanov - Olympic champion. Eteri girls are Olympic champions and prize-winners. Hmm ... I feel that in all these complaints, there is some hidden unifying motive :laugh: