2019 4CCs: Pairs FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Pairs FS

Bcash

Final Flight
I think Pairs has become my second favorite discipline to watch. I never get to watch it though it seems :ddevil: I’m really enjoying the replay that’s on NBCsn right now and am really diggin this Pink Floyd program by the Canadians. Loved their reactions even though they barely missed going into first. So close :console:

I think Johnny is my favorite commentator officially now too. I know people rag on J&T rather casually but I enjoyed them during 4cc and I honestly look forward to them more and more. It’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it! #DealWithIt

Johnny can be efficient and articulate by himself. Added in Tara and Terrence they can become annoying.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And they have such beautiful lines...only comparable to James/Cypres (but they admittedly are better). Still, I'm really hoping for Cain/Leduc to make a splash at Worlds. They definitely can.

It's not just the lines (although their I-spin = all kinds of fabulosity), they actually have a program that is well-choreographed and interesting movements in between. So many pairs do the elements and call it a day and the construction of their programs is a mess. But when I first saw C/LD's FS and was like, "Nice.. this was actually thought through.".

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Johnny is my favorite commentator officially now too. I know people rag on J&T rather casually but I enjoyed them during 4cc and I honestly look forward to them more and more. It’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it! #DealWithIt

That's cool. I watch my tv with the sound off when he's commentating because I don't want to throw bricks through my TV. But to each his or her own!:biggrin:

And ok, I KNOW this will not happen, but I'd LOVE to see Keegan medal at Worlds. Maybe THAT would shut Johnny up about him.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Paula, Thanks for the article. It is great to get some quotes from the lower ranked skaters.

I am wondering whether Cain & LeDuc need to reconsider their use of the 3Loop, especially in the SP.

They always have done a Loop, both in the SP and FS, perhaps because it was always Ashley's most consistent jump as a singles skater, but it was called UR in both segments here. With the tighter and more punitive UR rules, i wonder whether they should reconsider that choice?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I pretty much agree that Ashley and Tim should consider taking the loop out of the SP. Their salchow has been looking really good in the LP combo, and some higher GOE with a clean Sal sounds like a good strategy.

I don't know if it will happen. And I keep hearing in my head Scott Hamilton's voice, and many others, to just do the program you've been working on all year and let automatic responses and muscle memory do some of the work for you.

In this interview of Ashley and Tim from right after Skate America, Ashley said the loop is difficult to choreograph into a program. I don't know if that would be a consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzeG0nbGDQ&t=1475s

nguyhm

On the Ice
With Ashley and Tim training in Texas (Dallas), I so wish they would reach out to Natalia Mishkutenok (who is also a coach in Dallas) to help them with the lifts and choreography (or anything pair related). I'm sure Natalia is highly influenced by Tamara Moskvina's methods, let's keep the legacy live on. Admitting to be bias I think Moskvina' influence might play a part in John Zimmerman's (and James/Cipres) success - not to take anything away from John - he totally earned it.
I (surprisingly) enjoyed S/H long program, the choreography was sublime and a perfect vehicle for their passion, which really shone through. Can't wait to see how much improved it will be at Worlds.

Balloon

On the Ice
MT/M deserved gold even with the lift issue. Sui and Han were not on for several elements and had a fall in each program whereas MT/M were close to clean. And that's not even me saying it because they're Canadian, and I loves me some Sui/Han too - but in this competition, MT/M were better on the whole.

I agree

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I enjoyed S/H long program... but I would have given Gold to Canadians.

I agree S/H have a wonderful FS and if done relatively clean should win but to be fair at 4cc the Canadians earned the gold though I too think they can take their performance up a notch and have to work on the lifts and twists. Kristen didn't have these problems with Dylan; I realize it takes two but I think Michael needs to get working out and work onthe technique.

But back to Sui and Han. They have been missed and are the only real team who can challenge the French who sort of have run away from the pack. The Russians seem to have self destructed. After Candyman you think they would find programsthat suit them. And they need to develop their own stamp or mark. S and H have a connection and smoothnessthatonly the very best develop. Ie G and G, B/S et al.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can’t recall any that can be described as that.

"How dare Keegan Messing bring that mess of a Chaplin free skate after that genius skate from Hanyu" (paraphrasing here).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aaaand here we go with a segway back to Pairs:

"This was a stunning performance .... they have such a ferocious personality as a team; they both had very cool, calm, collected heads, and just went out there and did their best work. There was nothing over-the-top or pretentious about their performance; it was just the purity of their skating and their partnership."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSoro0DZ-fU

This is a good example of new, improved Johnny and Tara, IMHO. :) And a new, improved pair, come to think of it.

LOL at some who argued a certain male skater should be winning no matter how many times he fell based off skating skills, transitions, and "artistry" now thinking that MT/M should have won. Guess it works only when you want it to, or when the skaters are from your country. At least S/H had real artistry, instead of empty expression and robotic musicality. MT/M didn't even do anything spectacular with their technical elements, nor are they as refined, which apparently also only work as reasons when you want them to.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
LOL at posters who think all Canadians (Canadian posters?) are the same person. Or if not the same person, that they should be grouped together by nationality and each held collectively responsible for what any of them post.

Casual

On the Ice
LOL at some who argued a certain male skater should be winning no matter how many times he fell based off skating skills, transitions, and "artistry" now thinking that MT/M should have won. Guess it works only when you want it to, or when the skaters are from your country. At least S/H had real artistry, instead of empty expression and robotic musicality. MT/M didn't even do anything spectacular with their technical elements, nor are they as refined, which apparently also only work as reasons when you want them to.

What does "the skaters are from your country" have to do with the price of beans? :confused: Please try to believe that not everyone is motivated by (falsely understood) patriotism, or bias towards personal favorites.

I'm not Canadian, but I think that Canadians should have won. They outskated S/H at 4CC.

(Also, who's the male skater you mention? I thought male skaters results were very fair. Who was it that people think should have won?)

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What does "the skaters are from your country" have to do with the price of beans? :confused: Please try to believe that not everyone is motivated by (falsely understood) patriotism, or bias towards personal favorites.

I'm not Canadian, but I think that Canadians should have won. They outskated S/H at 4CC.

:agree:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
(Also, who's the male skater you mention? I thought male skaters results were very fair. Who was it that people think should have won?)

I'm pretty sure they're talking about Patrick Chan, so nothing relevant to this discussion.