2019 4CCs: Pairs FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Pairs FS

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
USA has 3 pairs at this event, can't even land on the podium, and some folks think we have a chance at top 10 at Worlds with even more good pairs there...I have to disagree. Very discouraging for the US.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbspto.htm

Definitely a shot for top 10. I don't like playing the told you so game (especially since I'm often wrong in my predictions, lol) but I'm so pleased to be right about Cain/Leduc. I knew they would win Nationals and they showed great poise and confidence here. Hoping they peak at Worlds!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hope they peak at Worlds as well. Go Cain/Leduc!

And they have such beautiful lines...only comparable to James/Cypres (but they admittedly are better). Still, I'm really hoping for Cain/Leduc to make a splash at Worlds. They definitely can.

readernick

Medalist
I thought it was a pretty good event.

Sui/ Han were very rusty. But WOW they are good! I was especially impressed with Han. He was obviously working hard while Sui was recovering. Lori Nichol is a great choreographer if she likes your skating. She obviously loves these two.

Happy for MT/M. They were really clean( with the exception of that scary lift). I don’t like their long program but Kristen is lovely and she really knows how to land a throw.

Love Peng/Jin. The SBS are getting better. I like their short program. I don’t think the long really suits them. Great program but not a great match. However, they are a wonderful team.

Cain/Leduc are getting better. Their elements are becoming higher quality. I hope they stick together and continue to work. They have challenges in the lifts and throws because Ashley is so tall and Tim is not naturally strong. I hope Tim continues to work getting stronger because Ashley can’t get any shorter. Those long lines are good for extension though. They are using it to their advantage and I hope they continue to do so.

Denny/Frazer really have the best pair elements of the US teams here. Nice lifts and throws. Pity she can’t land jumps.

I like the two young Canadian teams but they have a lot to work on. I think they are putting in the work.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
S/H's free was the highlight of the entire competition for me. That was next level choreography, expression, and movement. :bow:

ITA. Even with the limited mileage, the choreography and their interpretation were terrific. Could be a masterpiece in the making. That choreographic sequence and the speed on that last lift were breathtaking.

Danny T

Medalist
Just got time to catch up in between the men's and after, but S/H was stunning. Technically today wasn't their best day, what with losing levels and the salchow fall, but their performance has more power than ever IMO. The last stretch of the free was phenomenal - the sheer speed and confidence of it, whoo.

I actually like all of the skates in the second group. P/J's free I'm still not feeling, but their short is still one of the best this season. MT/M put up a great fight for gold - I think the PCS gap between them and S/H are wide TBH, but technically they did their best. Somehow after the scary fall for C/L I might have accidentally erased my memory of their free, and just now realised it's like the music from Medvedeva's programme LOL. Not gonna lie, I'm still quite scared when they skate :drama:

S/H did seem a little too out of it for me. But the absolute horror story that was M-T/M's LP, with the bland choreography, and the nonsensical performance (why was he smiling like that?!), it doesn't matter to me. They also have swirly 3T, so as a matter of principle I'm fine with this.

S/H have very interesting positions in there. I hope they refine the last minute or so of the choreography more.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
USA has 3 pairs at this event, can't even land on the podium, and some folks think we have a chance at top 10 at Worlds with even more good pairs there...I have to disagree. Very discouraging for the US.

Cain/LeDuc are currently #10 in world standings, and two of the teams ahead of them aren’t competing this year.

But let’s do the math: Let’s assume the 3 teams that beat them at 4CCs beat them again at Worlds. To make Top 10, they can lose to 5 other teams. Likely the French and 2-3 from Russia. That still gives 1-2 places of wiggle room over other teams (Germany, Italy, North Korea & Australia, if recovered from injury).

Obviously, C/L will have to skate as well as they did at 4CCs. But 10th is certainly possible.

Nika09

On the Ice
I would like to give a huge hug to S/H just the same way Cong Han hugged his coach after the FP. With the cute-red-plushy-heart hands :ghug: Missed you guys so much!

Scrufflet

Final Flight

Don't lose hope just yet! I really enjoyed what Cain/LeD did and I see them as building. It has taken MTM2 a long time to build too. And I still have hopes for Mervin Tran.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I love KMT. Love her. I still don't trust Michael to throw her in the twist or lift her. I really wish she'd gone with Mervin. However, they did well here so bravo to them. I hope that the confidence from this fuels better performances. The program is hopelessly dated imo.

Sui/Han are my favourites and have been for quite a long time. I love the long program and I think once they get the rust off it will be great. I think Vanessa and Morgan have the edge at the moment because they have momentum and 2 side by side jumps but I think S/H are the superior pair. It will be an interesting worlds.

Peng/Jin have my favourite sp this season for pairs and their long is very good. Lori has done a very good job with them. They are playful and charming and I wish them the best. Top 5 at Worlds please!

Cain/LeDuc are coming together. The twist is beautiful (thank you Nina Mozer's team) and I think they are very reliable with the SBS jumps so I see no reason they can't be top 10 at worlds.

The other two Canadian teams didn't skate well but I like both of them and think they have promise. As I said in the live competition thread: When Evelyn and Trennt don't skate well I always blame the extra unnecessary and superfluous n in his name. You may feel free to join me.

D/F did well I thought. I really had no expectations of them so I think they should be satisfied.

Tarah and Danny. First of all..get a new long program already. Secondly I don't understand the American selection process. Deanna and Nate earned this and should have gone IMO.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peng/Jin have my favourite sp this season for pairs and their long is very good. Lori has done a very good job with them. They are playful and charming and I wish them the best. Top 5 at Worlds please!

Cain/LeDuc are coming together. The twist is beautiful (thank you Nina Mozer's team) and I think they are very reliable with the SBS jumps so I see no reason they can't be top 10 at worlds.

D/F did well I thought. I really had no expectations of them so I think they should be satisfied.

Tarah and Danny. First of all..get a new long program already. Secondly I don't understand the American selection process. Deanna and Nate earned this and should have gone IMO.

Agree with all of this. The whole performance on the day vs. body of work is constantly troubling. Also, I went back and watched Tarah and Danny's last year 4cc Swan Lake, and I liked it much better. It was more streamlined and subtler, less of what I felt were more attention-grabbing changes. Also, I love Danny's smile and always want more of it, but not when it's tried as an evil smile. That just causes a disconnect for me.

When Evelyn and Trennt don't skate well I always blame the extra unnecessary and superfluous n in his name. You may feel free to join me.

:laugh: I'm going to take you up on that offer!

"extra, unnecessary, and superfluous" -- how I love the English language! :love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Cain and LeDuc but quite frankly I don't much enjoy watching them and I think it's because there is so little height difference. I always feel like he's really struggling to get her up in the air and keep her there. Have always liked Denney and Frazier but they never seem too terribly excited about what they're doing. Their lifts are wonderful and their choreo is generally okay but after all this time Haven - get a jump coach for heaven's sake.

I still want to see the Knierems get it together. I do think overall they're the US's best option internationally.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy for Cain and LeDuc but quite frankly I don't much enjoy watching them and I think it's because there is so little height difference. I always feel like he's really struggling to get her up in the air and keep her there. Have always liked Denney and Frazier but they never seem too terribly excited about what they're doing. Their lifts are wonderful and their choreo is generally okay but after all this time Haven - get a jump coach for heaven's sake.

I still want to see the Knierems get it together. I do think overall they're the US's best option internationally.

This is quite funny really: I like C/L especially because there is so little height difference! That's what makes the lines. The same with S/H but of course both are rather small compared to C/L.

Bcash

Final Flight
This is quite funny really: I like C/L especially because there is so little height difference! That's what makes the lines. The same with S/H but of course both are rather small compared to C/L.

C/L look a bit heavy in their skating.

Bcash

Final Flight
I love KMT. Love her. I still don't trust Michael to throw her in the twist or lift her. I really wish she'd gone with Mervin. However, they did well here so bravo to them. I hope that the confidence from this fuels better performances. The program is hopelessly dated imo.

I think these dated and nondescript programs may be a result of a team not fully confident in their technical abilities and partnership and wanting to focus on that part first.

But yeah the American teams especially just seem completely random and frankly very old-fashioned with their program conception. Lack of imagination on the coaches’ part too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Pairs has become my second favorite discipline to watch. I never get to watch it though it seems :ddevil: I’m really enjoying the replay that’s on NBCsn right now and am really diggin this Pink Floyd program by the Canadians. Loved their reactions even though they barely missed going into first. So close :console:

I think Johnny is my favorite commentator officially now too. I know people rag on J&T rather casually but I enjoyed them during 4cc and I honestly look forward to them more and more. It’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it! #DealWithIt