2019 4CCs: Men's FS | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Men's FS

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
suf.jpg

Japan's Shoma Uno rebounded from a fourth-place short program to capture the gold in the Men's event at the 2019 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships on Saturday night. Defending champion Boyang Jin of China moved up one spot to win silver, while USA's Vincent Zhou earned the bronze in his debut at this event.

Uno was brilliant in his measured and smooth routine to a modern version of “Moonlight Sonata.” The only major error came when he stepped out of the back end of a triple Axel-Euler-triple toe. The 2018 Olympic silver medalist otherwise landed a quad flip, quad toe, quad toe-double toe along with two triple Axels. He also earned level 4 on all spins and footwork.

The 2018 Olympic silver medalist immediately “collapsed” to the ice with relief at the end, rebounding from a sub-par short program where he placed fourth. He earned a season’s best of 197.36 for first place in the free skate and overall (289.12).

“I think I was able to do everything I can, but I believe there is a lot more I need to do to be competitive at the top,” said the 2018 World silver medalist. “Instead of just pulling myself back, I believed in doing what I had to do and I kept going. There weren’t a lot of happy emotions when I collapsed, it was like, ‘I really did it’. I thought about how I was injured after nationals and how I can bring it (my skating) to the next level.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the event? Who showed the most improvement since the GP?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
most improvement goes to Keegan. he had a stellar performance tonight.

I really enjoyed Shoma's Moonlight Sonata program. Thinking he is injured and skating with such passion shows his commitment.

Disappointed with Boyang's evolution... Same layout as usual.. not much interpretation of music. He peaks at worlds so I will be waiting to see him there to make my final observations.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan was amazing. I think he should've been in 3rd. I really want him to come out and skate lights out and do something crazy like win a medal at Worlds to shut.Johnny.up.about.him. I know that won't happen. It's just my dream. Also I'm glad his hat has been located and I do not need to send out a search party.

Good on Jason for trying the quad. If he can rotate one in competition maybe the curse will be over.

I would have enjoyed Shoma's performance much more had my cat not celebrated it by puking in my shoe.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Nope at both.

Anyway, Zhou shouldn't be on the podium IMO. Top 2 can go either way for me.

I think there's no way Boyang's ever going to win over Shoma (or Nathan) in situations where it could go either way :think:

ssminnow

Rinkside
I thought Boyang has improved a lot. The LP isn't as well-choreographed as the SP but the improved skating skills and style are evident. Only complaint is that while his movements were reasonably connected to the musical phrasings, they were not at all related to the story of the music.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Congrats to Shoma for winning his first ISU championship gold medal! The TP wasn't UDI'd tonight.

Oops, take it back. The TP was semi DUI'd and they let go of Shoma's 4F forward takeoff (270* prerotation) and forward landing (120* underrotation). Watch the slo-mo.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well, there's no question that my favorite performance goes to...Tomoki Hiwatashi. :biggrin: Really, he had the absolute skate of his LIFE. His reaction was also adorable.

I've got many complaints at the judging but they are the usual ones. I won't repeat them.
Shoma, Boyang and Keegan of the final group skated marvelously. Regardless of my thoughts of the final podium placements, I salute them and thank them for their dedication and making us fans happy to watch them.

----
However, I feel Keegan has a right to feel cheated of a Bronze here. He deserved it.

Last edited:

Shanshani

On the Ice
Boyang is back :hap93: wasn't perfect, but there's still Worlds. The rink should be bigger so there should be more room for his Lutz :laugh:

Shoma skated amazingly, I can't believe he managed to pull that out given all the injuries he's had to deal with lately. Though I do think he got away with some UR when the panel was strict on other skaters.

Tech panel was out to rectify their overlooking of URs in the short for Vincent and Junhwan. I feel kind of bad for them now--those TES's dove off a cliff, ouch. But fair's fair, they did UR. Plus, if they had been tough throughout the competition, Keegan would have podiumed, so you have to feel bad for him too.

All the top men put out enjoyable, strong skates. Kudos!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not that inconsistent technical calling is a new thing, but the contrast between the judging of the short and the free is jarring, especially considering it’s the same people.

That said, the final flight was great — even the URing ones, because while URs should detract from your score, they don’t make you unenjoyable to watch. Basically this was the exact opposite of the final group at Europeans.

Keegan had three rough events in a row after Skate Canada, so to see him give his best free skate ever was thrilling. Even if he didn’t get the bronze here (he should have, in my view), he at least has his small medal.

Jason finally went for the quad. That was becoming a mental block, so this was a good first step. And the rest of the program was lovely.

Shoma somehow delivered his best free program since, I guess, the 2017 Lombardia Trophy, despite being injured.

Also happy to see some of the guys who really struggled in the fall, like Boyang and Keiji, back in good form.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Uno for winning his second straight Four Continents with the highest freeskate ever scored under the new system! :clap:

I know world records don't count, but that's an amazing achievement! :agree:

1111bm

Final Flight
I agree that Keegan was cheated out of a podium finish... and he was so happy after his skate, a bronze medal would have been the perfect end to this competition :(.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to Uno for winning his second straight Four Continents with the highest freeskate ever scored under the new system! :clap

This is actually Uno's first 4CC title. Interesting that he placed sequentially from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd and finally wins on his fifth try. Improvement step by step. ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would have been happy with either Boyang or Shoma in 1st, but am glad the latter has his major gold at last.

And yes, Keegan should have been third. Not that I am biased.....

That was rough on Junhwan, but he is only 17? - and has had an amazing season, so can go to Worlds with head held high.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Really happy for Shoma! :) You could see the passion in his free and how much he really wanted to win despite his injury. He is a worthy champion!

Also pleased that Boyang won silver with a new season's best!

I agree that Keegan was cheated out of a podium finish... and he was so happy after his skate, a bronze medal would have been the perfect end to this competition :(.

I feel the same way, it was the uneven scoring in the SP event that did it.

Keegan will receive a bronze small medal for his free skate, which he should be proud of!

I think there's no way Boyang's ever going to win over Shoma (or Nathan) in situations where it could go either way :think:

Maybe. But here, with PCS and GOE so tied into reputation, I was quite happy that Boyang got near 85 PCS after the season he's had. It was still quite shaky (and the rink is soooo small which made it seem like he was a little put off by it), so I hope to see what he'll do at worlds, because I think that program is quite good.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Shoma has his 1st ISU championship gold.
He's got a lot of fight in him...and now he knows he can win. :thumbsup:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I just want to ignore the issues with the scoring for a little bit and appreciate the skates of the last group plus Keiji and Tomoki. Sometimes men’s can be a big splatfest and this was not. I was really impressed with how well these guys all skated regardless of the scores. We can go on and on about the scores and I do hope judges and tech panel can get it together for the sake of everyone involved but I thoroughly enjoyed the skating at this event and that’s all.

I am sad for Kazuki though :(