2019 4CCs: Men's FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Men's FS

Interspectator

Record Breaker
New page, new subject, Boyang Jin.
From the article shared in the OP, these are his comments:
“I’m satisfied overall, but it’s not as good as my training these days,” said last year’s champion. “My skating wasn’t that relaxed. Two minutes before stepping on the ice, I decided to not do the quad Salchow in my program and change some of the choreography. After the nationals, I wasn’t able to skate this program that much, so having one less quad makes it a little easier for me.”

“I think I adjusted myself mentally a little bit now,” said the 21-year-old of his marked improvement. “I just want to use the competition experience I have now to compete and enjoy the competition. I think I’m way calmer than before, so I feel like there’s no such difficulty that I cannot overcome in the future.”
I'm thrilled to see Boyang beginning to rise again, since he sounded a bit disheartened and sad in the last interview I read that had been translated.
Like I said in the other thread, his skates here were miles better than earlier in the season so if he can keep this trajectory and this mindset for worlds, I hope to see him contend for a medal there.

What do you think of the strategy of lowering the difficulty so that he could go as clean as possible?
This is actually what I think the rule changes were aiming for, to make skaters consider what elements it was realistic to include and which were Hail Mary elements.
In my opinion, it worked for Boyang here and helped him rise to the silver medal position.

What do you think of the strategy of lowering the difficulty so that he could go as clean as possible?

It helped him get to silver, and it's good that he's thought a little more strategically like that. However, strangely with this program, the four quad layout has better choreo and interpretation, because of the way he sets up the 4S vs the 4T+2T :p Usually more quads = less artistry. Hope he can skate that one cleanly at worlds.

I will say though, even for not having the memory for this choreographed layout, he did a pretty good job.

century2009

On the Ice
I am not sure why Boyang confidence is low (like Mikhail as well), but for this competition, he can afford to play around like others.

With the new judging system, it has been a balancing act for the Top guys to make sure the elements are done well.

For Worlds, he will need to go all out if Hanyu, Shoma, and Nathan push it.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Jin for me is someone who could be world champion one day so if making the layout easier makes him more confident then I say go for it.

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Empty seats with this competition because Yuzuru was not there. Nobody was really headliners to include Ladies, Pairs and Dance. Empty seats in a struggling fading sport. Yuzu and Javi kept it exciting and thrilling. Shib sibs, Tessa and Scott, among the elite who can bring in the audience seats.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Note to self: Hyperbolic bait. Don't take it this time.

lyrichord

Rinkside
Empty seats with this competition because Yuzuru was not there. Nobody was really headliners to include Ladies, Pairs and Dance. Empty seats in a struggling fading sport. Yuzu and Javi kept it exciting and thrilling. Shib sibs, Tessa and Scott, among the elite who can bring in the audience seats.
Maybe they should price the tickets more reasonably? On the Groupon side opposite the judges, with the seats at $69 a pop on Sat and Fri night were sold out for men’s and ladies’ free skate well in advance, whereas the side selling at regular price ~$200 was practically empty. Yuzuru was missed though, people were taking pictures with his Edea banner at the arena.

I was at the arena for men’s free skate and want to shout out to Sihyeong Lee, who was third up and skated the only “clean” no pops/no falls free skate until Tomoki in the third group. Can’t be easy trying to rotate jumps when you’re 185 cm!

Speaking of Tomoki, he arguably got the biggest/longest ovation of night. People went crazy for his Biellmann at the end of the program and went wild to see him go into first place at that time. He was so exuberant and thrilled with his skate, and having massive support from both the home American and large Japanese crowd didn’t hurt I’m sure.

Some notes about others:
* Nicholas Nadeau is so noticeably smooth across the ice in person

* Keiji, whose appeal I kinda don’t “get” on TV, is charismatic with major ice coverage in person, the small rink definitely affected him as he was skating so close to the boards.

* Keegan’s spins were the most impressive of the the night

* Shoma was pretty obviously the class of the field, there really wasn’t any doubt he would win after his skate, and to do what he did on a sprained ankle was amazing, although I side eye the score a little. It was funny and cute whenever they would randomly cut to him in the green room and he would look so startled to be on camera before waving to the audience.

* I was hoping to see Jason land his first quad but alas, I’m glad that he managed to not pop anything though despite the opening error, since it’s been somewhat of a problem for him this season.

* Vincent looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, the pressure of being in first place with so many critics and skating in front of the home crowd must have been hard on him, and he visibly had to labor and battle for the elements, but I’m very proud of him for for making it through the program and landing everything albeit imperfectly. He looks really classy and handsome in that free program costume, and I love that he stays in character to acknowledge all parts of the crowd after his skate.

*Jun Hwan has very nice lines and his program is certainly a crowd pleaser, though his minor jump errors were fairly visible, his low score was still a pretty big shock to everyone there. And FYI there was quite a bit of laughter at the “Juliet!” line from the audience.

* Boyang clearly has the best jumps of everyone there, although the program does look a little empty between jumps, it’s still an amazing comeback for him after a very rough Grand Prix season. I was 100% sure that was the second place free skate when he finished and was a little surprised his score was as close to third as it was.

Medal ceremony+after: Vincent was very careful with stepping onto the rug after #carpetgate at Nationals. Shoma had a funny interaction with fans after the medal ceremony where he grabbed a small flag first to pose with and then decided to swap it for a bigger one once he saw that the other medalists had the bigger flags of their countries. Vincent and Boyang both had a little flag mishap since you wear it one way to go around the rink but have hold it the opposite way for photographers when posing so there was a bit of an awkward backward flag holding moment before they figured it out, Boyang first and then Vincent. :laugh: Boyang was last to leave the ice after the medal ceremony because he was signing autographs for fans, and Vincent also stayed for a long time to sign. Shoma probably wanted to get off that bad ankle ASAP, but he was very curteous in waving acknowledgment to the crowd when he left.

icybear

Medalist
by same layout as usual i meant : skates skates skates.. goes for the 4 lutz at the back of the rink.. then comes back for second quad... here it was toe... doesn't matter to me if he does toe or salchow there.. but it's the same pattern which is followed always by the 3aeu3s etc
Again maybe you should actually try looking up his layout from previous years before commenting on it. He has changed the layout of the program. Last year he did his step seq at the end and finished with a spin. This year he does his step sequence in the middle and finishes with the choreo seq.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Seems popular to hate on Vincent - though guess this isn’t new. Last Worlds he went from mostly under the radar to the subject of some rather intense hate after the SP.

Junhwan has had previous UR not called this season - I was surprised he got called on so many in the FS here.

The only reason I can possibly think of for the "hate" Vincent gets is he is considered a "threat" to Jason among US men; Pretty much the same reason why Bradie gets picked on so much because fans want Mariah to be the top US lady. Junhwan is not a direct threat to any US man.

shine

Record Breaker
The only reason I can possibly think of for the "hate" Vincent gets is he is considered a "threat" to Jason among US men; Pretty much the same reason why Bradie gets picked on so much because fans want Mariah to be the top US lady. Junhwan is not a direct threat to any US man.
And also maybe because Jun Hwan's skating is so much more pleasant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
All I can say the amount of discourse and the same tired Jason v. Vincent posts really undermine how great the free skate was.

Honestly the final group men here at 4CC was miles better than Europeans. No major spalts and everyone did a lovely performance. Also shout out for me to Donovan, who really captured the audience’s hearts! Also Keiji and Tomoki who turned in some amazing performances in the second to last group!

I found something to appreciate with everyone in the final group but Shoma’s
performance was especially inspiring given his injury issues.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
All I can say the amount of discourse and the same tired Jason v. Vincent posts really undermine how great the free skate was.

Honestly the final group men here at 4CC was miles better than Europeans. No major spalts and everyone did a lovely performance. Also shout out for me to Donovan, who really captured the audience’s hearts! Also Keiji and Tomoki who turned in some amazing performances in the second to last group!

I found something to appreciate with everyone in the final group but Shoma’s
performance was especially inspiring given his injury issues.

Thank you for sharing.
With all the discourse on other topics (of which I'm guilty!) thank you for reminding us that this was a really good event. Even watching on TV I enjoyed it and felt there were a lot of stand out performances, skaters who were able to go out there and captivate the audience and bring that sense of theater ( to quote Dick Button) that is what really draws the viewer in.
My personal favorites in the Free Skate were Keegan, Tomoki, Keiji, Shoma, Boyang and Jason.

Last edited:

nguyhm

On the Ice
I surprisingly enjoyed Boyang this year's FS much more than his programs in the past.
Was worried about Shoma (and his ankle) but happy that he (finally) won.
Love Jun Hwan's lines, especially at such young age (credit to Tracy ????) - too bad for the mistakes in the jumps.
Great skates from men's last group

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'll tell you the two things I'm going to miss the most going forward: That no one will come into the 4CC men's thread and ask why Javi isn't competing there and that no one will come into to the European men's thread and ask why Denis Ten or Misha Ge aren't competing there anymore.

I will now go and be sad somewhere.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Four-Continental nightmare (Men's FP, 4CC 2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v-Q9aUU_G4

Just so folks know before they click, this appears to be compilation of falls and mistakes at the men’s LP at 4CC (I didn’t watch the entire video, so that may have changed, but that was the beginning).

With a competition that was as exciting and well done as the 4CC men’s LP, supported by the accounts of the people actually watching the competition, I’ll reserve my viewing for the video “Highlights of the exciting and well-done 4CC men’s LP”.

No nightmares here:biggrin:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
The nightmare at 4cc was the judging not the skating. They should have made the video for the men’s competition at Russian Nationals. Now that was a nightmare.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All I can say is to reiterate my point that this is why inconsistent calling sucks. There was no real difference between Vincent's and Jun's jumps in the SP or the FS. And yet they were told they were "clean" (when they obviously weren't) in the SP and underrotated (which they obviously were) in the FS. BY. THE. SAME. PANEL. Jesus, if that's not going to make your head spin...

And of course - I am incredibly proud of the Aussie boys, who all skated very well. Especially Mark, who was on relatively short notice. Andrew's Schindler's List was stunning and as lovely as I've ever seen it. And oh, Brendan...the thrown-in 3A was superb but please...do not let Amodio do next year's programs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The nightmare at 4cc was the judging not the skating. They should have made the video for the men’s competition at Russian Nationals. Now that was a nightmare.

Uh huh. :sarcasm: So curious to know just how much you would increase certain skaters’ scores - or if necessitated - drop others’ scores. :rolleye: