2019 4CCs: Men's FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Men's FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm impressed with our American team in this event, and proud of them. They're 3rd: Vincent, 5th: Jason, and 8th: Tomoki. That's all even without Nathan! And in my opinion, they all skated beautifully, in their diverse ways; and all made some significant progress in this event. Vincent wins 4CC bronze at age 18, 2nd year as senior I think ... and he does it with style, heart, musical attention and sensitivity, and lyrical movement. Jason lands his quad salchow, which is a huge step ... now he knows he's done it in competition, and he gets to take that security with him forward to Worlds and next year. Progress is the name of the game in figure skating, and these two are showing it. As for Tomoki ... just pure exuberance, joy, happiness in being here, and a great showing.

Keegan, I love. Always have. This was a wonderful showing for him tonight, particularly satisfying in light of his season. Clean, brilliant skating, progress and joy. I seriously doubt that he's feeling cheated about the result, contrary to some fans. That's just my sense of him, I feel it in my bones. Not very logical! Of course he's a competitor, he has to be at this level, but ultimately it's his connection with the audience and the performance that he's so wonderful with, and he has to feel great about that. I'm also so happy for Nam; his programs weren't as well done as at Canadian nationals, but he has those performances, and he did very well here. I love that he chooses the music he loves. It shows.

Junhwan's performance was terrific, and he's a very talented kid. Also, I'm whimsically pleased that he chose two such programs ... Cinderella (the Prince!) and Romeo and "Juliet!!!!" They're gutsy choices, and he pulls them off with panache. Speaking of musical choices, Brendan Kerry finally won me over completely with Grease tonight. It's as if the vision that he always had for that program finally manifested and mysteriously communicated to me. It was really great to see him so pleased with his score, too. And I have to give a shout out to Andrew Dodds. I love his skating, his style, his passion and expression.

Boyang skated great, came through, and I clearly remember that he peaks at the end of the season. So look out Worlds, here he comes. Now, best for last: Shoma. Oh my Goodness. That was some beautiful skating; and he's a warrior; he took that performance tonight out of his back pocket at exactly the right moment. I find some of the early music cuts jarring, but it really didn't matter, because of his skating. I mean, he was injured, but he kept all that beauty and skill in reserve for when it was really needed. I love the way he skates. I love the way he'll add some little flourish when he steps out of a jump or has a tiny stumble ... as if he makes the error part of the choreography. That is great improvisation, and to me it shows an understanding of what creativity truly is: something to enhance our experience as we go.

Well done, men!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm impressed with our American team in this event, and proud of them. They're 3rd: Vincent, 5th: Jason, and 8th: Tomoki. That's all even without Nathan! And in my opinion, they all skated beautifully, in their diverse ways; and all made some significant progress in this event. Vincent wins 4CC bronze at age 18, 2nd year as senior I think ... and he does it with style, heart, musical attention and sensitivity, and lyrical movement. Jason lands his quad salchow, which is a huge step ... now he knows he's done it in competition, and he gets to take that security with him forward to Worlds and next year. Progress is the name of the game in figure skating, and these two are showing it. As for Tomoki ... just pure exuberance, joy, happiness in being here, and a great showing.

Keegan, I love. Always have. This was a wonderful showing for him tonight, particularly satisfying in light of his season. Clean, brilliant skating, progress and joy. I seriously doubt that he's feeling cheated about the result, contrary to some fans. That's just my sense of him, I feel it in my bones. Not very logical! Of course he's a competitor, he has to be at this level, but ultimately it's his connection with the audience and the performance that he's so wonderful with, and he has to feel great about that. I'm also so happy for Nam; his programs weren't as well done as at Canadian nationals, but he has those performances, and he did very well here. I love that he chooses the music he loves. It shows.

Junhwan's performance was terrific, and he's a very talented kid. Also, I'm whimsically pleased that he chose two such programs ... Cinderella (the Prince!) and Romeo and "Juliet!!!!" They're gutsy choices, and he pulls them off with panache. Speaking of musical choices, Brendan Kerry finally won me over completely with Grease tonight. It's as if the vision that he always had for that program finally manifested and mysteriously communicated to me. It was really great to see him so pleased with his score, too. And I have to give a shout out to Andrew Dodds. I love his skating, his style, his passion and expression.

Boyang skated great, came through, and I clearly remember that he peaks at the end of the season. So look out Worlds, here he comes. Now, best for last: Shoma. Oh my Goodness. That was some beautiful skating; and he's a warrior; he took that performance tonight out of his back pocket at exactly the right moment. I find some of the early music cuts jarring, but it really didn't matter, because of his skating. I mean, he was injured, but he kept all that beauty and skill in reserve for when it was really needed. I love the way he skates. I love the way he'll add some little flourish when he steps out of a jump or has a tiny stumble ... as if he makes the error part of the choreography. That is great improvisation, and to me it shows an understanding of what creativity truly is: something to enhance our experience as we go.

Well done, men!

I don't agree with many of your points, but I have to compliment you for the most positive post I've read here in a long time. You compliment the good, and don't feel the need to put anyone down to make a skater look better in comparison, you seem to see the beauty in everyone and appreciate their hard work.

Kudos to that great post, once more.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't agree with many of your points, but I have to compliment you for the most positive post I've read here in a long time. You compliment the good, and don't feel the need to put anyone down to make a skater look better in comparison, you seem to see the beauty in everyone and appreciate their hard work.

Kudos to that great post, once more.

Thank you! :)

yude

Record Breaker
My thoughts after Men's FS

・I can't wait to see Jason lands 4S in future competition, I guess it will get +GOE if he lands it.

・I was very glad that Keiji landed two quads and two 3A in his FS, which I had been waiting for so long.

・Boyang looked like he was ready to peak for the WC, good!

・I hope injured skaters will be recovered soon.

・I don't expect fair judging in WC at this point.

Henni147

Final Flight
Putting the ongoing judging discussions aside, this freeskate was really entertaining with many SBs and shouldn't be overshadowed by anything.

Especially the final group was a cascade of great performances unlike several other events this season. I think this is the first final group ever in men's skating with NO pops and NO falls, aye? Can anyone confirm? Never believed that this is even possible in the era of quad madness, so kudos to everyone, guys! Great job!!

I've never been a huge fan of Shoma's jumping technique and crossover-filled choreos, but considering his health condition, the diabolic silver streak and his position after the short, this was a remarkable effort and I was really happy for him today. For me it has perhaps been the most memorable performance since LOCO days.

Boyang!!! Thank God he climbs back to old heights. Some jumps are still a bit shaky, but he pushed through from start to finish like a champ. His total package and artistry get visibly better from season to season. Hope, he can peak in Saitama and make the podium.

Jason is an honor to watch this season. Never thought that he could gain such consistency after a devastating season within half a year. Especially the success rate of his 3A career nemesis is amazing. Not perfect, but much better than I could hope for. Kudos for the attempted 4S, too. Thumbs up :agree:

Vincent and Jun fight the battle for this season's UR king... incredible what happened with the TES today. Try to explain someone, who's not familiar with the panels and judging, why there was zero reduction in their SPs and such a massive drop in the FS two days later... Same with Bradie yesterday.
Independent from this Jun is the better performer for me. Hope, team cricket can fix his UR issues in the future. However, I don't expect any miracles at Worlds yet.

Happy for Keegan, too. He could finally get his stuff together and perform really well. I had to chuckle a bit, because the shaky landings and impossible savings 100% fit the Chaplin theme :laugh:

icybear

Medalist
Zhou and Cha pcs were way too high considering how many mistakes they made in their program. Esp when Boyang only had the one step out of the quad lutz and still got the same amount of pcs as them

icybear

Medalist
most improvement goes to Keegan. he had a stellar performance tonight.

I really enjoyed Shoma's Moonlight Sonata program. Thinking he is injured and skating with such passion shows his commitment.

Disappointed with Boyang's evolution... Same layout as usual.. not much interpretation of music. He peaks at worlds so I will be waiting to see him there to make my final observations.
He has changed the layout, he took out the quad salchow. Maybe next time make your comments based on facts instead of assumptions.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Shoma Numero Uno! Very happy for Shoma for finally getting the gold. He’s a fighter and I was really moved by his passion and determination. Now please rest and give your ankle some time to heal.
Really happy for Boyang as well. After the season he’s had, recovering from last season’s injury and all, to finally do well here is a great set up for worlds. I was really hoping to use the Uno or Jin pun so I’m glad they went 1-2 :)

But poor Kazuki... his expression at the K&C was heartbreaking and I am back in my corner crying for him :(

(Haven’t had time to watch everything yet so I’ll wrap my comments with just these three)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh my, what a men´s competition... As I read the judges´ scores on Friday, could not help from having a big laugh... Today the same happened, but the laugh was much bigger. Did the technical panel receive some complaints regarding the sp, perhaps? It did not feel the same panel in the freeskate at all, LOL.

I was happy for the medalists, but the performance what I aim to watch and re-watch will be that of Cha!!!

Plumededragon

Medalist
I really wish the technical panel would do his job for ONCE! But once again, they ignored UR for some skaters (like Shoma’s 4F). I do agree that at least it was better than yesterday, but still not enough for this competition to be fairly judged.
I think Shoma and Boyang would still be 1-2 with correct judging, but 3rd would clearly be different. :shrug:

Congrats to Uno for winning his second straight Four Continents with the highest freeskate ever scored under the new system! :clap:

I know world records don't count, but that's an amazing achievement! :agree:
No Boyang erasure, please. ;)

century2009

On the Ice
It was definitely one of the best final group of men with no major errors!

The tech panel woke up and went after Jun and Vincent. But to be fair, there many of their jumps were URed. I think they are now know as UR which is NOT a good thing.

I see Boyang trying, but this program really shows how lacking his skating skills are. The 2 foot skating to the random movement. This is my least favorite LP for Jin because I feel like this is just not him.

However, solid performance for silver. He will need to clean this up for Worlds.

Great fight for Shoma and he really needs to rest because the bigger battle is happening at Worlds.

Glad Jason at least tried the quad. Now he needs to rotate it and land it.

I hope Keegan performance like this for Worlds, because he needs to build his consistency more as he has been all over the place this season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is actually Uno's first 4CC title. Interesting that he placed sequentially from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd and finally wins on his fifth try. Improvement step by step. ;)

So it is, his first 4CC! Must have been a huge frustration for him and his fans, coming close but never winning the 4CC title - so kudos to him on finally winning it. :biggrin:

Congrats to Jin too on the silver and Zhou for hanging on to win bronze. Huge skate for Keegan too! :)

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Congratulations to all. Worlds is a different stage so it is on to worlds. Season flew by so fast.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He has changed the layout, he took out the quad salchow. Maybe next time make your comments based on facts instead of assumptions.

But if he took out the 4S doesn't that make him less competitive? Not that it mattered... he still skated awesome although Uno was out of reach here.

FanFan3256

Rinkside

Well done, men!

Jason Brown didn’t land his quad salchow. He tried it, which is a great, it’s about time....

century2009

On the Ice
But if he took out the 4S doesn't that make him less competitive? Not that it mattered... he still skated awesome although Uno was out of reach here.

Shoma will need the 4L back for Worlds and dont think that will happen since he said he hasnt practice it for a year.

If Hanyu does not have the 4Loop, Shoma can compete with him without the 4Loop as well.

He wont rival Nathan without it as Nathan brought back the 4Lz, and planning to bring the 4S. So he would have 5 quads and 6 altogether if he wants.

This is my least favorite LP for Jin because I feel like this is just not him.

Really? Worse than Star Wars?

But if he took out the 4S doesn't that make him less competitive?

He planned it and took it out after practice.

His layout planned was different because he had his 4T as the second to last jump, as well as the two final spins being back-to-back (which didn't change, making the layout executed different, too).

Anyway, not changing a layout being somehow against the development of a skater is worthless criticism. Either the layout goes with the music, or it doesn't. Nor would I say it had bad interpretation, more a poor performance.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Shoma will need the 4L back for Worlds and dont think that will happen since he said he hasnt practice it for a year.

If Hanyu does not have the 4Loop, Shoma can compete with him without the 4Loop as well.

He wont rival Nathan without it as Nathan brought back the 4Lz, and planning to bring the 4S. So he would have 5 quads and 6 altogether if he wants.

Nathan can't do 6 quads without a 4Lo and he hasn't even attempted it since his disastrous Japan Open FS at the start of the season. It seems equally unlikely that Nathan will compete a 4Lo this season.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just wanted to add a word about Julian Yee's FS as one of the evening's highlights for me... exuberant, joyful, he loves performing for an audience and I give him credit for his competitive spirit!! :luv17:
Coming from one if the world's smallest federations he really holds it together with style. Hope he makes it to the Gala!!