2019 4CCs: Men's FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Men's FS

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown didn’t land his quad salchow. He tried it, which is a great, it’s about time....

It is good that he tried it, but I've heard multiple reports he is landing them in practice - can anyone confirm?

century2009

On the Ice
Yeah, that is what I mean. If he really wants to practice the 4loop he can as he has done it before well.

Anyways, he wont need it at this point.

5 quads is more than enough given that his 4 quad program alone is so strong if he performs like he did at National. It is just not beatable.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He has changed the layout, he took out the quad salchow. Maybe next time make your comments based on facts instead of assumptions.

by same layout as usual i meant : skates skates skates.. goes for the 4 lutz at the back of the rink.. then comes back for second quad... here it was toe... doesn't matter to me if he does toe or salchow there.. but it's the same pattern which is followed always by the 3aeu3s etc

i didn't say that he could have skated to any music like some people have said about many skaters on here... but to me, what makes a program exciting is that the jumps, spins and footwork highlight the music. In this case, it is the opposite. The music is not yet a major part of this program and when it is such a strong piece, it is difficult.

I much preferred his Star Wars program in that sense. The choreography in Star Wars was making it believable.. Here, he was often not in synch with the rhythm of the music.

When someone says he is disappointed with a skater's evolution, and that he is saving his final thoughts for worlds, he means that he is hoping for a better cohesion in the program, and a better performance. In other words, I can see things the way they are right now : not very good... and wishing the skater will improve.

If you are satisfied with Boyang's performance, then that's good for you. I am not. I want better. He can do better and then, I will also happily cheer. RIght now, i repeat, I am disappointed with his evolution. He is no longer a rookie on the circuit. He has been around for a while and has major hardware around his neck. In my opinion, it's time he shows something better than that... some people fresh from juniors skate better with the music already.

YMMV

Somi

Rinkside
It was great seeing Shoma shove it to the skeptics faces but if Zhou and Cha got called on so many of their rotations than Shoma should've gotten called on his too. :confused:

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Shoma will need the 4L back for Worlds and dont think that will happen since he said he hasnt practice it for a year.

If Hanyu does not have the 4Loop, Shoma can compete with him without the 4Loop as well.

He wont rival Nathan without it as Nathan brought back the 4Lz, and planning to bring the 4S. So he would have 5 quads and 6 altogether if he wants.

In the words of Brian Orser, "Never underestimate Mr. Hanyu". Period.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is good that he tried it, but I've heard multiple reports he is landing them in practice - can anyone confirm?

Tracy Wilson, Brian Orser, Jackie Wong and indirectly Phil Hersh have reported Jason landing rotated quads. They reported this from in person observations.

Personally I accept those reports more than reviews of fancams, but that’s just me ;)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Jackie Wong confirmed one good 4S in practice. Jason made multiple tries and had under-rotations, step downs, hand down or fall. But one was fully rotated and landed. According to Tracy, there were others in practice as well at Nationals. Apparently he lands them more consistently on home ice practice in Toronto, but they are not fully consistent yet.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tracy Wilson, Brian Orser, Jackie Wong and indirectly Phil Hersh have reported Jason landing rotated quads. They reported this from in person observations.

Personally I accept those reports more than reviews of fancams, but that’s just me ;)

El Henry Ya beat me to it! Jackie is a non-biased reporter, so I consider his report firm evidence of a completed quad in practice. And of course I believe Tracy and Brian. They wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
El Henry Ya beat me to it! Jackie is a non-biased reporter, so I consider his report firm evidence of a completed quad in practice. And of course I believe Tracy and Brian. They wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

Jackie is biased but his practice reports are very trustworthy.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown didn’t land his quad salchow. He tried it, which is a great, it’s about time....

You're correct. But also ... he's been trying it for a long time. This time, he didn't pop it, he rotated mostly; it counted as a quad< in the scoring. I would think and hope that it feels like progress to him. The quad is out there, now he can work on getting it better in competition.

It wouldn't surprise me if he shows more progress with it at Worlds. Remembering, of course, that progress can sometimes be two-steps-forward, one-step-back.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Edge calls and Underrotations: I have one request: call them all or call none of them for everyone regardless of reputation or world standing. The difference in the SP and LP judging by the Tech panel was baffling and I think really does the skaters a disservice. Especially with Vincent. When he is getting such mixed messages it gets easier and easier to deny there is an issue. You listen to the voice that is loudest and the voice you want to hear.

4ever..did you like this cut of Moonlight Sonata? I know you have said you are picky about it.

Other than thinking that Keiji really seemed to get the short end of the judging stick and feeling that Shoma's GOEs should not be so much higher than Jin's on jumps I was okay with the results. I think Keegan should have been 3rd but at least he has the small medal.

slider11

Medalist
Congratulations to Shoma on a well-deserved win. But I do have an issue with his components being so much higher than Jason Brown's. Shoma's got the full package with superior technical and excellent components but if they are to be assessed and scored separately then I think either Shoma's need to come down or Jason's up. I get that a quad is harder to perform but Shoma get huge technical points for that difficult endeavor. Jason't performance is just so organic and musical. Every part of Jason's body skates.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edge calls and Underrotations: I have one request: call them all or call none of them for everyone regardless of reputation or world standing. The difference in the SP and LP judging by the Tech panel was baffling and I think really does the skaters a disservice. Especially with Vincent. When he is getting such mixed messages it gets easier and easier to deny there is an issue. You listen to the voice that is loudest and the voice you want to hear.

That "reputation" scoring goes both ways. Some skaters unfairly get scrutinized every time, while others don't. So it isn't just about standing or positive reputation.

And isn't that exactly the problem? URs are not going to be seen the same by different people. Michael Weiss and the others on Ice Desk talked about whether certain skaters would get called on URs, but they refrained from talking about whether the skaters would UR. It's all about whether or not URs would be called .... which is a completely different thing.

Other than thinking that Keiji really seemed to get the short end of the judging stick

I was so thrilled with Keiji's SP. It's like the perfect match of skater with music, mood, and intent. It really showed me Keiji in a new light! Thanks for reminding me that I intended to say something about him.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
At first I felt bad for Vincent and then I saw how Cha's score dropped... The technical controller should really be shamed of herself.
It was great seeing Shoma shove it to the skeptics faces but if Zhou and Cha got called on so many of their rotations than Shoma should've gotten called on his too. :confused:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shoma skated great, but I am just utterly baffled by that nearly +3 GOE on that 4 toeloop, like..... :unsure:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That "reputation" scoring goes both ways. Some skaters unfairly get scrutinized every time, while others don't. So it isn't just about standing or positive reputation.

That also goes for the many posters who have nominated themselves as experts on whether a skater URs or not.

It is revealing to notice the sh-tstorms of hate and criticism Zhou got in the last few days for URs, but Cha had a small fraction of the criticism aimed at Vincent. That tells me something.

And please don't accuse me of wishing that Cha would get as much criticism as Zhou did and does. That's not my intention at all ... if anyone thinks that, they're projecting their own demons onto me.

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Seems popular to hate on Vincent - though guess this isn’t new. Last Worlds he went from mostly under the radar to the subject of some rather intense hate after the SP.

Junhwan has had previous UR not called this season - I was surprised he got called on so many in the FS here.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
from Vincent Zhou:
“I thought that I skated great today,” said the 2017 World Junior champion. “The most important thing that I got from today was the love for the sport. The audience was absolutely incredible and they helped me feel good about how I skated. I think that I did a good job at this competition and I made many improvements upon my previous performances.

Vincent is an emotional person and an emotional skater. This is amazing, that he's been able ALL YEAR to withstand the criticism thrown out and whirling about him. Think about it: if you were him, how would you have felt after the horrid SP storm? Vincent is able to keep what he loves about figure skating in the forefront of his mind, while also working hard All Year to improve his skating. That's what I call mental strength, being tested at its maximum.

from Junhwan Cha:
I learned a lot, especially about controlling myself when I got nervous and competing in front of a big audience cheering for me.

I was thinking about this while watching another skater. It's another whole skill level, especially if one is a performer at heart, to keep calm and focused on the next thing.

from Shoma Uno:
“Instead of just pulling myself back, I believed in doing what I had to do and I kept going. There weren’t a lot of happy emotions when I collapsed, it was like, ‘I really did it’.

All these great quotes are from the GS article. thoughts?
https://goldenskate.com/2019/02/revived-uno-rallies-to-capture-first-four-continent-title/