2019 4CCs: FD | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: FD

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
cbf.jpg

In a surprising turn of events, USA's Madison Chock and Evan Bates took gold in the the Ice Dance at the 2019 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships on Sunday afternoon, while teammates Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue slid to fourth place. Canadian champions Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje won the silver, while teammates Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier earned the bronze.

"The performance was actually not disappointing at all, we’re very pleased overall," said Hubbell. "We’ve only heard a little bit, but our first lift, which is a stationary, is considered to travel just so much that we did not get any level or GOE for that element. That’s very unfortunate. Certainly we would rather it happens here than the Worlds, so maybe it’s a good wake-up call to make sure that everything is good for Worlds."

More...

What are your thoughts on the FD? Who do you feel is the most improved this season?

Last edited:

yuna13

On the Ice
F/S : great program but tonight , they weren’t perfect. She was off balance after the slid move and he also had a moment where he hit the board.

H/B: are good but they still look a bit junior to me.

W/P vs G/P: Piper and paul free is the best fd this year.
When you have a program like that it should make the difference and they should’ve been ahead of W/P overall. I love W/P free too but G/P dance is a masterpiece.

C/B / They won!!:yahoo: No mistakes, great interpretation, theirs lifts are :points:

H/D : Madison was not perfect, I noted 2 off balance moments and the twizzles. But then I saw the tech score and I was like ok they are going to win…
How did they loose 7 pts? I heard they said stationary lift in the k n c.

When i think i almost didn't watch it live cause i thought that nothing would happen. Glad my love for piper and paul free dance made me watch.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well this was a surprise! I was hoping Weaver and Poje would capture the gold with Giles and Poirier taking the silver. For me the most improved team is Gilles and Poirier and their program to Don McLean's Vincent is the most beautiful free dance in my opinion. I also love Weaver and Poje's program which they've dedicated to the late Dennis Ten. Anyway, well done team Canada!

Not a huge Chock and Bates fan, I thought Hubble/Donohue would be ahead of them. Oh well.

H/D : Madison was not perfect, I noted 2 off balance moments and the twizzles. But then I saw the tech score and I was like ok they are going to win…
How did they loose 7 pts? I heard they say stationary lift in the k n c.

The protocol says StLiB with the base value of 1.00. I don't understand why? I appreciate some explanation from more expert fans.

I forgot to say I also wished for Kaitlyn and Andrew to get the gold. I just love them :luv17:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Apparently Zac travelled during the Stationary lift and/or Madison's foot touched the ice early, which was enough to invalidate it... Also lost points on the dance spin (Lv4 - Lv 2)
And I thought we were finally done with drama in ice dance... :shocked:

H/D are not my favourite couple, but I really felt sorry for them here, I think they were perhaps harshly done by? I don't think anyone, including C/B were expecting those scores.

But on the flip side... WeaPo silver AND PIPER AND PAUL PODIUM!!

Roast Toast

Medalist
Apparently Zac travelled during the Stationary lift, which was enough to invalidate it... Also lost points on the dance spin (Lv4 - Lv 2)

That can't be it... My guess is Madison's foot must have touched down at some point? Traveling shouldn't bring you down to base level...

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
What happened with H/D, for good or for worse, was the epitome of the word SHENANIGANS. I only tuned in for the last group and I was flabbergasted! :drama: (And to think the exhibition is only in a couple of hours omg...)

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
That can't be it... My guess is Madison's foot must have touched down at some point? Traveling shouldn't bring you down to base level...

Apparently some people are saying her foot did touch down early, I don't know enough about Ice Dance protocol to know what would be a factor in it!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

In the replies of the tweet they say that’s what happened. Well better here than worlds. I’ve got to be at work in six hours so night guys.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the mixed zone:

"The performance was actually not disappointing at all, we’re very pleased overall," said Hubbell. "We’ve only heard a little bit, but our first lift, which is a stationary, is considered to travel just so much that we did not get any level or GOE for that element. That’s very unfortunate. Certainly we would rather it happens here than the Worlds, so maybe it’s a good wake-up call to make sure that everything is good for Worlds."

GGFan

Record Breaker
Them doing that lift over the letters on the ice makes it really clear just how much H/D travelled. Can't say that I'm mad at the judges as long as they're being consistent with those calls.

Having said that the rest of the top 6 was so enjoyable. One great performance after another. :hap10:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
After what happened in the RD, levels came back to bite with a vengence :dev2:

What a stellar final group. For me, ice dance competitions this season have been missing that magic but this event brought it back. I'm glad to see that the inspired programs and skating made the podium here. And the two teams, Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje, who didn't compete on the Grand Prix showed that they shouldn't be underestimated and have put themselves into the medal conversation for Worlds.

Shoutout also to Wang/Liu, who after their RD mishap, skated their best FD yet this season.

Them doing that lift over the letters on the ice makes it really clear just how much H/D travelled.

It's hard to tell on TV or live stream, though. The camera is continually moving, making lots of spins and lifts appear to travel.

GGFan

Record Breaker
It's hard to tell on TV or live stream, though. The camera is continually moving, making lots of spins and lifts appear to travel.

Oh I didn't catch it live and I wouldn't have known to look for it anyway. It was just helpful to me in understanding the explanation.