2019 4CCs: FD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: FD

Nathan13

Medalist
Well a shocking ending, but I can't help but be over the moon for my favorite team across all disciplines for winning Gold!!! They said they wanted to show their love of skating this year, and that's exactly what they do every time. Sometimes you see skaters switch on during their performance and switch off once it's over. Madi and Evan exude just this glowing happiness and genuine joy to be out there--it is infectious and I am so proud to be a Chock and Bates fan!!:yahoo:

sx98423

On the Ice
this was probably the best result i could've hoped for i love madi and evan so much :luv17: and wang/liu did so good!!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The tendency towards stasis in ice dance rankings means that when mistakes do happen it feels like shifting tectonic plates.

Chock and Bates' "Fever" and Gilles and Poirier's "Vincent" are two of my three favourite senior dance programs of the season (the other is, of course, Fear and Gibson's disco medley), so I was happy with the free dance rankings.

Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen had a strong debut on the international scene for Canada. I think they're now very likely the tenth team in the Worlds top ten, though there'll be some jostling for that spot for sure.

Wang and Liu are a really strong developing team for China, and I liked Chen and Sun as well.

And a shoutout to Andrew Dodds, the patron saint of stamina in figure skating.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am very happy with the podium, but didn't expect it to happen this way (nor did any of the skaters)

great performances all around!

H/D's not-so-stationary-but-not-quite-rotational stationary lift was unfortunate, but I'm sure they'll work on making sure it doesn't happen again and will come back strong for worlds

FanFan3256

Rinkside
I’m excited about the results! Congrats to the winners! The better teams this season... are on the podium! No one thought H/D would not win! Not even the skaters from what I saw....The top teams are pretty close @ 4CC IMO. Congrats P/G!!!

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I'm going to go back to you tube and check out all of H/D's free skates this season to look at that lift.

This shows how perfect we expect these dance teams to be. One little mistake and Hubbell and Donohue drop from first place to off the podium.

I always root for my hometown kids Chock and Bates, whom I have followed since they were juniors with different partners. :love:

But for me, Gilles and Poirier were the stars of this show. This team always manages to come up with something different and interesting to watch. This time they knocked it out of the park. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The tendency towards stasis in ice dance rankings means that when mistakes do happen it feels like shifting tectonic plates.

Really. I was sitting here going ho hum, my babies (H/B) in 5th, 2 Canadian teams in 3rd and 4th, C/B in 2nd, H/D 1st...yawn yawn yawn. then...Huh? What the heck just happened?

readernick

Medalist
Loved Chock and Bates and thought they were the deserved winners given their performance in the rd and long dance combined. I also love Gilles and Poirer and their free dance. It is an amazing program and first place could have gone either way for me in the long but I think C/B rd was better so I agree with the final result.

I will admit to not being the biggest Weaver/Poje fan. They are beautiful people and their dances are beautiful but they always seem flat to me. However, they performed well. Their free dance just lacks genuine emotion for me.

The 3rd ranked US and Canadian teams are both very talented. I think I prefer the Canadians they have so much power and attack. But, they were also really messy in the free so I think the final result was fair.

Sad about Hubbell/ Donahue. I don't really like their free dance (I think almost everyone agrees with me) but they are the best skaters here and I think in the world (with the obvious exception of P/C) so I was sad to see them get such an unexpectedly low score. They need to focus on their levels and execution from now until worlds. I am sure their next competition will be better.

Shout out to the Chinese team, too. They have improved so much!

Shani

On the Ice
Loved Chock and Bates and Gilles and Poirier. This was the correct placement. So glad.

Bcash

Final Flight
Happy for Chock/Bates and not too worried about H/D.

W/P. Beautiful people but Kaitlin really needs to have more sweep in her movement, deeper knee bends, for their skating to have more of an oomph.

G/P. Pleasing program. But I don’t share people’s enthusiasm for it. Vincent is a song that’s as mushy and sentimental as some of the other often maligned musical choices. And that fast section including that rotational lift still looks awkward. Piper’s skating and body line is just not as good as other top female ice dancers or as Paul’s.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm just not a fan of this Gadbois-style presentation. It looks so fake.

I didn’t really notice until you see several Gadbois teams in a row but they definitely have a method that all the teams follow. What makes Papadakis & Cizeron special (and to a lesser extent perhaps because they still get imput from their British Alexandra Palace coaches Fear & Gibson) is they take that style and totally make it their own.

I think we’re starting to see that you need to have a strong personal identity to stand out with Gadbois but that they still do improve their teams technicallly.

I didn’t really notice until you see several Gadbois teams in a row but they definitely have a method that all the teams follow. What makes Papadakis & Cizeron special (and to a lesser extent perhaps because they still get imput from their Alexandra Palace coaches Fear & Gibson) is they take that style and totally make it their own.

P/C are special in that way yes. Haven't really found the same for that other team.

V/M also made it work, but that's because it was already their forte.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think V/M helped MF-D and the team invent that style.

Nika09

On the Ice
H/D & Co reactions when scores came up...ohh dear...it was ICONIC! And C/B babies was like :shocked: as well.