The Genius of Dubreuil and Lauzon | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Genius of Dubreuil and Lauzon

Weathergal

Medalist
I know very little about Romain, despite my love of ice dance. Can you tell us a little more about programs he choreographed as opposed to Marie France? I'm not being facetious: I really want to learn more about how they split the work between them.

I believe he choreographed Fear / Gibson's disco FD.

illyria

Spectator
I believe he choreographed Fear / Gibson's disco FD.

Yes he did. Marie France isn’t even one of Fear/Gibson’s listed coaches.
Romain is their choreographer listed on their ISU bio and they also did an interview about him choreographing their programs this season.
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-great-britains-fear-gibson/

Romain also does choreography for the junior teams like L/L. Marie France once said in an interview that Romain does the choreography for the juniors because she isn’t patient enough.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I think Romain is a breath of fresh air at Gadbois this season because he choreographs to music with an actual beat while Marie-France tends to prefer choreographing to the melody. I still think she is the best choreographer in the camp with so many great programs last quad including both MS and Moulin Rouge last year but it hasn't been her best season with some programs looking like straight-up recycled knock-offs like H/D's R&J and H/B's In This Shirt. She needs to find her inspiration again and perhaps switch things up in terms of music choices.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I think Romain is a breath of fresh air at Gadbois this season because he choreographs to music with an actual beat while Marie-France tends to prefer choreographing to the melody. I still think she is the best choreographer in the camp with so many great programs last quad including both MS and Moulin Rouge last year but it hasn't been her best season with some programs looking like straight-up recycled knock-offs like H/D's R&J and H/B's In This Shirt. She needs to find her inspiration again and perhaps switch things up in terms of music choices.

Thank you all for the additional information. Romeo and Juliette was one of my least favorite things this year. To me the start of that program is as campy as the beginning of P/C's Rachel Yamagata free is sophisticated.

Weathergal

Medalist
Yes he did. Marie France isn’t even one of Fear/Gibson’s listed coaches.
Romain is their choreographer listed on their ISU bio and they also did an interview about him choreographing their programs this season.
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/getting-to-know-great-britains-fear-gibson/

Romain also does choreography for the junior teams like L/L. Marie France once said in an interview that Romain does the choreography for the juniors because she isn’t patient enough.

Thanks for confirming -- and thanks so much for the link! I didn't know a lot of the information shared in the article.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
She doen't seem to be helping my babies (H/B) a lot, and she doesn't seem to be able to teach the tango rhythm dance. I know yadda about Tango rhythm dance, but I know what YNNN or NYNN means, and several commentators have commented about her students and the tango. A lot of the top US and Canadian teams have trained with her and had wonderful success, though, so what do I know. Maybe my babies have peaked.

No, don't say that yet! I think they just had the wrong choice for free dance this year. I'm very hopeful for next season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest i expect C/P to pass H/B up soon maybe even by next season. They are at that age where they could in one season become a top 10 team in the world and they are both still teenagers so they should keep improving. I don't see them making a jump like P/C did from 2014 to 2015 mainly because their is much more depth now then in 2015 and P/C's ascension to the top was not the norm for a ice dance team to get to the top so quick in on season.

GGFan

Record Breaker
To be honest i expect C/P to pass H/B up soon maybe even by next season. They are at that age where they could in one season become a top 10 team in the world and they are both still teenagers so they should keep improving. I don't see them making a jump like P/C did from 2014 to 2015 mainly because their is much more depth now then in 2015 and P/C's ascension to the top was not the norm for a ice dance team to get to the top so quick in on season.

Agreed. I wonder if Klimova and Ponomarenko ever sit back and side eye P/C: "do you know how long it took us to climb in the standings?" :biggrin:

1904sk8

On the Ice
I know very little about Romain, despite my love of ice dance. Can you tell us a little more about programs he choreographed as opposed to Marie France? I'm not being facetious: I really want to learn more about how they split the work between them.

Romain started coaching in France with Zazoui when he was 19. He coached Marie-France and Patch when they competed (even though they are around the same age). He coached p/c since they were starting juniors and seems to be their main coach still (they have said in interviews that they would follow him anywhere in the world like they did to canada and trust him completely). Like previous posters said, he choreographed some of my favorite junior programs this season (including L/L) as well as some of the senior programs. His programs this season seem the most unique and interesting to come out of gadbois. The training center really took off in 2014-2015 when Romain moved there bringing p/c with him

GGFan

Record Breaker
Romain started coaching in France with Zazoui when he was 19. He coached Marie-France and Patch when they competed (even though they are around the same age). He coached p/c since they were starting juniors and seems to be their main coach still (they have said in interviews that they would follow him anywhere in the world like they did to canada and trust him completely). Like previous posters said, he choreographed some of my favorite junior programs this season (including L/L) as well as some of the senior programs. His programs this season seem the most unique and interesting to come out of gadbois. The training center really took off in 2014-2015 when Romain moved there bringing p/c with him

:thank: