2019 World Team Trophy | Golden Skate

2019 World Team Trophy

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is always a fun event. It was designed to highlight Japan hence the focus on individual skating where currently for example they are touted for gold in both men and women's and have a strong contingent for the podium by others. Russia looks pretty strong as does the US. Canada is looking very vulnerable

Nirti

Medalist
Will Italy be back in the top6 teams? Last seasons the head-to-head was between Italy and China, but with all the retired/injured skaters in China and the good results of Italy...

Of course Russia USA Canada Japan are qualified and very likely France too.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I LOVE this event!!! Last time it was so much fun, with Team Russia always putting on a show after every single perfomance.

However, I'll be in Ireland that W/E, so I won't be able to watch everything in real time :sad21:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Will Italy be back in the top6 teams? Last seasons the head-to-head was between Italy and China, but with all the retired/injured skaters in China and the good results of Italy...

Of course Russia USA Canada Japan are qualified and very likely France too.

How does the qualifications work? Is it based on last year's worlds or this year? Canada will be in a very different situation this year. Because the focus is on individual skating Canada will possibly get decimated like the last two spots after the sp. THe men are a hug question mark because if Keegan and Nam skate well they could possibly beat the second American, Russian, Chinese etc. USA will be solid though they may lose some ground in pairs. TOp six teams I think would be Russian, US, Japan, Canada, Italy,France, China though Korea could knock Italy or if it is based on this year even Canada could get knocked out. France, Russia and Japan could win two golds at world's. Canada could end up with no medals at all unless they get lucky in ice dance. Italy culd earn medals in pairs, ladies and dance. France is looking good in pairs and dance for gold. Russia has the best shot probably of earning a medal in all 4 disciplines. THeir weakest would be men or dance?

Nirti

Medalist
The complete qualifying system is explained in the "announcement" file, first post here. It takes 2 sheets, so I only copy the main paragraph :biggrin:

"Six (6) ISU Members will qualify based on the scoring scale used for the ISU World Standing points (see
applicable scale in sub-paragraph e) below) scored by its best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters,
the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple primarily at ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events
and Final season 2018/19 and the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2019, plus possibly the ISU
European Figure Skating Championships / ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2019, the ISU
World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2019 and ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2018/19. "

Base on GP only, Russia, Japan and USA are widely already qualified.
France got 4 gold medals, is running for 2 more medals at Worlds... And can hope a not-so-bad result in individual.
Italy got 6 medals and has a diversified team, 2 good men, 1 good pair, 1 good dance team. If Kostner goes to Worlds, they can earn ladies points too.
Canada got 4 medals... High points for pairs and dance, and Keegan Messing did well too. Indeed, the qualification of Canada is not as granted as I thought, but it should be ok.
China got all their 3 medals in pairs, sent only 1 men, 0 ladies... Even if Boyang Jin wins the Worlds, I don't see how they could qualify. Only one pair count, so they couldn't add the results of Sui/Han and Peng/Jin...

Korea has no competitive pair and ice dance team currently, so is out of race.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
so wich team will qualify? russia, japan, usa, canada, italy, france?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Does Japan have another pairs team since R/K are injured.

Yes, the junior pair Miura and Ichihashi who competed at JWC. If Kihara is still in recovery, Miura and Ichihashi should be able to replace as the team will move up to senior level next season (Ichihashi will age out for junior category).

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was just posted in Shoma's FF. Bringing it here too.

Team Japan lineup, with Misato Komatsubara as the captain:

Singles: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka
Pairs: Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi (juniors)
Dance: Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
papadakis/cizeron are now listed for france, i wonder who the 2nd men will be, xiao him fa?

P44

On the Ice
papadakis/cizeron are now listed for france, i wonder who the 2nd men will be, xiao him fa?

I think so. Who else could it be?
And I guess he has no reason to refuse.

I don't know if there is right now an official list for France but Gabriella Papadakis said she would go and Morgan and Vanessa too I believe. She said that this year there was a good team for France.
So I guess there will be Laurine Lecavelier and Mae Berenice Meite for ladies and Kevin Aymoz and Adam Siao Him Fa for men.
(It's not like there's a big choice anyway :laugh:)

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This was just posted in Shoma's FF. Bringing it here too.

Team Japan lineup, with Misato Komatsubara as the captain:

Singles: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka
Pairs: Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi (juniors)
Dance: Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto

Go Team Japan! Great experience for M/I before entering seniors :)

I think so. Who else could it be?
And I guess he has no reason to refuse.

Romain Ponsart?
Is he injured?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I LOVE this event!!! Last time it was so much fun, with Team Russia always putting on a show after every single perfomance.

However, I'll be in Ireland that W/E, so I won't be able to watch everything in real time :sad21:

The Team Challange Cup in Spokane was a fun event also....

LadyB

Record Breaker
The Team Challange Cup in Spokane was a fun event also....

Yes, in a different way. I remember it very fondly as Stolbova / Klimov were in it...
I hope they'll do it again next year. And I remember how excited you were :)