Does the resulting depth of the ROH depend on blade width? | Golden Skate

Does the resulting depth of the ROH depend on blade width?

1111bm

Final Flight
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering, would the same radius of hollow have more depth (i.e. have more grip or bite) on a thicker blade, than on a thinner one?
I hope it's clear what I mean, but I could attach a drawing to illustrate further what I mean. :laugh:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For a fixed radius of hollow (ROH), the depth of hollow (DOH) increases as the blade thickness increases. You do get more bite with a thicker blade (for a fixed ROH); however, not because the DOH is greater, but because the included angle of the edge is smaller and the bite angle of the edge is larger. If you're interested in the gnurdy math, I can post a diagram with the trig equations.

1111bm

Final Flight
For a fixed radius of hollow (ROH), the depth of hollow (DOH) increases as the blade thickness increases. You do get more bite with a thicker blade (for a fixed ROH); however, not because the DOH is greater, but because the included angle of the edge is smaller and the bite angle of the edge is larger. If you're interested in the gnurdy math, I can post a diagram with the trig equations.

Thank you very much! So I was right indeed. (I understand what you mean by saying that it's not the DOH per se that is responsible for the greater bite, but I meant to say that it's still linked to the bigger DOH when the ROH is fixed)

No need for a diagram, but thank you. As I said, I made my own drawing to check if my assumption was right, and the difference in angle was very apparent, I just wanted someone to confirm that. :thumbsup: