Moves in the field | Golden Skate

Moves in the field

GBs mom

Rinkside
For those figure skaters with a moves in the field coach, once you/your child passed a moves test, did you/he/she immediately start on the next? How long did it take between tests?

My daughter has been working with a moves coach for a few months and is close to ready to test pre preliminary moves. However, she wants to be competitive, so won't take the free skate test until she has her axel, which I'm guessing could be a bit. My hunch is she will progress more quickly through the moves in the field than free skate, but wasn't sure if it's typical to keep going with moves or do you wait until your free skate catches up?

jf12

Final Flight
For those figure skaters with a moves in the field coach, once you/your child passed a moves test, did you/he/she immediately start on the next? How long did it take between tests?

My daughter has been working with a moves coach for a few months and is close to ready to test pre preliminary moves. However, she wants to be competitive, so won't take the free skate test until she has her axel, which I'm guessing could be a bit. My hunch is she will progress more quickly through the moves in the field than free skate, but wasn't sure if it's typical to keep going with moves or do you wait until your free skate catches up?

Yes, you usually do start on the next one right away. It's common for competitive skaters to be 2-3 moves levels ahead of where they compete freestyle, the idea being that you have to work on skating skills constantly anyway, might as well use the moves tests to do so. Some competitive skaters who test moves/freestyle at the same time would typically be working on similar skating skills just as much, just in a different way.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
for me, I tested both prepre mif and freestyle the same day (fs was just performing elements) and then i tested prelim mif and freestyle seperately since I didn't have solid single jumps or want to compete at a higher level for comp. For mif, I'm working on prejuv and juv, with other elements from other tests, and I am working on my axel.

Sibelius

On the Ice
My skater just passed Pre-Juvenile MITF 2 weeks ago and has yet to take Pre-Preliminary FS. She has her Axel and is working on her lower doubles. There's really no advantage to taking Pre-Pre FS at this point since she can always skate up from No Test as it is. She and her coach are working on a program for the early season competitions that will also be used in her test whenever they decide she's ready. Hopefully later on in the year when she's landing her doubles she can then skate up to Preliminary FS.

And yes, actually she started working on Juvenile MITF when her moves coach decided her Pre-Juv was solid enough to pass. She has most of those elements now and will test in a couple of months.

concorde

Medalist
Different coaches have different views. Some say the two need to be balanced while others say knock out MIF as soon as possible.

My daughter passed her Senior MIF when she was still skating Juv.

eonice

Rinkside
My coach typically has me working on elements from the next test way before I'm ready to take the current one. I don't do freestyle though, so not sure if it's relevant.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
MIF generally get progressed in and passed before other tests like FS.