Video game music? :) | Golden Skate

Video game music? :)

energywithin22

Rinkside
Does anyone know of ANY choreographies/programmes skated to music from a video game? There is SO MUCH beautiful music in games and yet I don't think I've ever seen anyone skate to it, be it competition or gala

PS I'm new here, please don't eat me :D

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Ah, my favorite topic of conversation! :)

Kevin Reynolds had a fair few programs! Undoubtedly the best VGM figure skater (also anime music, Tank! from Cowboy Bebop, and a bunch of Gala programs were also set to anime music, IIRC).

Chrono Trigger/Cross (Yasunori Mitsuda)
Final Fantasy (Illusionary World, from the FF III arrange album Celtic Moon) by Nobuo Uematsu
Ni no Kuni (Joe Hisaishi, yes *that* Joe Hisaishi, better known among the fans here as the composer of the two pieces that make up Hanyu’s Hope & Legacy program)
Legend of Zelda

Edit to add: wasn’t there a pairs or ice dance pair recently that also had an EX to Mario? *frown*

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The first section of Virtue/Moir 2017 LP is Pilgrims on a long journey from Child of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQofAkprrs

Wow... I had no idea (never played Child of Light, though I've certainly heard a lot about it).
The really scary thing is, I have no recollection whatsoever of this program. I must've seen it a bunch of times (heck, I can see myself sitting in the audience there in that youtube video), but... there's nothing. Big empty hole in my mind. When I'm more awake, I'm gonna sit down and really properly enjoy watching this! :thumbsup:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone know of ANY choreographies/programmes skated to music from a video game? There is SO MUCH beautiful music in games and yet I don't think I've ever seen anyone skate to it, be it competition or gala

PS I'm new here, please don't eat me :D

I'd love to see more actually, it would be a lovely way to connect with younger fans and yes, a lot of it these days is gorgeous. If anyone's done Morrowind, PLEASE let me know...

One of the reasons I love Kevin Reynolds is his adventurous choices in music (well, that and the way he so looked like an anime with hobbity hair. Oh yes, and the skating :laugh: )

energywithin22

Rinkside
Ah, my favorite topic of conversation! :)

Kevin Reynolds had a fair few programs! Undoubtedly the best VGM figure skater (also anime music, Tank! from Cowboy Bebop, and a bunch of Gala programs were also set to anime music, IIRC).

Chrono Trigger/Cross (Yasunori Mitsuda)
Final Fantasy (Illusionary World, from the FF III arrange album Celtic Moon) by Nobuo Uematsu
Ni no Kuni (Joe Hisaishi, yes *that* Joe Hisaishi, better known among the fans here as the composer of the two pieces that make up Hanyu’s Hope & Legacy program)
Legend of Zelda

Edit to add: wasn’t there a pairs or ice dance pair recently that also had an EX to Mario? *frown*

I happen to love Ghibli movies so I know quite a lot of Hisaishi's music :D I completely forgot that Reynolds skated also to VGM :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu's The Final Time Traveler EX is from a video game called Time Travelers.

Won't someone, anyone, please rectify the travesty that is the fact that no one has skated an EX to One Winged Angel? PLEASE? :drama:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Aw yeah. I adored The Final Time Traveler song long, long before Hanyu ever skated to it. Cried buckets of tears when I saw him perform it live. It’s my fave EX. :)
One-Winged Angel is iconic. It needs to be a perfect program. I’m sure someone could pull it off with a nice outfit with one big wing!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Quite a few skaters teams have used the Assassin 's Creed Revelations trailer music, played by Woodkid. (Iron) and the music from the second cinematic trailer for Assassin's Creed Unity, ("The Golden Age") also by Woodkid

"Run Boy Run," also by Woodkid, was nominated for Best Short Form Music Video at the 2013 Grammy Awards. The song was used in the trailer for the game Dying Light. It has been used by many skaters.

2018-2019

Stephen Gogolev CAN
SP: "Run Boy Run" by Yoann Lemoine, performed by Woodkid; choreo by Mary Angela Larmer, David Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_fPSZi6Xc

Alex Johnson USA
FS: "The Golden Age," "Iron," and "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne

Calvin Pratama INA
FS: "Waves" by Dean Lewis; "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; choreo by Bong Agus Nugroho

Dinh Tran USA
FS: "Golden Age" by Woodkid; "Volcano" by Woodkid; "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; choreo by Alex Chang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5AIq8cBIyk

Amy Lin TPE
SP "Now We Are Free" (from "Gladiator" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; choreo by Nadia Kanaeva, Adam Rippon

Kyarha Van Tiel NED
FS: "Iron" by Woodkid; "Golden Age" by Woodkid; "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; choreo by Adam Solya

2017- 2018
Kevin Aymoz FRA
FS: "O" by Coldplay, "Conquest of Space" by Woodkid, "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid; arr. by Maxime Rodriguez; choreo by Silvia Fontana, John Zimmerman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OL4W4FKJQ0

2016-2017
Cecilia Törn & Jussiville Partanen FIN (dance)
FD "Stonemilker" by Björk, "The Golden Age" by Woodkid; choreo by Massimo Scali, Marina Zueva, Maurizio Margaglio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuM7pC2PDNs

2015-2016
Spirit Seniors GBR (synchro team)
SP Run Boy Run by Woodkid

2014-15

Shotaro Omori USA
SP Run Boy Run by Woodkid; choreo by Mark Pillay

Mae Berenice Meite FRA
LP Conquest of Spaces by Woodkid, Shadows by Woodkid, Run Boy Run by Woodkid; choreo by Sandra Garde, Laurie May, Robin Cousins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfxK8Jrc8gA

2013-2014
Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron FRA)
FD Iron by Woodkid; Run Boy Run by Woodkid; Brotsjor by Olafur Arnalds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKe8q_PpMVA

Last edited:

Danibellerika

Medalist
I've been wanting someone to skate to the full orchestral To Zanarkand ever since I first heard it for FFX like 20 years ago (Sasha Cohen mainly). And now I really want some to skate to FFXV's Omnis Lacrima and Somnus. I did dub over Chopin with Yuzu skating to the piano version just to get an idea of what it could be like once, but it's not as satisfying as the real thing would be (and yeah, I know, that's Chopin and only Chopin). So, I'll be old, grey, and likely dead before any of that that happens. I've accepted it so I just listen to it and imagine it in my own head. There are so many Japanese skaters too and many play games. I don't get how they don't hear that awesomeness and think that it could be a good idea.

But no, we'll continue to use the 50,000 Moulin rouges, Libertangos, and Carmens, and everything else that's been done to death.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
I've been wanting someone to skate to the full orchestral To Zanarkand ever since I first heard it for FFX like 20 years ago (Sasha Cohen mainly). And now I really want some to skate to FFXV's Omnis Lacrima and Somnus. I did dub over Chopin with Yuzu skating to the piano version just to get an idea of what it could be like once, but it's not as satisfying as the real thing would be (and yeah, I know, that's Chopin and only Chopin). So, I'll be old, grey, and likely dead before any of that that happens. I've accepted it so I just listen to it and imagine it in my own head. There are so many Japanese skaters too and many play games. I don't get how they don't hear that awesomeness and think that it could be a good idea.

But no, we'll continue to use the 50,000 Moulin rouges, Libertangos, and Carmens, and everything else that's been done to death.

I want to see an entire event where everyone just skates to Carmen next year. I want the camera to pan to the judges as they fall asleep. :popcorn: