(Another) blade question | Golden Skate

(Another) blade question

energywithin22

Rinkside
Ok, maybe the question will be a bit different since it's gonna be more detailed :) I'm skating on Aspire XP and I don't want my next blade to be too round like CA, from what I have read the Eclipse Pinnacle sound like something for me but I guess they are too high for my level.. so I'd love to basically buy a bit more advanced blade (than the Aspire XP, I mean) with a similar profile (i think that's how you call it? :biggrin: )

A small background - I am an adult skater, 28 y.o. female. I'm skating for 10 months now, 8 months in Jacksons Freestyle. I typically skate 5 days a week, started doing double sessions on Sundays, I want to increase the skating hours from 8 to 10 hours. I also practice quitte a lot off Ice but I don't know if that's relevant. I feel very comfortable on ice, have decent speed, I also feel comfortable just 'fooling around' to music, doing some kicks, back spirals, deep lunges, some one foot turns etc.etc. Basically, I would say (please don't take it as bragging) that I'm pretty good for someone who's been skating for 10 months now :hap57:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm skating on Aspire XP and I don't want my next blade to be too round like CA, from what I have read the Eclipse Pinnacle sound like something for me but I guess they are too high for my level.. so I'd love to basically buy a bit more advanced blade (than the Aspire XP, I mean) with a similar profile (i think that's how you call it?
<Emphasis added>> "Too round" in which respect? The main rocker, the spin rocker, or both?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’m guessing you are looking for an 8’ main rocker? The Eclipse Pinnacle is an 8’ blade but it is pretty expensive / high level for what you’re doing, and it also has a fairly round spin rocker (like the MK Professional / Gold Seal). The CA is a 7’ main rocker, so it’s a bit rounder under the foot, but the spin rocker is a bit flatter (more like the Pattern 99).

Most of the Ultima blades have 8’ main rockers, so the Ultima Legacy might make sense as a step up from the Aspire. It has a similar spin rocker to the CA, but a flatter main rocker (8’ as opposed to the 7’ on the CA). It also comes in a 7’ version (they’re called the Legacy 8 and Legacy 7, respectively), so make sure you’re getting the 8’ rocker.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Eclipse Pinnacle is an 8’ blade but it is pretty expensive / high level for what you’re doing, and it also has a fairly round spin rocker (like the MK Professional / Gold Seal).
<<Emphasis added>> Actually, the Pinnacle has a substantially flatter spin rocker than the genuine Wilson Gold Seal (as confirmed directly by Riedell/Eclipse). Yes, the Pinnacle is billed as "comparable to" the Gold Seal; but as I've said many times, "comparable to" doesn't mean "identical to" and can mean anything an advertising guy wants it to. Same caveat applies to other brands of blades: if certain specs are important to you, check with the manufacturer. I've noticed that many online retailers often post specs without confirming them; so you can't go by their charts.

energywithin22

Rinkside
I was thinking about the Legacy 8, but I'm not sure about the newer (?) model with the weird holes :p does anyone have an experience with these?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you like a flatter rocker then P99 could work, but that would be a pretty advanced blade for you. I love mine, but that's me LOL!

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
I moved up from cheap recreational unbranded blade to the new Legacy 8 (yes, with the weird holes haha!), and it is amazing! The more i look at it, the more i like it.

I've tried a few other blades (cause we exchange used skates and blades in the skate school i go), including the MK Pro and JW CoroAce, but i couldnt stand them because of the 7" rocker and the smaller toepicks.

However, it took me about 4-5 sessions to get used to the Legacy's agressive toepick design (and a few falls on forward stroking xD). But overall, my jumps (working on lutz, got all singles but lutz) improved, my turns feel smoother. The big drag pick and extra sharp cross cut pics helped a lot with my sal and loop (i used to spin the entry a lot - now i cant). Also, i can hold the landing edge so smoothly and it makes such an awesome roaring noise!

I can only recommend these blades. If you are looking for a blade with a flatter profile, this is definitely for you. Also, its a bit cheaper than JW and MK.

energywithin22

Rinkside
I moved up from cheap recreational unbranded blade to the new Legacy 8 (yes, with the weird holes haha!), and it is amazing! The more i look at it, the more i like it.

I've tried a few other blades (cause we exchange used skates and blades in the skate school i go), including the MK Pro and JW CoroAce, but i couldnt stand them because of the 7" rocker and the smaller toepicks.

However, it took me about 4-5 sessions to get used to the Legacy's agressive toepick design (and a few falls on forward stroking xD). But overall, my jumps (working on lutz, got all singles but lutz) improved, my turns feel smoother. The big drag pick and extra sharp cross cut pics helped a lot with my sal and loop (i used to spin the entry a lot - now i cant). Also, i can hold the landing edge so smoothly and it makes such an awesome roaring noise!

I can only recommend these blades. If you are looking for a blade with a flatter profile, this is definitely for you. Also, its a bit cheaper than JW and MK.

Thank you for this answer! I think I'm pretty set on either Legacy 8 or Matrix Legacy :) still, first I'm gonna talk to my coach on our nearest private lesson :D