Tongue pushing downward and into the boot | Golden Skate

Tongue pushing downward and into the boot

Sam L

Medalist
Trying to break in new boots, the left foot is fine but the right I’m finding the tongue is pushing down and forward just behind where the tongue is sewn onto the boot. Do you think I can fix this by heating in the area and reshaping? It’s hard to get into that area because it’s so tight.

After an hour or so of skating I start to feel the creased area over my toes which is annoying.

I’m pulling up and as tight as I can alreadybut it doesn’t stay.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you bought them from a pro shop, instead of online, you should consider having the tech inspect the tongue for a covered manufacturing defect.

Sam L

Medalist
If you bought them from a pro shop, instead of online, you should consider having the tech inspect the tongue for a covered manufacturing defect.

It’s from pro shop. I’m worried it might be a defect. Gees what luck.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I'd certainly return to see what the tech at the pro shop can do.

I would assume that you don't have a lace bar on the tongue. While I have used one to keep the tongue from sliding to the side, I would presume that creative lacing techniques can keep the tongue from sliding down too.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had what sounds like a similar problem. I never looked into a fix for the problem as these were some used Jackson's that I bought for teaching / work days.

In both boots, the tongue rubbed the cuticle on my big toes and it was painful. My solution was to moleskin the area before I put on my socks. I know that's not the solution you're seeking, but you may want to do this temporarily to avoid rubbing the area raw.

Since your boots are new, I too suggest taking them back to your tech to see if there is a defect with the stitching or connecting of the tongue to the boot.

Sam L

Medalist
I'd certainly return to see what the tech at the pro shop can do.

I would assume that you don't have a lace bar on the tongue. While I have used one to keep the tongue from sliding to the side, I would presume that creative lacing techniques can keep the tongue from sliding down too.

I do have a lace bar. It doesn't slide to the side, it slides forward.

Sam L

Medalist
I had what sounds like a similar problem. I never looked into a fix for the problem as these were some used Jackson's that I bought for teaching / work days.

In both boots, the tongue rubbed the cuticle on my big toes and it was painful. My solution was to moleskin the area before I put on my socks. I know that's not the solution you're seeking, but you may want to do this temporarily to avoid rubbing the area raw.

Since your boots are new, I too suggest taking them back to your tech to see if there is a defect with the stitching or connecting of the tongue to the boot.

It's not the stitching, it's the tongue itself. How do I describe this.... You know how the tongue should crease and bend at the ankle area after breaking in? Well imagine the same but it's much lower down and forward near the stitching. That crease or soft area is making the tongue slide forward. Well maybe the stitching isn't strong enough? But I feel like it's the tongue area, not the stitching.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's not the stitching, it's the tongue itself. How do I describe this.... You know how the tongue should crease and bend at the ankle area after breaking in? Well imagine the same but it's much lower down and forward near the stitching. That crease or soft area is making the tongue slide forward. Well maybe the stitching isn't strong enough? But I feel like it's the tongue area, not the stitching.

Sounds to me like there was a manufacturing issue with your tongue. You need to get these checked out and if there is an issue, if the manufacturer will correct the problem for you.

Sam L

Medalist
Sounds to me like there was a manufacturing issue with your tongue. You need to get these checked out and if there is an issue, if the manufacturer will correct the problem for you.

I think I know the problem now. My toes are too flat and the toe box is higher so it's making room and the tongue is slipping into that space. It's worse on my jump landing leg because it's pushing down more. I don't know what to do.

I need the tongue to bend at the ankle rather than push down. Maybe they're not properly broken in yet? I've only had these for 3 weeks. I checked my old Jacksons and they're a lower height in the toe box area only 1.5 inches wheres the Risports are almost 2 inches.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think I know the problem now. My toes are too flat and the toe box is higher so it's making room and the tongue is slipping into that space. It's worse on my jump landing leg because it's pushing down more. I don't know what to do.

I need the tongue to bend at the ankle rather than push down. Maybe they're not properly broken in yet? I've only had these for 3 weeks. I checked my old Jacksons and they're a lower height in the toe box area only 1.5 inches wheres the Risports are almost 2 inches.
Assuming your diagnosis is correct, then cut a piece of spongy foam, cover it with moleskin all around, and insert it over the affected toe area: that is, loosen the laces a lot so you can pull the tongue far out enough to access the bottom of the tongue region; insert your foot in the boot; insert the piece of foam over the affected toe area and below the tongue; then lace up. You will likely need to play around with the firmness, thickness, size, and shape of the piece of foam. If you have problems with the foam sliding, then use a longer piece of thin foam to extend higher up along the top of your foot, and add extra foam in the affected toe area (use glue to secure the extra piece to the main piece).

But do keep track of the warranty period of your new boots. If you continue to have problems, you want the tech to inspect the boots and file a claim prior to expiration of the warranty.

Sam L

Medalist
Problem solved I think I just wasn’t using the lace keeper properly. That’s embarrassing. Now the tongue is holding up and I’m getting more bend I guess it helps that it’s more broken in now also.

ElaineP

Spectator
I have the same problem with my RF3pro. Can you tell me know how you solved the problem?