Lower level competitions in Russia? | Golden Skate

Lower level competitions in Russia?

Naaat

Rinkside
Okay so I was wondering what happens in Russia with 16-18 years old girls who just do doubles and dont do difficult jumps. Are there competitions for them? Or if you dont do triples in Russia you leave the sport?
I am from spain and here there are regional categories for boys and girls who dont reach junior o senior level and just want to compete but also have fun.
I dont know if the title for this thread is correct but I couldnt think of anything else.
Feel free if you are from any other country than russia to describe which is your situation!

Scout

Final Flight
I'd be surprised if there weren't competitions for all ages at all levels, particularly in a country where figure skating is a popular sport.

In Canada, this is the case. I'm not sure the exact age limits, but there are competitions available for children to 70-something years young adults at all skating levels.

katymay

Medalist
Okay so I was wondering what happens in Russia with 16-18 years old girls who just do doubles and dont do difficult jumps. Are there competitions for them? Or if you dont do triples in Russia you leave the sport?
I am from spain and here there are regional categories for boys and girls who dont reach junior o senior level and just want to compete but also have fun.
I dont know if the title for this thread is correct but I couldnt think of anything else.
Feel free if you are from any other country than russia to describe which is your situation!

They have wonderful synchronized skating teams, I suspect that many 15-18 year olds who are not singles competitive perhaps join one of the teams.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Okay so I was wondering what happens in Russia with 16-18 years old girls who just do doubles and dont do difficult jumps. Are there competitions for them?
There are lots of comps for low level but they are for 5-10 y.o. kids mostly. From 11-12 y.o. it is expected that you should learn some triples to be able to progress there - as far as I know.
Or if you dont do triples in Russia you leave the sport?
Yes, pretty much this. Maybe it's possible to participate in kids competition but.. I never heard of adults trying to compete with kids :think: I think it would be considered extremely shameful to do it there :biggrin: Also of course there are skating groups directed to health rather than sport - but I never heard of competitions for them. Probably Russia has more serious, system approach to sport than other countries - in a sense that there are many state sponsored sport schools and programs directed to raising strong athlethes from kids. As a result there are no place for adults in a highly-competitive environment unless you are training from young age as well. So amateurs can do what they want of course - including skating as a hobby - but to be able to participate in tournaments you should reach certain level including TES minimum, sport category class and so on.

P.S.: I just remembered that there is age restrictions for low level competitions as well. So 18 y.o. skaters with only doubles can't do anything there.