COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19 | Golden Skate

COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The title says it all! Who wins your COTY award this year for best costume. Please refrain from disparaging remarks of other people’s nominations and instead tell us why you chose the recipient of your “award” ;)

Tell us why you like it too if you can. Things like it’s the most elegant, most unique, most worthy of discussion, etc. Maybe it fits a program/skater so well or maybe it reinvents a commonly used program in your eyes. I’ve seen a lot of great costumes this season so I’m hopeful that we’ll see a wide range of discussion. I don’t know how to do polls but maybe after a few pages we can tally up the results and see how things stack up here at GS :agree:

My COTY Award goes to:

_BYg5VYkLEQ.jpg

Anna Schcherbakova Rondo Capriccioso :points:

To me it’s wildly extra and fit for royalty. Unique, blingy, sleek, and downright regal. I think it looks great on the ice and is one I’ll remember always. I love gloves and these are on a whole different level. I mean they are like a mix of the Terminator and Picasso. This costume took her to 1st place at Russian Nationals and matched the big charisma we’ve come to know of of her and her standout personality. I’m impressed at the design and think it is a great fit for her and this program. Major highlight for me this season.

It’s your turn Gs Fam!! Who wins your COTY?

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Kaori’s FS costume is so elegant, and the colours just fuse and match the theme perfectly. Imo Anna’s is nice but the shape is rather angular.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I can't choose, so I'm nominating a bunch of candidates :laugh:

- Eunsoo's SP dress - It's elegant, gorgeous, fitting to both the music and squirtle, and it makes her look like an angel. 'Nuff said.

- Piper's FD dress - It's Starry, Starry Night. It's Vincent. It's beautiful. What else can I say.

- Yuzuru's SP costume - A very fitting tribute costume for a tribute program, and it looks great on him. Go rock those blue frills and sparkles Yuzuru.

- Madison Chock's RD dress - Best tango dress of the season imo. She looks tango in it (she's gorgeous in anything I know shh)

- Gabriella Papadakis's RD dress - It's GORGEOUS. That's it.

- Mariah Bell's SP dress - She has three beautiful dresses this season, but I'm going with the SP dress because it sparkles joy, as the program and her skating do.

- Dmitri Kozlovskii's SP costume - Okay, very biased choice, but I just think that white tux looks gorgeous on Mitya Kozlovskii :laugh:

- Alexander Majorov's FS costume - This should probably win the 'most unique' category, like, it's the magic trip tie y'all.

I'll nominate more :)biggrin:) when I'm not on mobile

Edit: Whew, nine kids over and now I have some time to sneakily be on GS. (Yes, I'm off supervision now!) More nominees:

- Apollinaria Panfilova's dresses - Three things to do when Panfilova/Rylov come onto the ice. Gush about her dress, gush about her hairpiece, gush about her name. That's all, folks (Looney Toons style)

- Alexander Majorov's SP shirt - Alexander Majorov, the skater to be nominated twice for 'most unique'. That shirt is... um... nausea-inducing, let's just say.

- Maksym Spodyriev's RD shirt - The winner of the 'most man-cleavage' award. Beats Guillame Cizeron and Morgan Cipres both.

- Dmitri Sopot's FS costume - Spartacus program. Look at all that manscaping, man.

- Zabiako/Enbert's SP costumes - On a theatrical note, well, they have theatrical costumes. And it's pretty attention-drawing.

- Deniss Vasiljevs's SP costume - Yellow pants. Do I need to say more.

I'm missing somebody for sure but I need to go home, I'm going overtime again.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do love Starr Andrew’s gorgeous coffee and cream, and her even moresos purple Cleopatra in Space, both of Bradie Tennell’s all eye-popping colours and class, Evgenia’s sexiest-witch-in-the-planet black, Eunsoo Lim’s sweet and icy SP dress, and Marin Honda’s adorable chocolate box of an FS dress.

The men have (okay, purely in my opinion) been mostly rather a sad lot this year, to the point where Javi outshone nearly all of 'em in recycled duds.… but kudos from me for Shoma’s grey FS one that we didn’t see much of (he changes so often I suspect his wardrobe is built with a carousel engine on overdrive), I loved the horizontal glitter like a modern art skyline. Vincent Zhou's FS? - was one of the best black and white on offer, striking and stylish. Roman Sadvosky in his Schindler’s List shows what can be done with less money and more imagination. Mikhail Kolyada has the best Carmen outfit of anyone male or female. And Yuzuru’s SP and gala have to be honorably mentioned for their sparkly glory and the fact that he is still happily cocking a snoot at his staider critics by simply… going sparklier.

But the best of all is Yuzuru’s Origin. Fans have been waiting and wishing for him to wear black for ages... and he had to follow up the utterly iconic Seimei costume. But with the sleek dark glitter, the swept up hair, the touches of imagery and the way it made his quite amazing body line and unearthly figure look even more amazing, it’s mesmeric.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm gonna go with Gabi Papadakis's sleek teal-green Tango Romantica dress. It's a knockout. But Vanessa James's charcoal catsuit for Wicked Games is also outstanding.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I love many FS costumes this year, but I legitimately cannot take my eyes off Mai Mihara's FS dress. Every time I see a video or photo of her in that dress I die of envy! It is so ethereal, delicate, feminine, and floaty - and in a world full of janky illusion meshes, the fact that her dress is actually LONG-SLEEVED and the mesh blends perfectly with her actual skin tone is amazing. I LOVE THAT DRESS!! Plus, when she jumps her skirt flares out like a flower - :drama: :dbana:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I love the unique coloring and shape of this dress. The square embellishments are also beautiful from Miyu Honda.
fukuoka-japan-25th-nov-2018-miyu-honda-figure-skating-japan-junior-figure-skating-championships-.jpg

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Stanislava Konstantinova's Anna Karenina dress - simple, elegant, lovely colour (reminds me of Kitty saying to Anna that she was sure Anna would wear purple and was surprised to see her in black at the ball)
200px-2018_Grand_Prix_of_Helsinki_Stanislava_Konstantinova_2018-11-03_19-45-21_(3).jpg

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I love many of the ice dance costumes this year, notably Chock/Bates RD & FD, Weaver/Poje FD (so elegant!!). Alena Kosternaia's SP dress is angelic, Evgenia Medvedeva's FP long sleeve black dress at Russian Nationals was ..no words!! and Mariah Bell's SP and FS dresses were exquisite.. Jason Brown's SP outfit is so sharp and crisp just enough swag and bling against the deep dark black-burgundy..
In Pairs, as in Ice Dance, it is essential that the outfits of both partners blend subtlely, seamlessly as a whole which can be tricky to accomplish... here my COTY Award goes hands down to..
95aea148b5080cbdc690b1184cf19b64.jpg

Tsurara

On the Ice
Koshiro Shimada(Jr)'s "Adios" red shirt. (no shame to pick my most favorite when he's not even senior.)

His red shirt probably looks just plain, like an average men single costume to most of you.
Here's a story... I don't remember where I heard/read it or maybe I was dreaming when I thought I heard it, and maybe I just made it up in my dream. So, please don't quote me on this.

Getting the idea from his coach, Stephane Lambiel's Blood Diamond costume (black shirt with a big red slit on his chest implying his scar on his heart?), Koshiro got the opposite color combination for his shirt. He was hurt, and his blood flooded from many cuts turned his shirt into red, and some ugly feelings which he gained from his own struggles to fight injury and all, started appearing and can be seen (black slits). With this SP, he's saying "Adios" to his previous self to leave it behind, wishing to be determined to grow. He made a decision to leave Japan and moved to Switzerland, and he's not gonna regret it. (Well actually he loves it)

And then, after he bid a farewell to his old self in SP, he's got flowers blooming, grown from the scar in his FS costume Winter in Buenos Aires.

(That said, the big black slit on his back remind us fans of a tissue box. Looks great though!)

If my memory serves me correctly, his costumes were made by a local designer in his hometown that his family knows but probably no figure skaters know or ever heard of.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
And thumbs up honorable mention goes to junior ice dancers Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik for their costumes in both the RD and FD... well done!!

5bfda4fa0d96e.image.jpg

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Eunsoo's long program dress is by far my standout costume of the year. I also rather like Alina's SP dress and Evgenia's LP dress from RusNats. I'd add Satoko's first iteration of her LP dress and Rika's LP dress if not for a. Satoko downgrading to inferior versions of the first one as the season progressed and b. Rika's color match gloves that just do not work for me. The men have mostly underwhelmed me but Yuzuru's LP costume is great. I also liked Andrew Torgashev's short program number.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Agree with Sam about Anna's FP dress. The girl has aristocratic presence and the dress, the music and the program emphasise that.
Her SP dress fits well with the airy fairy feel, so great job Olga and team on both of Anna's costumes! I really like when there is a whole concept and the costume, the music, the program and the skater are all in sync.

Speaking of concepts, I love Kamila Valieva's SP costume, the one that stresses the inspiration from the Picasso's painting "Girl on a Ball."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQUOSd99Do
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/89157267595239077/?lp=true

And my third nominee is Eun Soo Lim's SP dress - it is one of the most beautiful dresses I have ever seen! Would get married in it :laugh:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_H6NsziQlI