COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I loved Wakaba's FS dress from Skate Canada. The details looked so much better in person than they did onscreen.

Also Lisa McKinnon killed it this year with Mariah and Eunsoo's costumes. Eunsoo's SP dress highlights all of her skating in a way that costumes so rarely do perfectly.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
anything the korean girls are wearing

Yi Christy LEUNG's evil queen dress

piper's starry night dress

kailani craine's sp dress

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to agree Gabby's RD dress is divinne in green. Sleek, glamourous yet sexy and exotic. I also think all Mariah Bell's dresses are winners - the rght amount of bling; well balanced and well pretty very pretty. I would add to the honor listKaitlyn Weaver's RD and FD dresses. She ha a very elegant andregal look I am not enamoured with any of the men' out fits.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen's costumes from US Nationals. Pick one, even the FS costume he ditched before the program.

Not a sequin, bead, feather, crystal, or rosette to be found.

They were modern, sleek, clean, and athletic.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I love many FS costumes this year, but I legitimately cannot take my eyes off Mai Mihara's FS dress. Every time I see a video or photo of her in that dress I die of envy! It is so ethereal, delicate, feminine, and floaty - and in a world full of janky illusion meshes, the fact that her dress is actually LONG-SLEEVED and the mesh blends perfectly with her actual skin tone is amazing. I LOVE THAT DRESS!! Plus, when she jumps her skirt flares out like a flower - :drama: :dbana:

I love that dress, too! The word "ethereal" is a perfect word to describe it. I love the "wings" on the back. It was designed by Satomi Ito.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsnH91kh9NY/

I also love Wakaba's SP designed by the same designer. So original and suits the music well.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsRma6Hhff3/

Amei

Record Breaker
Speaking of concepts, I love Kamila Valieva's SP costume, the one that stresses the inspiration from the Picasso's painting "Girl on a Ball."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQUOSd99Do
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/89157267595239077/?lp=true

I like the concept of using a painting however its hideous, maybe it wouldn't look so bad if she didn't have the navy tights as well.

I love both of Anna Shcherbakova's dresses, I prefer the FS dress a little more because the gloves (a staple in Russian Figure skating) are unique

SkateSkates

Medalist
Eunsoo’s Chicago dress
Mariah’s LP dress
Alena’s SP dress
Evgenia’s SP and LP at nationals
Sasha SP new dress
Madi Chock both dresses
Piper FD dress
Rika LP dress

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I love Rika's Beautiful Storm dress, the embellishments shaped like lightning strikes.

Satoko's original dresses for short and free were lovely, the 2nd short is nice but the 2nd free dress is too busy and a tad garish :slink:

LoopCombo

Rinkside
I utterly love Marin Honda’s pink free skate dress. I saw her live at Skate America this season, and this costume is just stunning. It reminds me of the costumes in Sophia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, and is 100% exquisite, especially with her matching pink blades!

Yuzuru Hanyu’s short programme costume is my favourite of all the men’s. It is so whimsical and frosty and perfect for an ice prince. Even the fake flesh at the front I like because it is just so charmingly over the top.

I also like Alina Z’s Phantom dress, Kolyada’s Carmen getup, and Evgenia’s Autumn Classic Orange Colored Sky dress (even though she hated it). With her cute Audrey Hepburn hairstyle it was fun to see a little sassiness in the always-gorgeous Medvedeva. I didn’t like the second and third versions of this costume at all and was thrilled when she got her mojo back with her red Tosca dress and its delicate little sleeve fluffs!

esteticlove

Final Flight
Rika Kihira's LP dress - my no.1 favourite of the season. There are a lot of details on the dress but yet its balanced and not overdone. It's not the typical ice princess dress, but it's still very elegant and soft. I like the quite modern look of it. And the colours are perfectly contrasting with the ice which gives Rika a bonus. Also it reminded me of this dress, which I adore :D

Alexandra Stepanova's SD dress - I have no words to describe it . It compliments every element of their SD!

Anna Scherbakova's LP dress - Sam already said everything. It's an awesome dress. I thought that Olga Ryabenko exceeded herself with Alina's Swan Lake dress last year, but she brought Anna's costume to a whole new level. It definitely shows Olga's typical signature - a lot of layers and shiny stones, but still it is very different from her usual work.

Evgenia Medvedeva's Russian Nationals LP dress - from the ones I mentioned, this is the most simple dress. And that's what I love about it. First thing coming to my mind is the famous quote "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication". I like that the fabric is so.. "clear", it's just pure black without a lot of shiny stuff on it. Very, very elegant and it suited her tango so well! The long sleeves definitely helped her accentuate her arm movements even more. :love:

ankifeather

Final Flight
Of the girls:

Alina's SP costume - there was a fan's design before the costume was revealed, which I thought was very beautiful, and when the real thing turn out similar it was a real surprise!

Kaori's SP costume - this dress was so beautiful to watch live, it just flowed so well with her excellent skating speed, like a flower blowing in the wind.

Of the men:

Hanyu's LP costume - Just so majestic! one of his most photogenic costumes to date. According to the designer, the costume is made up of hundreds of feathers (made from flexible material) and 3000 beads all hand-sewn by herself one by one. It took a long time to make. The inspiration for the costume is actually the name "Hanyu", which means "born with wings/feathers" in Japanese.

vunhung3001

Rinkside
Ladies:
Zagitova's FS costume, simply because I like black lace costume, it always gives me the gothic and royal vibe.
Anything Korean girls wear.
Kihira's SP and EX costumes.

Men:
Hanyu's FS costume. Again because I like black lace.
( usually I also like Shoma's costumes but this season they disappointed me )

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Ladies:
Alina's SP dress. Unusual combination that catches your attention.
Yelim Kim's FP dress. Objectively speaking it's not that unique but it looks great when you see it live.

Men:
Maxim Kovtun and Misha Kolyada's Carmen costumes. Different from each other but both so fitting for the program (and highlighting how handsome they are)...
I also like Davide Lewton Brain's SP costume (and loved his performance at EC 2019). Just a simple costume, the less sparkle the better. And he does a lovely part of his step sequence with his hands in the pockets (and I get Javi feels from him ;) )

Ice-dance:
Marie Jade Lauriault and Romain Le Gac's RD costume. Not only a costume, the whole style of their dance, Marie's hair... So different from all others in this tango (on the verge of flamenco) season.