COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

COTY: Costume of the Year Award 2018-19

Yossalu

On the Ice
I know it's a holdover from last year, but I vote for Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen's free dance outfits. Her dress length can be problematic but it moves beautifully.

Laurence+Fournier+Beaudry+ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+F1h2PgNPgYkl.jpg

Atlantis

Rinkside
Sparkly magical costumes are my favorite kind of costumes

Yuzuru Hanyu SP and FS
Kaori Sakamoto SP
Mai Mihara SP and FS
Marin Honda SP

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ladies:
Yelim Kim's FP dress. Objectively speaking it's not that unique but it looks great when you see it live.

I noticed Yelim - both of her costumes (and from google, her least year's) are not specifically unique or omigod different, but they are unusually exquisite examples of popular styles. Her SP dress is so just that, there were others wearing similar dresses but hers was just that much more beautiful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen's costumes from US Nationals. Pick one, even the FS costume he ditched before the program.

Not a sequin, bead, feather, crystal, or rosette to be found.

They were modern, sleek, clean, and athletic.

Agreed. Some outfits this season are so embellished with beads, feathers and shiny bits it ends ups looking like, well.... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE9cFFFXgAE7LRe.jpg

There's something to be said about simplicity and editing. Sure, some of Chen's outfits are overly simplistic (and personally I'm glad he ditched the practice outfit for what he ended up wearing at Nats) but I'd prefer those than something distractingly ornate. I honestly don't care if there were 3000 hours of embroidery/feathers/sequins/threadwork that went into a costume, if it ends up looking like a Frankenstein of every skating costume cliché.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu's Origin. I noticed it has feathers, beadwork AND lace. It's so form fitting that it can only be for Yuzuru's unique bodyline too. I noticed this season he's even more confident. I guess you don't come out in a purple pantsuit like Prince if you weren't. So brave and non-conforming. :laugh:

LaArdilla

Medalist
Hands down, Eunsoo Lim, for both SP and FS.

Rika’s FS
Marin’s FS
Maé Méité’s FS
Evgenia’s black FS dress from
Russian Nats
Yuzu’s FS top

Piper’s dresses for both programs (why on earth does she want to change the tango one?)
Gabby Papadakis’ RD from the Euros (it looks as if it was painted on her, great for showing off her beautiful lines)
Madi Chock’s dresses for both programs
Aleksandra Stepanowa RD, but only the top, hahaha. Not a fan of the skirt. But the top and her make up and hairdo are fantastic.
Avonlea Nguyen’s black RD dress.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Gabby Papadakis' RD costume at the Euro. Oh, the color!!! :luv17:
Victoria Sinitsina's' FD costume. :eek::
Piper Gilles' RD and FD costume at 4CC in Anaheim! :luv17::luv17:
Madi Chock's FD costume, champagne gold fits her so well. Am so glad Madi's back in the game. :cool:
Kaitlyn Weaver's RD costume. Reminds me of rose champagne! FD costume, too. She's so heavenly, goddess-like. :love::love:

Conclusion: life is unfair a bit sometimes... ;)

ETA Hornorable mention: Paul Poirier's mustache in RD, if we can say it's a part of costume :biggrin:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Gabby Papadakis' RD costume at the Euro. Oh, the color!!! :luv17:
Victoria Sinitsina's' FD costume. :eek::
Piper Gilles' RD and FD costume at 4CC in Anaheim! :luv17::luv17:
Madi Chock's FD costume, champagne gold fits her so well. Am so glad Madi's back in the game. :cool:
Kaitlyn Weaver's RD costume. Reminds me of rose champagne! FD costume, too. She's so heavenly, goddess-like. :love::love:

Conclusion: life is unfair a bit sometimes... ;)

ETA Hornorable mention: Paul Poirier's mustache in RD, if we can say it's a part of costume :biggrin:

i wonder if they are real or fake :biggrin: i mean does he let them grow for the rd and then he shave for fd?

meadow

Rinkside
Evgenia's latest FS dress (from Russian Nationals)
Konstantinova's FS
Trusova's SP new dress
Shcherbakova's SP dress (I really like the FS one too, though, and as a bonus, I also love her exhibition's dress).
Both of Eunsoo Lim's dresses
Kaori Sakamoto's FS
Rika Kihira's FS

I didn't follow men much this season, but for what I've seen my favourite is without doubt Yuzuru's FS costume. The top part is just so beautiful, I love the golden parts.

deedee1

Record Breaker
i wonder if they are real or fake :biggrin: i mean does he let them grow for the rd and then he shave for fd?

I do wonder, too! Also, in their Disco SD from 2016-17 season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHHN6zwgfc :laugh: Anyone knows?

I adore a lot Piper's costumes, hairdo and make-up EVERY SEASON, actually. And what's good about this team that makes me smile is Paul does wear REAL costumes, too, even if it sometimes makes him look rather tacky/ill-fitted/less handsome on ice. ;) IIRC Piper does designing their costumes. She should go to Fashion industry after retiring from competitive skating.

sx98423

On the Ice
it's gotta be marin's pink fs dress with the glitter and flowers and bell sleeves!!! and her pink blades are amazing as well

Manitou

Medalist
For women it's Maddie Chock's free dance golden dress. And the perfect balance it has with her black Hawaiian hair.