this seemed to be the best fit | Golden Skate

this seemed to be the best fit

primeactionimages

Spectator
Any advice on not having confrontations when trying to photograph Skating competitions!

So I as my name might suggest do figure skating photography, when 2+ years ago I damaged vertebrae I was not able to shoot, I live in "CANADA" to get accreditation I need to submit 2 or more Images no older then 2 years, I started in August contacting both the Provincial and National bodies and never received a response so tried again still nothing and walking into an event even though it is a right in the Canadian charter our constitution you might say is usually confrontational.
I missed the Canada winter games ( our winter sport championships ) because I had no current images, my goal is not just local grassroot programs it's Canadian, International, ( world's & Olympic games.)

I don't want to use my rights to be allowed but it's my career my and with over a $100,000 invested in equipment I'm tired of yet another waisted year, any input! 3,2,1, GO!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
That sounds like a very odd rule. You need 2 images no older than 2 years old, so... what if you're just starting out? If you need images of a competition to get into the competitions, how did you get accreditation the first time? Can you submit images of something unrelated to skating? Or of a spring show at a local rink or something?

primeactionimages

Spectator
Yes it is a very odd rule it all comes down to the word accreditation! and the belief no one can photograph you unless you give permission, your point is been my point with what if a skater needed to have entered another competition to be able to compete! my option has been rent ice on your own find a skater at the skill level you desire and come to an agreement with them on the images I am shooting, like hiring a model. Yet I can accomplish the same simply shooting a competition that has skaters at that level, so yes very dumb. :scratch2:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I know this thread is a month old, but can you talk to a local rink/coach and see if they would allow you to photograph thier skaters. Perhaps you can give them some of the images in trade?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes it is a very odd rule it all comes down to the word accreditation! and the belief no one can photograph you unless you give permission, your point is been my point with what if a skater needed to have entered another competition to be able to compete! my option has been rent ice on your own find a skater at the skill level you desire and come to an agreement with them on the images I am shooting, like hiring a model. Yet I can accomplish the same simply shooting a competition that has skaters at that level, so yes very dumb. :scratch2:

Go to a show with some of your lower level equipment/lenses and shoot. Boom you have photos.

primeactionimages

Spectator
Thanks for the idea! I have on a coach or direct to Athlete tried this usually it comes down to booking private ice at $200.00 a hour and you don't even know the skaters ability, and ice availability can be late week day evenings not great for most skaters. If I could find a skater I wanted to use I'd be more likely to fork out 200 and give them some images, I don't live in the most skating rich city so only a few clubs and few competitions. Getting quite late so might be looking at next fall or the one club that is year round! appreciate your thought though.

primeactionimages

Spectator
Shows if pro like stars on ice don't allow Cameras in unless you have accreditation so were back at show us some work , me yes but it's years old, them hmmm it's just so much easier in the USA to do this.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shows if pro like stars on ice don't allow Cameras in unless you have accreditation so were back at show us some work , me yes but it's years old, them hmmm it's just so much easier in the USA to do this.

I wasn't talking about a show like Stars on Ice. Go to a local club show, take photos. They aren't going to need you to have creds there.

primeactionimages

Spectator
Wish it was so easy all clubs have security all security say cameras are not allowed, even when shown the law as in our charter of rights, like the us constitution , that guarantees me that right calling the police is the threat. I'm 2 hours from Grand Forks ND might just drive next year down there or Minneapolis MN 2.5 hours if I can't find a easier way here.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Wish it was so easy all clubs have security all security say cameras are not allowed, even when shown the law as in our charter of rights, like the us constitution , that guarantees me that right calling the police is the threat. I'm 2 hours from Grand Forks ND might just drive next year down there or Minneapolis MN 2.5 hours if I can't find a easier way here.

Yeah, I have a hard time with how factual this is. With what I do I'm around many rinks all over the world and especially Canada and have never seen bulked up security for a club show, sorry.

primeactionimages

Spectator
Please do tell us what you do and where are these rinks, because I just 10 days ago tried to access a district comp and was harassed and told to leave, don't make assumptions on my situation as you don't know. Did I say bulked up security? no I said security ! look I worked in law enforcement for 10 years 6 with INTERPOL I have 70 grand in just 5 lenses, 35 grand in bodies and 25 more in other focal length lenses, then there is the studio so I think I know what things are, but if you would kindly provide me with more info as to what you have said please do Having even written to Skate Canada and Skate Manitoba and never getting a response I think I have evidence you have conjecture , sorry

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Your easiest solution might be to go to the US, then.

Or see if you could get press credentials from your local paper?

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Any advice on not having confrontations when trying to photograph Skating competitions!

So I as my name might suggest do figure skating photography, when 2+ years ago I damaged vertebrae I was not able to shoot, I live in "CANADA" to get accreditation I need to submit 2 or more Images no older then 2 years, I started in August contacting both the Provincial and National bodies and never received a response so tried again still nothing and walking into an event even though it is a right in the Canadian charter our constitution you might say is usually confrontational.
I missed the Canada winter games ( our winter sport championships ) because I had no current images, my goal is not just local grassroot programs it's Canadian, International, ( world's & Olympic games.)

I don't want to use my rights to be allowed but it's my career my and with over a $100,000 invested in equipment I'm tired of yet another waisted year, any input! 3,2,1, GO!

I know lots of photogs and know how they get their creds for aircraft racing, for instance., but in this case I would contact world famous Canadian skating photog David C.
http://davecskatingphoto.com/
Dave is very approachable and a super nice guy. He goes to all the big comps and is in Croatia now. He would know about credidation, especially in Canada.
In general, once you have proven you can shoot, consistantly provide high quality pics to the promoters, etc and have a history of accredidation, you are on your way. In most sports, its a process.
To be fair...in any sport, they are just not going to let you waltz in and get accredeited to any comp without a history. They would have every Tom, Dick and Sally putting in for it to just get free admission and access to the skaters.
Email Dave.
(as an aside, David knows several forum members and has lots of good information about skaters...fun info...he told me at FourCCs that "Rika doesnt know how special she really is..." And "I have been doing this for over 30 years and can count on one hand all the figure skating people I really dont like."