Women buying men chocolat for Valentines day. | Golden Skate

Women buying men chocolat for Valentines day.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
https://www.kctv5.com/news/why-japa...cle_8706c1d0-21f4-50c1-9f74-f78c77ff1cf6.html

Actually, I kind of like this idea....I think it is sweet.... (snort, cough)!

Mathman will now explain to me how this can be....I dont do math in public any more. I assume it means that being married and divorced by 50 is out of the groups?
"In 2015, a record 23% of men and 14% of women were unmarried by age 50, according to the National Institute of Population and Social Security Research."

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Since I also know math, and I'm (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that Mathman doesn't speak Japanese, I'll respond to some of this.

The article says that over 60% of women will instead buy chocolate for themselves. WRONG. 61.8% at that event where the statistics were from bought chocolate for themselves, but the categories are not mutually exclusive. Adding all the percentages of chocolate types together gives way more than 100%, which means that the vast majority bought multiple types. 36.0% bought "honmei choco," and 23.2% bought chocolate for their female friends. Adding all the different types of "giri choco" together yields over 100%. Indeed, the Japanese source said that the average person planned to buy 8 giri chocos! Presumably, that average includes any who didn't intend to buy any. So, an average of only those who intended to buy some would be slightly higher, but not that much higher since so few people didn't intend to buy any. And this was only one department store. Others could have different statistics.

Call me a snob, but I don't think the "Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular People" is a very objective or reliable source. Interesting that the only actual born-and-raised Japanese person quoted is a member of said organization, which was admitted by the author to be a nine-member fringe group.

There's also no mention that March 14th is White Day, the day where the men are expected to give chocolate or gifts back to the women. Mmmmm, I love the smell of one-sided, poorly-sourced, agenda-ridden reporting in the evening!

EDIT: Apparently it does have one sentence about White Day. I don't know if that was there the first time or added later. Still, this article is a crime against math.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea what any of that article means - irrespective of the math.

But, as an American male, I'll just assume that I'm in the wrong.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We don't make a big deal about V-Day (just some dark chocolate, cards), but I DID buy my Mark a heart shaped box with chocolates in it. The heart shaped box was definitely meant for a guy - a pin striped shirt with a tie. Another year I came across one with a tuxedo + bow tie! I thought they were cute, so I bought them, and have recycled them, filling them with Dove brand dark chocolate (our chocolate of choice). It works for him (& us)!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I bought myself candy and flowers, and my favorite skaters plushies of course:)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I dont know which of you guys spent an average of $161 on V day but I didnt contribute much to that $20 billion dollar holiday. 6 buck card, 10 buck flowers and a nice eatery.

Ducky

On the Ice

I just bought myself some amazing chocolate for valentine's day. I would have bought myself flowers but too many of my friends have birthdays this week so I have to buy them bouquets and drinks instead.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
The significance of having White Day (March 14) be when women are "supposed" to give men chocolate in return for the the chocolate or gifts they're "supposed" to receive on V-Day is the root of the article here. Whereas here in the US, V-Day is simply about giving/getting whatever, to/from whoever! There isn't as much of a social construct of what you can or can not do compared to the countries that celebrate White Day.

I believe in South Korea they additionally celebrate Black Day (can you guess what day that takes place? Yep, April 14!)- a day in which singles typically eat a black sauce covered noodle dish, either alone or with other singles :biggrin:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Bought myself extra dark chocolate bars (on sale, 2 for... at the local food cooperative :slink:).. as for flowers, going to the Flower & Garden Show Friday. .. so that covers it.
Also, driving to my sister's on V Day along the usual country road I spotted a small red-wrapped package lying on the pavement. Curiosity got the better of me and I stopped the car, put on the blinkers, and retrieved it.. a single red rose, a bit of green and baby's breath in red cellophane. It gave my imagination flight.. Maybe no coincidence it was just about the same spot where I narrowly missed hitting a deer a few days before... hummmm.. it still sits in my one crystal vase at home..

Thecharmingplace

Spectator
Just saying.....I love chocolate, and the fact that these days someone would go out of their way to purchase chocolate or anything has to account for something. Men, or ladies, take time for your loved one, even if it seems like a forced holiday. :)