Virtue/Moir-... will they return? | Golden Skate

Virtue/Moir-... will they return?

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So this is just me completely clinging onto hope.. but do you think they will retire soon or not? They have not actually made that announcement yet. Scott did say after the Olympics that when they make an announcement it will be a forever thing.. not like last time where they came out of retirement so they need to think long and hard and be 10000% sure that this will be it.. Since they have not announced anything yet do you think there is any hope that they will keep skating?? In my mind to be completley honest my mind is sitting at 70-30% of them retiring. That 30% of me that thinks they will still skate more is based on only the way I fell and I do feel that they still could be champions and especially watching dance this year and seeing everyone skate.. there is no doubt in my mind they likely would be ontop of the world again unless politics come into play and judges decide to put them behind the french but silver would be the lowest they would place.. obviously they are not skating this year but do you think they would eye another Olympics again? Or are they calling it quits? I think this could be something I decide to bring up in a video on our " The FreeSkate" youtube channel. hmmm What do you all think?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think I’m 90%, perhaps even 99% sure, they’re retired now. The writing was on the wall that they were on even footing with Papadakis & Cizeron and when you’re a champion you want to finish as a champion. What would they gain by continuing?

That said if they did want to continue because they loved the sport so much I’d be very impressed however I think going forward they might not ever win another world championships again. There’s nothing wrong with that but I think it’s true.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I’m 90%, perhaps even 99% sure, they’re retired now. The writing was on the wall that they were on even footing with Papadakis & Cizeron and when you’re a champion you want to finish as a champion. What would they gain by continuing?

That said if they did want to continue because they loved the sport so much I’d be very impressed however I think going forward they might not ever win another world championships again. There’s nothing wrong with that but I think it’s true.

I agree. I think they are done. As far as what they would gain..I don't know. I think there are some former figure skaters who really miss the sport and are kind of casting around looking for something to take it's place. Meryl Davis wrote a good article about her feelings on this subject. I think it is very sad, and also that she is a gifted writer. https://www.self.com/story/meryl-davis-finding-new-purpose-after-life-as-an-olympian Kind of veering off topic here, but I'd love to see this documentary and hope it makes it to post production. http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/fiscalsponsorship/projects/theweightofgold

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I agree. I think they are done. As far as what they would gain..I don't know. I think there are some former figure skaters who really miss the sport and are kind of casting around looking for something to take it's place. Meryl Davis wrote a good article about her feelings on this subject. I think it is very sad, and also that she is a gifted writer. https://www.self.com/story/meryl-davis-finding-new-purpose-after-life-as-an-olympian Kind of veering off topic here, but I'd love to see this documentary and hope it makes it to post production. http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/fiscalsponsorship/projects/theweightofgold

I think they will retire at the end of this season. They won their last competition and they seem happy with touring and encouraging the next generation of ice dancers.

Although I would have been interested to see how they would rank with the new scoring system!

elephanter

Spectator
In general, the one person that doesn't need pity is a young, healthy multimillioinaire who misses their skating career.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
V/M are my favourite skaters of all time, and yet I truly think, and want them to be retired. They finished their career at the literal top, Olympic Gold and GOAT (most decorated figure skating olympic medalists of all time). They went out on a blaze of glory and frankly I just think coming back would diminish it. Considering they were near tied with P/C coming up to and at the Olympics, I don't even know if they would win anything now having been out of competition for a year, and that would be a shame to see them go from champions to not. Also, following on from TTYCT, Tessa and Scott are planning a "major" tour for the end of this year, so I think that pretty much derails any chance of them coming back to competition. I'm more than happy to go and see them in all their glory at shows and tours.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So this is just me completely clinging onto hope.. but do you think they will retire soon or not? They have not actually made that announcement yet. Scott did say after the Olympics that when they make an announcement it will be a forever thing.. not like last time where they came out of retirement so they need to think long and hard and be 10000% sure that this will be it.. Since they have not announced anything yet do you think there is any hope that they will keep skating?? In my mind to be completley honest my mind is sitting at 70-30% of them retiring. That 30% of me that thinks they will still skate more is based on only the way I fell and I do feel that they still could be champions and especially watching dance this year and seeing everyone skate.. there is no doubt in my mind they likely would be ontop of the world again unless politics come into play and judges decide to put them behind the french but silver would be the lowest they would place.. obviously they are not skating this year but do you think they would eye another Olympics again? Or are they calling it quits? I think this could be something I decide to bring up in a video on our " The FreeSkate" youtube channel. hmmm What do you all think?

They're done. If you want to see them you'll have to attend shows.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In general, the one person that doesn't need pity is a young, healthy multimillioinaire who misses their skating career.

But honestly, mental health is still health. And it seems US elite athletes suffer from mental health issues at about the same percentage as the rest of the US population. If you look at the movie they are working on "The Weight of Gold" the director had interviewed Steven Holcomb, the Olympic Bobsled Captain,just days before he died of an overdose of pills and alcohol. Talk about someone who would have seemed to have it all - Michael Phelps - contemplated suicide after the 2012 Games. I read somewhere (of course now I can't find it) that Phelps considers his mental health advocacy more important than his sports career. As someone with bipolar - I did not ask for it and it is not fun.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Not going to lie, when I first saw the title, I thought you meant if they were secretly dating.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yeah, likely you’re all right but I just find it interesting a year after the Olympics, they haven’t announced it yet.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Yeah, likely you’re all right but I just find it interesting a year after the Olympics, they haven’t announced it yet.

Honestly, it's not surprising at all for me. The term "retirement" is anathema to advertisers and since Virtue and Moir have a not insignificant number of endorsements, I don't think it serves them to make that sort of announcement now when their earning potential as the reigning Olympic champions is so high.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
The decision is up to them and I would support V/M either way. I don't think they need to prove anything at this point, so they would just be skating competitively because they love it if they were to return. My guess is they are really retired and just don't want to announce it quite yet.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I saw a group interview with most (all?) of the cast of the Thank You Canada Tour. The host asked the skaters who were retired to put up their hands. One of Tessa/Scott did, and the other didn't. They then started waffling and explaining, but it sounded like they are not coming back to competition. They're acting like they're not coming back, as they are involved in a lot of different activities. I think they're moving on.

nocturnalis

Medalist
I saw a group interview with most (all?) of the cast of the Thank You Canada Tour. The host asked the skaters who were retired to put up their hands. One of Tessa/Scott did, and the other didn't. They then started waffling and explaining, but it sounded like they are not coming back to competition. They're acting like they're not coming back, as they are involved in a lot of different activities. I think they're moving on.
Scott put his hand up and Tessa didn't.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

True but who are you talking about. Certainly not Virtue and Moir. They are Canadians and the endorsements aren't there. Tessa has done a bit better but she hasn't got a major endorsement from a beauty company sans Nivea. They have a smaller market in Canada that the US (ten times smaller I believe).

While I would love to see them compete I thinkand hope they have had their chance. I wish them well. They are the most decorated olymic Canadian and two time champinos and silver medallists with several world titles. They have nothing else to prove. And it is nice to go out on top.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
True but who are you talking about. Certainly not Virtue and Moir. They are Canadians and the endorsements aren't there. Tessa has done a bit better but she hasn't got a major endorsement from a beauty company sans Nivea. They have a smaller market in Canada that the US (ten times smaller I believe).

While I would love to see them compete I thinkand hope they have had their chance. I wish them well. They are the most decorated olymic Canadian and two time champinos and silver medallists with several world titles. They have nothing else to prove. And it is nice to go out on top.

Just stating the facts here: Tessa has endorsements and work with the following companies: Nivea, BonLook (has her own line of glasses), Adidas, and Hillberg & Berk. Not to mention, she has many offers continuously coming in and she is the FIRST ever Canadian brand ambassador for Nivea.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Once again not stating the facts: Tessa has endorsements and work with the following companies: Nivea, BonLook (has her own line of glasses), Adidas, and Hillberg & Berk. Not to mention, she has many offers continuously coming in and she is the FIRST ever Canadian brand ambassador for Nivea.

She is not a multimiliionare iis the POINT then again if she was in Vancouver and owned a house maybe that would be a different story. Once again you are missing the point. Sorry.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
with chiddy

i don't think PChiddy is tall enough or strong enough to do the lifts. Maybe he will be the new Marinaro? Patrick would need someone really really tiny or get some upper body strength. He also would have to get use to wearing more theatrical costumes which he has been avoiding in more recent years and maybe grow his hair out too.