Spun out of control: The final days of John Coughlin | Golden Skate

Spun out of control: The final days of John Coughlin

louisa05

Final Flight
Long article from today's paper - still no answers.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article226196295.html

No concrete answers, but it is clear no allegations involved minors that he was coaching and it seems that no allegations involved rape or molestation and that no allegations were recent.

It also seems that the people on social media (and fan forums are social media, now aren't they?) screaming "pedophile!" had a negative impact on his mental well being.

But no lessons will be learned by anyone.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the only time more information has been released than what was gleaned from other sources - many of which led folks to think he was a pedophile. While one-sided (since SafeSport hasn't released details), it certainly paints an interesting picture - complete with a frame. SafeSport could have at least shared that this did not involve minors in the sense of "toddlers" and "young children." Journalists "in the know" could have done the same.....

Family and friends said Coughlin categorically denied that any of the relationships SafeSport was investigating involved sexual misconduct. Each, they said, was a “peer-to-peer” relationship from his earlier skating days, none from when he was a coach.

The first, his family and friends said, occurred when he was in his mid-20s and the skater was in her later teens, old enough to legally consent. The allegation was made by a third party, someone who reported Coughlin over suspicions that Coughlin was “grooming,” or manipulating the female skater into an intimate relationship.

But the second set of allegations involved two minors. Varner said Coughlin told him that the girls were young when he was also young; they were no more than a few years apart. Yet it was unclear how many years older Coughlin was, or whether the alleged victims were old enough to legally consent. One of the girls was someone he knew well from 14 years prior. They were still friendly and had even been in contact in recent years, Varner said.

Family and friends were unclear whether either of the girls or a third party had made the allegation.

Last edited:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wow. His family thinks a jealous rival made the allegations to destroy his career, and they think they know who it was. Just... wow.

Of course, that's also unsubstantiated, but so was practically everything about this story.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Wow. His family thinks a jealous rival made the allegations to destroy his career, and they think they know who it was. Just... wow.

Of course, that's also unsubstantiated, but so was practically everything about this story.

Yup. I don't see anything good coming out of this thread and I expect it'll find itself closed once it gets ugly which we all know it will.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
My heart really goes out to his family, no matter if you believe that John is guilty or innocent, they are really suffering.

Some interesting facts:
The first allegation was with an woman about the age of consent. Was not reported by the woman but by a third party.
The other two were young women too since we don't know the ages we can't tell if Romeo and Juliet's law applies to these cases.

I do believe that if all you have if your reputation, allegations like these, and let's not forget the trial by social media, can drive an individual to the edge.

I hope Safe Sport or a third party investigation takes place so we can have the answers that John's family, the skating community, and the alleged victims deserve.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
They bring up good points about the issues with Safesport but the strong bias totally muddles their message.

It was however completely irresponsible to detail the potential victims and speak on their behalf. The right people could easily track them down and clearly they haven’t come forward or spoken for a reason. So unbelievably wrong on their part.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Frankly, this article is nothing short of irresponsible. Of course a grieving family is going to think their son did nothing wrong. Of course a grieving family could be easily led to suggest such a thing. Whoever encouraged the family to speak needs a kick in the shins.

The investigation needs to be finished. Until then, everyone needs to be left alone to do it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Frankly, this article is nothing short of irresponsible.
I agree. It's totally irresponsible to so completely cede control of the narrative to the family.

In particular, they frontload the article with the family's complaints about due process and then buried deep in the article you find the acknowledge that SafeSport does have processes for the accused to become involved in, but which Coughlin apparently didn't use.

Also, a big :rolleye: to the family saying SafeSport needs to abide by statutes of limitations. Because that's totally compatible with the purpose of the organization.

andromache

Record Breaker
Even if the alleged victims were not minors and/or close to the same age as John when the alleged incidents occurred, it is possible for sexual misconduct to happen between peers. Adult women can be victims. Minors can abuse other minors. Abuse can occur in consensual relationships.

I don't agree with calling someone a pedophile unless they have abused pre-pubescent children. That does not, however, mean that abusing legal adults or people close to you in age is acceptable or unlikely. There is a tone to the article that suggests that, because the alleged victims were (apparently) close in age with John, that abuse is unlikely to have occurred or that the allegations aren't bad.

For all of these people in the article who are outraged about how SafeSport handled the allegations and investigation for "condemning" John....the process was happening and could have reached a conclusion and John could have had his name cleared. The only reason that is not happening is because of John's choice. (Of course, SafeSport should continue the investigation anyway for the sake of the alleged victims and John's family.)

Regardless of what is the truth in this case, I am extremely concerned that the support for John and backlash against SafeSport and the alleged victims (regardless of whether it is or isn't 100% correct in John's specific case) will scare victims of abuse into remaining silent.

Btw, good job to the editor of the Kansas City Star for taking an article about a serious tragedy and making a figure skating pun out of the headline. :rolleye:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The family are distraught and lashing out, which is what most families do when someone they love is caught up in small or big scandals/crimes/tragedies... I very much doubt they are even thinking this point about the victims (I was only reading yesterday about the mother of a murderer who was desperately trying to sound like she was NOT blaming the victim, because she was in unbelievable pain and again, lashing out).

I don't think anything they say can be taken for anywhere near the facts, not yet and maybe not ever. And that isn't condemning them, god knows I've made excuses in my heart and head for people I don't want to accept have done things I can't accept. Maybe John did, maybe he didn't. But this article is pretty worthless in deciding that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to approach this from (maybe) a different angle.

I have read some articles recently that, to avoid triggering suicidal thoughts, we might use the words “die by suicide” rather than commit. I see no “choices” here, but a tragic situation for everyone involved.:sad21:

And, which I will say until I am exhausted, nothing is served by SafeSport continuing an investigation of Coughlin. Nothing. That’s not their mandate, that’s not their purpose and it would be almost malpractice for them to continue, from my readingof their purpose.

If USFS wants to investigate to see if claims of abusive culture or lack of support for skaters is true, then USFS can do so. If the persons who believe this want to bring claims against another person, club, or entity to Safe Sport, they can do that. But this investigation is done. For good reason.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Frankly, this article is nothing short of irresponsible. Of course a grieving family is going to think their son did nothing wrong. Of course a grieving family could be easily led to suggest such a thing. Whoever encouraged the family to speak needs a kick in the shins.

The investigation needs to be finished. Until then, everyone needs to be left alone to do it.

Investigation of a love life a dead man?

Amei

Record Breaker
The article did highlight that there needs to be some protection of the accused as well; the US has largely taken an approach in media that someone accused of sexual misconduct is guilty until proven innocent and anyone can make an allegation and there's not really any type of repercussion for a false allegation. I fully support removing someone under investigation for misconduct where they don't have access to potential victims but in the era of media today something does need to be done to protect all parties involved in an allegation until facts have been established.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And, which I will say until I am exhausted, nothing is served by SafeSport continuing an investigation of Coughlin. Nothing

Except, perhaps, some closure for the alleged victims?

Or are they not important enough to be considered, here?

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Investigation of a love life a dead man?
If the accusers want to, yes, the love life. They did that with taekwando. Dead man part dunno but it would bring closure at least. Either clear Couglin's name or brung justice to the victims.

In Taekwando, one of the accusers was ex gf of the accused. Both of them were US athletes for Taekwando, win medals & all that.The girl claimed while they were dating, the guy beat her and one time raped her. Its not Jean Lopez the coach but Stephen, the younger bro.
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/04/6084...do-champion-brothers-for-alleged-sexual-abuse