Off Ice to Ice - Jump Consistency | Golden Skate

Off Ice to Ice - Jump Consistency

Yjh19

Spectator
Hello everyone!
I'm a returning skater(learned basics when I was around 9 and am now 22 and trying to get back into the swing of things. So, I can do all the basic skills and have been allowed to skate during freestyle(must have passed basic 4). I practice jumps and rotations off ice, and can land a waltz jump almost every time off ice. I can also do single salchows and toeloops off ice, but the moment I get on ice every thing goes out the window. I got the 3 turn into the waltz jump and everything else down, but the moment I go to jump I can't? I land maybe 2 out of the 5 I do.
Are there any exercises to help with this? It's just very frustrating being able to do it off ice but shatter once I get on.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What exercises is your coach recommending?

jf12

Final Flight
Hello everyone!
I'm a returning skater(learned basics when I was around 9 and am now 22 and trying to get back into the swing of things. So, I can do all the basic skills and have been allowed to skate during freestyle(must have passed basic 4). I practice jumps and rotations off ice, and can land a waltz jump almost every time off ice. I can also do single salchows and toeloops off ice, but the moment I get on ice every thing goes out the window. I got the 3 turn into the waltz jump and everything else down, but the moment I go to jump I can't? I land maybe 2 out of the 5 I do.
Are there any exercises to help with this? It's just very frustrating being able to do it off ice but shatter once I get on.

Please get a coach to do this safely, if you don't already have one, and you can ask them for advice. As per your question, what you're experiencing is totally normal as most of the mobile population would be able to do a waltz jump or hop off-ice and much fewer can do one on ice.

Yjh19

Spectator
I occasionally see a coach(the one in charge of freestyle) and she gives me pointers as to what I can do to get my waltz jump better, but I don't have a set "coach coach", since I'm skating as a hobby. I did have a more skilled skater explain the mechanics of it on ice and helped me get through the initial fear(?) of actually jumping, but I think one of the problems I had was either bringing my free leg over to hard and over rotating or not hard enough and under rotating and then falling... I have been trying to get more in shape so that I could try and control my core/legs better, but it's been a slow process.

Yjh19

Spectator
The coach that is in charge of freestyle told me to keep practicing my bunny hops, and other skaters have told me to keep conditioning and strengthening my core/legs for more control. It's just weird because, I tried a salchow just out of interest and it was easier(?) than a waltz jump for me like it just made more bodily sense? I got the mechanics of the waltz jump and I know the steps that I need to take but the moment I turn on to my right(I jump clockwise) it's like it feels choppy and I lose balance and coordination.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You really need to get a coach, even if it's for like one or two lessons a month. Because you are not learning things properly and are doing more damage than good. Not to mention, you could very easily hurt yourself if you continue in this manner.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but I don't have a set "coach coach", since I'm skating as a hobby.

A ludicrous notion. Figure skating cannot be self-taught. You need a coach. You should not be trying anything even remotely like what you're doing without a coach.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’ve been actively skating for about a year, starting with no formal training and going into group lessons, and I have just gotten my waltz jumps fairly consistent within the past month, although I’ve been able to “do” them off ice for years. While practicing off-ice jumps is important for getting the basic body mechanics and shape of the jump, there is a world of difference between on and off ice when it comes to timing, rhythm and balance. Specifically in the case of the waltz jump, coordination between the legs and the upper body is crucial to even get off the ice. This is where having a coach who can watch what you’re doing and work with you on incremental corrections to your technique is vital to building good habits - especially if you someday hope to get your axel, since having a good waltz jump means you have a huge head start on learning the axel takeoff.

I’d echo Ic3Rabbit’s suggestion of seeing if you can get a monthly or biweekly lesson with a coach - or maybe try group lessons? I think you’ll be amazed at how fast you can learn and perfect skills with professional help.

VegMom

On the Ice
It kind of sounds to me like it's a bit mental. Does your rink have a harness? Can you get in a harness for a lesson or two? That might help.

Also, in regards to no coach... lots of programs teach all the way up to axel in the LTS program where the kids are taking group classes and the coaches vary. I see no problem with not having a dedicated coach at your level. But you do need regular lessons of some type - group, private, or semi private. You can switch around from coach to coach if you like but you should be getting some type of regular instruction, not just 'tips.'

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It kind of sounds to me like it's a bit mental. Does your rink have a harness? Can you get in a harness for a lesson or two? That might help.

Also, in regards to no coach... lots of programs teach all the way up to axel in the LTS program where the kids are taking group classes and the coaches vary. I see no problem with not having a dedicated coach at your level. But you do need regular lessons of some type - group, private, or semi private. You can switch around from coach to coach if you like but you should be getting some type of regular instruction, not just 'tips.'

They have NO COACH period and do not want one. Not even LTS. So, please don't suggest they get in a harness, they're going to hurt themselves and this is absolutely ridiculous to suggest at all right now.

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
You probably shouldn't be training jumps off-ice but what I found is helpful is doing plyometric jumps off-ice to build the necessary muscles that you will actually use during jumping. Jumping off-ice will create improper technique so find yourself a coach and in the meantime get your body strong with plyometrics so you can handle the jumps when you do them on ice.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yes, you definitely need a coach, whether through private lessons or LTS. The hard time you're having is probably from some kind of easily correctable problem with your technique. How do you even do a waltz jump out of a three turn? Unless you mean a back three turn or you're doing something else in between, that's not even possible. You'll probably be able to fix it fast with proper instruction. :)