Most memorable/complex/difficult step sequences? | Golden Skate

Most memorable/complex/difficult step sequences?

Ailera

Rinkside
From singles skating. I am only just now learning about the different types of turns/steps/footwork and would love to check out some cool step sequences

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yeah, Mao Asada springs to mind. The Olympic Rachmaninov step seq was out of this World.

And all of Hanyu's recent SPs plus the Olympic FS. Parisian Walkways, Chopin, Let's Go Crazy, Otonal. I think the Seimei is the most original one though.

And Takahashi - memorable was what he did best.

Yagudin's Winter is pretty much legendary.

Deniss Vasiljevs 2018/19 LP was great, Kolyada's 2018/19 and 15/16 SP.

Higuchi's Skyfall.

But if I mention Takahashi, then I must mention Sui/ Han - their own Blues for Klook step sequence was great. Much more dancey than what the dance team are doing this season.

vunhung3001

Rinkside
-Hanyu's incredibly fast and complex "Let's go crazy" stsq. You should check his Chopin stsq too.

- Many of Mao Asada's stsq.

lappo

Final Flight
I second Mao, she had excellent stepsequences.
Those aren't the most complex but they are the one I almost remember by heart: Yagudin's "Winter" (and almost anything Yagudin after restyling with Tarasova), Sasha Cohen Dark Eyes and the Cyberswan by Daisuke (Daisuke in general has some of my favourite stepsequences). I also loved Yuna's step sequences in Danse Macabre" and "Homage to Korea" and many of Yuzuru Hanyu (e.g. Let's go crazy, Parisienne Walkaways, Seimei).

Ballade88

On the Ice
Takahashi's footwork sequence in his TechnoSwan SP was very memorable.
Mao Asada's step sequences in Nocturne (2014 version) and Bei Mir Bistu Shein were great examples of complicated steps done in an effortless, carefree manner.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Mao had some of the most memorable step sequences imo. Her Sochi FS is a good one, I love her Swan too.
Yuna Kim’s Adios Nonino stsq is probably the best work DW has done in his life. If you watch just her feet you’ll see how each and every step matches the music perfectly. I also love her Danse Macabre.
Rika Kihira’s Beautiful Storm is interesting, her SP last season also made a huge impression on me, I thought the stsq was very original(well, the whole program).
But the one step sequence that really shook me this season is from Kaori’s FS, her edges are everything!!! It’s beautiful to watch.
Of course Hanyu’s Otonal at Rostelecom is gorgeous too.
Satoko is always queen of stsqs too, her SP last season and this season are examples of that.
Oh, another stsq that is etched on my mind is Kostner’s to Bolero at the Sochi Olympics, pure class!

jcoates

Medalist
The standard for what counts as good footwork has also change over time. Today it is largely more intricate (lots of multi-directional turns, changes of speed, tons of upper body movement), covers more ice and takes far longer. In the past it was typically much faster, more patten-based (straightline, circluar, or serpentine) and sometimes less intricate, but often a better fit for the music.

My suggestions for really great footwork from the past include Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie, Robin Cousins, Scott Hamilton, Brian Orser, Yuka Sato and Janet Lynn.

Henni147

Final Flight
I haven't watched figure skating before 2017 really, so I only know a handful of programs from the past.
However, these are the step sequences that I've burned on my retina from first to last move:

Yuzu's Otonal, Let's Go Crazy and Seimei (with the original backward crossrolls)
Javi's Malaguena
Yagudin's Winter

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Phillipe Candeloro's swordfight step sequence in The Three Musketeers.
Stephane Lambiel's straight-line sequence in Guillaume Tell Overture and the serpentine one in Four Seasons.
Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron's circular step sequence in Moonlight Sonata.
Alexei Yagudin's step sequences in Winter and The Man in the Iron Mask.

andromache

Record Breaker
Tatiana Tarasova choreographed the best step sequences. I am thinking of Mao, Yagudin, and Sasha Cohen specifically. I kind of wish we would get more Tarasova choreography.

Bcash

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan’s step sequences in her 2003 Worlds LP, 2004 Nationals LP. Nothing by later ladies skaters has come close to being memorable.

Patrick Chan’s step sequence in his 2009 Tango themed SP.