If i could give an OGM to someone without one | Golden Skate

If i could give an OGM to someone without one

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was about a year ago we were all enamoured with the winter Olympics. I know many of us love skaters and have favoruites and strong opinions. I was wondering if you the ability to give Olympic Gold Medals to skaters without one who would you give one and why? I am saying awarding OGM to someone without one because then I think we get into a mess if we give OGMs to skaters who already have it because then we get well if we give Hanyu a third OGM then Yuna deserves three or Patrick so keeping it simple (let' see if we can stick to the rules lol) OGM's to those without an individual OGM.

I will start.

1. Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner - well before my time but I read about their tragic injury and pulling out of the Olympics efore competing. They had a good chance at OGM and were batling Rodina and her partner It wasnt meant to be. Tai and Randy were crushed.

2. Brian Orser -had he skated in a different era or with different rules that came out at various time he might have one or two olympic gold medals. In particular in 1984 he had far surpassed Scott Hamilton in actual skating - programs not school figures. To place second twice at the Olympics is painful Well deserved OGM.

3. Another Canadian with two Olympic silver medals deserving gold - Elvis Stojko. I know people didn't think he was artistic but he arguably should have won gold in 1994 and in 1998 what courage to skate with an injury - he had to wear runners to accept his second Olympic silver medal.

4. Okay might as well go with the flow. Patrick Chan is worthy of a OGM. Had the olympics been a bit earlier from Sochi he probably woudl have OGM. One thing that stands out above all skaters including Fernandez, Hanyu et al is this man's skating skills - the blade control, edging and stroking is magical The system does not really consider strongly how great Chan is as a purist.

5. I would add yet another Canadian man who got no medal in his time - Kurt Browning - what a performer. Too bad when it came to the olympics each time it was a disaster other than his first olymic when he was not a threat.

6. Evgenia Medvedeva - a worthy champion and so close.

7. P/C - I believe V and M deserved the gold and I believe they will win OGM in 2022 but if they don't give them an OGM

8. Krylova and Okianikov - injury destroyed this team winning an OGM.

9. Usova and Zhulin - I really thought this was an amazing team; had lust or marital infidelity not ruined this team they would have probably earned an OGM. Dancing as puppets rather than their strangt in dramatic romanticisms was a killer.

10. Liz Manley - she was spunky, fun and really while Katarina was a real competitor she derved OGM in Calgary so I would give her one.

11. Bourne and Kraatz - wow another Canadian, so innovative deserving of OGM

12. Of course, Michelle Kwan - she has been a champion with grace, style and poise and worthy of OGM

13. Irina Slutskaya - worthy of OGM too- she was a great competitor during the golden era

14. Sasha Cohen - such style. and grace give her OGM

15. Stephane Lambiel great athleticism and srtistry again OGM worthy

16 Midori Ito what an athlete. Witt was a competitor but her tech failed so badly. Ito was a bundle of joy and energy. Giver her OGM.

I am not sure what this "worthy" of an OGM thing means. Either they deliver or they don't. Of course, the judging might be nonsensical, but it's never made sense to me to say "they're worthy because of <insert reputation here>". It's not a lifetime achievement award. It depends on the season's programs too.

The only one I can agree with there is Elvis Stojko (for singles), in 1994. And Ito in 1988.

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Personally, I would give OGMs to Zhenya and Javi. For me, they both are so spectacular and they move me so much as skaters

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For OGM - Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Midori Ito, Michelle Kwan, Elvis Stojko (1994)

Olympic podium finish - Todd Eldredge, Yuka Sato

Ballade88

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, and Daisuke Takahashi.
I would have given the OGM to Michelle in 1998 because despite the lack of a triple-triple, her programs were so much more superior to Tara's.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan - her performance in 1998 was outskated by Lipinski and I agree with the result but it was still a gold-worthy skate - plus she is iconic and she is arguably the best skater to not have an OGM

Elvis Stojko - robbed in 1994, although the loss perhaps motivated him to push the sport even higher technically with the quad and maybe a 94 win wouldn't have made him as motivated

At their best, I think skaters like Ito, Slutskaya, Orser, Asada and Browning also could have been worthy OGM winners.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Stojko was robbed in 1994, i thought Urmanov was really good and besides some bizarre choreography, he was the complete package.

In the past i was one of those people that thought several skaters were robbed at the Olympics, but i'm more and more realizing that the skaters who won, not just delivered but also used the rules in a smarter way than their competitors.

Mao Asada didn't really need 3 3As when the rules forced her to put it in combination in the short (and it was worth less than doing 3ltz-3t), Yuna Kim would have won Sochi with a 7 triples free skate, Slutskaya and Plushenko would have won in 2002 and 2010 with cleaner performances, Medvedeva would have beated Zagitova with two 3-3 in the second half, and so on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick Chan for sure There is no question that GPF prior to the Olympics influenced greatly the results, removing the PCS gap top skaters had, and back then, there was an even more noticeable gap between Patrick and everyone else. Even with minor flaws, he should have at least won on PCS... it was close in the end and another panel or another system, like the one we have today, or even 6.0 would have favoured Chan... less content in the free with a couple doubled jumps but two quads no falls...

Bourne and Kraatz were not only denied a gold but never made the podium in rigged games... i will always remember when they were placed too low on a compulsory dance, just to make sure that if they came back with the free, they still couldn't win it.

Browning had everything to get his podium finish as well...but couldn't save himself. Stojko to me, did well enough... i am not sure anyone that year really deserved that gold.

Mao Asada : her timing was off... she never skated her best at Olympics.... but was magical in other years.

and to finish

Michelle Kwan should have found a way to beat the younglings...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Slutskaya. I know that there are more who would probably deserve an OGM, but she's the only one I really really felt and still feel strongly about the unfairness of that particular event.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan and Mao Asada. They exemplified grace, class, elegance, artistry and longevity in this sport. I stan both of them :luv17:

They may not have OGMs but both are the most decorated skaters of their era respectively, as well as undisputed legends in the sport. You can't become the most decorated skater or a legend based off of just one performance... It's something that is earned over a period of time. It would have been wonderful to see them achieve their dream of winning OGM but not having that one medal doesn't make them any less amazing or inspiring in my mind.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kwan, Slutskaya, Ito, Asada, Medvedeva, and Browning would all have been worthy Olympic champions based on what they achieved throughout their careers.

Edit: And Patrick Chan