I Learned Something Today | Golden Skate

I Learned Something Today

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I learned something today. Being patient and not acting rudely in frustrating situations can actually save your soul.

Quick story: I was ordering food at a drive thru for lunch today and the guy welcomed me and asked me what I wanted to order. I said my order in full and then he again welcomed me and asked me what I wanted today. I had to repeat the order again. No biggie but then he kept getting my order wrong and seemed unable to stop from cutting me off. It was frustrating and I almost said something I would later regret. Fortunately I kept my cool and just let the guy figure everything out at his own pace.

Well here’s the thing...when I got to the window I recognized that the guy taking my order had been there for a very long time and was mentally handicapped. He normally collects and cleaned trays and helped clean things but today had been given this opportunity (during a slower time of day) to work the drive thru. I had the guiltiest feeling I swear I’ve ever had and no amount of relief I felt at keeping my mouth shut could make up for the disappointment in myself for becoming agitated at such a frivolous situation. It’s really easy to over value our time and allow ourselves to inflate each moment to a point where if anyone disrupts it we become agitated.

Bless that guy today for trying his best and challenging himself with not only holding a job for so long but for taking on greater responsibility. I’m not sure if I’d ever forgive myself had I let my frustrations get the best of me.

Feel free to share daily stories of life lessons both big and small that you you think will change your outlook. Life hacks and soul saving experiences.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I learned something today. Being patient and not acting rudely in frustrating situations can actually save your soul.

Quick story: I was ordering food at a drive thru for lunch today and the guy welcomed me and asked me what I wanted to order. I said my order in full and then he again welcomed me and asked me what I wanted today. I had to repeat the order again. No biggie but then he kept getting my order wrong and seemed unable to stop from cutting me off. It was frustrating and I almost said something I would later regret. Fortunately I kept my cool and just let the guy figure everything out at his own pace.

Well here’s the thing...when I got to the window I recognized that the guy taking my order had been there for a very long time and was mentally handicapped. He normally collects and cleaned trays and helped clean things but today had been given this opportunity (during a slower time of day) to work the drive thru. I had the guiltiest feeling I swear I’ve ever had and no amount of relief I felt at keeping my mouth shut could make up for the disappointment in myself for becoming agitated at such a frivolous situation. It’s really easy to over value our time and allow ourselves to inflate each moment to a point where if anyone disrupts it we become agitated.

Bless that guy today for trying his best and challenging himself with not only holding a job for so long but for taking on greater responsibility. I’m not sure if I’d ever forgive myself had I let my frustrations get the best of me.

Feel free to share daily stories of life lessons both big and small that you you think will change your outlook. Life hacks and soul saving experiences.

My number one life lesson I learned was that having a good attitude...especially at work, but elsewhere as well, will get you far.....if you want to be negative, aloof, and a pain in you know what, you better be very smart or now one will want you...I wasnt very smart so I took the advice of Edward P Dowd in the movie, "Harvey" played by James Stewart...you can succeed in life by being either very smart...or very pleasant and polite....

But the most odd thing I learned after 6 1/2 years in college and then continually over 30 year of work was that you never really know what twists and turns of life are good or bad till later, if at all. The effect fasinates me....If I hadnt gone to that Audubon meeting I might not met my wife.....At the University of Illinois they told you up front the first day of engineering in a big lecture hall...look at the person next to you. One of you wont be here in two years...we are going to flunk you out with an overload of math, physics, and chemistry...drop one course and you are out of the school of engineering. Period. They got me after 3 semesters...I was pretty low, I can tell you...I got drunk in my room...the next morning I was leaning against an elevator in the dorm and there was an earthquake....but I went on and got my Vocational education degree with honors, along with other degrees in aircraft electronics and aircraft mechanics...I became a pilot....I worked all my life in electronic systems maintenance, which made me way happier than being an engineer...and I met my wife....we moved west...

Some day I want to meet up again with the 40 year old (at the time) grad student from India who tried to teach me Calculus II. He had no interest in teaching at all, of course...he just wanted to do his research....no time for me or the other students....I hated him at the time but now I want to shake his hand! "Calculus is not your bag of oats, Mr. Coyote" He was right. And neither was being an engineer like my father.....I was a born technician....I just needed to find that out....

Many times good things turn out bad and bad things turn out to really be good things...You play the cards you got the best you can...and remember the attitude...I apologize to all those people who I yelled at before I learned to be nicer...although I am still not very nice to drunk drivers, animal abusers, child molesters, reckless drivers and undocumented pharmacutical sales persons....for you I have a special attitude... :devil:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Beautifully said. I can relate so well to this message. Deep down I am incredibly impatient but I also have always known the old adage "Patience is a virtue" is wise and true. Worked my whole life to go beyond first impulses, get to the crux of the matter and, most important, lend a helping hand. It is part of the soul's evolution and journey. BTW nothing teaches patience better than caring for a sick, frightened or injured animal who cannot speak to tell you where it hurts or how it feels so it is essential to bypass the negative, to dive deep and find the best you have to offer for the sake of another being ...
It helps to say a prayer once in a while too....:biggrin:

tweetybird.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Beautifully said. I can relate so well to this message. Deep down I am incredibly impatient but I also have always known the old adage "Patience is a virtue" is wise and true. Worked my whole life to go beyond first impulses, get to the crux of the matter and, most important, lend a helping hand. It is part of the soul's evolution and journey. BTW nothing teaches patience better than caring for a sick, frightened or injured animal who cannot speak to tell you where it hurts or how it feels so it is essential to bypass the negative, to dive deep and find the best you have to offer for the sake of another being ...
It helps to say a prayer once in a while too....:biggrin:

View attachment 532

LOL! I have heard this before in other forms and it is still funny...
I gave up smoking, drinking and sex once...it was the worst 10 minutes of my life! :laugh2: