Could a female skater compete with black boots? | Golden Skate

Could a female skater compete with black boots?

Scarlattae

Spectator
I know my question may feel weird and out of place. But It's kinda driving me crazy I would higly appreciate if someone can take a while to read me and answer.

See, I've honestly been following figure skating closely for a rather short time, like a year or so. I never really paid attention to the boots thing, barely noticed or cared about why some girls covered their boots and some didn't. I wasn't even aware about the drastic men-black ladies-white thing UNTIL I decided to give figure skating a shot for myself

So around three months ago I decided to get a pair of inline figure skates (Pic) and teach myself some cool stuff. For me, the color of the boots was merely a choice but no, it wasn't. And I noticed because I wanted my boots black (cuz why not black boots are dope) but couldn't get them black CAUSE THOSE WERE FOR MEN.

Like, ok, I understand if it's a "tradition" thing, fair, maybe I could have gotten mines in black if I explained it better to the store (since I was buying online), they're just used to things being one way.

So today I was minding my bussiness when I just thought "maybe it's an ISU rule or something" and went to read the ISU regulations AND GUESS WHAT, IT IS NOT. The only thing that is forbidden are male leggins and nudity lol.

Therefore, are you trying to tell me that there has never ever ever been a well-known and competitive female figure skater who decided she wanted black boots?? EVER SINCE SONJA HENIE?! Also, there has neeeeever been a male skater choosing white boots? Like... never?

And to add up, I try to google a decent explanation, check in the darkest sides of the internet if there's just one skater who broke the tradition. Nothing, the most decent answer I can find is that fabricants just make then that way.

To conclude, my question here is: Are black and white figure skates really that different? The skates I own are Edea, could I buy the exact same model in the exact same size, but in black and they would fit okay? And in case I'm dealing with american sizing, could I do the same just taking in consideration that I need a smaller number?

On the other hand, if a lady decided to show up tomorrow to the Worlds bit black boots, judges would not be entitled to deduct her right? At least not in theory.

That is all. Thank you soooo much if you beared with me. Highly appreciate it. Sorry if I made language mistakes, English is my second tongue.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There are no rules about the color of the boots. And skaters often have worn boot covers.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ice coverage beat me to the punch with the pics of Nazarova, but I thought I'd answer some of your questions more directly.

So today I was minding my bussiness when I just thought "maybe it's an ISU rule or something" and went to read the ISU regulations AND GUESS WHAT, IT IS NOT. The only thing that is forbidden are male leggins and nudity lol.

Actually, men are even allowed leggings now. Nudity is still not okay though.

Also, there has neeeeever been a male skater choosing white boots? Like... never?

Likely not at the top level, but it is actually very common for young boys to start out in white boots, usually because there are more of these getting around second-hand. Even Plushenko had his son in white boots and I'm sure there'd be no shortage of boot companies prepared to make a custom black pair for him!

On the other hand, if a lady decided to show up tomorrow to the Worlds bit black boots, judges would not be entitled to deduct her right? At least not in theory.

Absolutely not. It would make no difference whatsoever.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Heh! You jogged my old memory. I first ice skated in white boots in 1963 that someone gave to my mother. Three of us took turns trying to skate in them on a frozen river.

But it certainly wasn't a competition or show.

jf12

Final Flight
Heh! You jogged my old memory. I first ice skated in white boots in 1963 that someone gave to my mother. Three of us took turns trying to skate in them on a frozen river.

But it certainly wasn't a competition or show.

I’ve seen guys with custom white boots for shows or for fun. The size range is usually different so a lot of adult men wouldn’t be able to fit into stock white boots.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To conclude, my question here is: Are black and white figure skates really that different? The skates I own are Edea, could I buy the exact same model in the exact same size, but in black and they would fit okay? And in case I'm dealing with american sizing, could I do the same just taking in consideration that I need a smaller number?
Check with Edea on their sizing conversion between men's sizes and women's sizes. They're not necessarily the same (but could be) ... so check with each manufacturer of interest. For comparison, here's how Jackson does their sizing conversion: https://jacksonultima.com/apps/help...the-difference-between-mens-and-womens-sizing. If you're a woman trying to get a stock men's black boot, there may not be an equivalent if your feet are very narrow.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
manufacturers that size in mp (Risport/Edea) run sizing the same between their "men" and "women" lines, the only thing you might run into would be range. Like, Edea "ladies" max out at 280, I think. And their "mens" skates start in the middle of their ladies range. But if you're smack dab in the middle of shoe sizes, you'd be in luck.

I do remember that Riedell and Jackson have different sizing for black and white skates/"mens and womens" skates. You'd have to look at their charts to confirm your size. Again, ranges might be more limited if you have small feet and are looking for black skates, I guess.

And to answer your questions about there being no high-level skaters who compete in the "opposite" color skates: there definitely are. You might not see it on television - especially now that a lot of skaters at the world and Olympic level wear stock Edea boots - but tons of skaters get custom skates, and when they do, they order custom colors, and sometimes those custom colors - shockingly - have black in them. Or pink or green or tan, like coaches' boots. These skaters often compete at high-level competitions up to their national championships. And no, there is no kosher costume deduction for this. Boot covers would be a minefield.

We enjoyed seeing Nazarova's black boots at Skate America this year. They looked really elegant with her costumes and seemed to fit her personality, and if they make her happy, that translates to her skating. That's important.

Nimyue

On the Ice
For sizing, like others have said, check with the manufacturer!

For Jackson, the men's skates come in different widths and not all models are the same. The mens Freestyle is the old style with the leather sole and lower heel, while the womens' is the new fusions. I'm pretty sure there are some brands that they are identical though.

Another option is Riedell will make a semi-custom that allows you to change up to 3 things on a stock boot for a $50 charge, so you could get black boots that way.