Buying my first skates - recommendations? | Golden Skate

Buying my first skates - recommendations?

enzofv

On the Ice
Hey everyone!

I've been skating at public skating sessions quite often this season, took a couple of group lessons, and I've decided time has finally come for me to max out that credit card and buy my first figure skates.

I've done a lot of research but I think y'all's opinion is kind of unbeatable. I'd love to know if you have recommendations.

This is me:
Male, 24
Body type: slim
Height: 5'7" (171cm)
Weight: 125lb (57Kg)

Skating level:
Starting to work on backward crossovers, one-foot turns, basic one foot spin.
Hope to have the same pair of skates all the way through learning lower level single jumps.

Feet measurements:
Normal arch
Slightly large big toes
Roman-Egyptian type
Right foot: US size 9. Length: 10 3/8" (26.3cm). Width: 3 3/4" (9.5cm). Heel width: 2 7/16" (6.2cm).
Left foot: US size 8.5. Length: 10 1/4" (26cm). Width: 3 5/8" (9.2cm). Heel width: 2 3/8" (6cm).

PREFERRED BUDGET: $300 max for boots and blades combined. God help me, I'm an international student living in New York City and THIS LIFE AIN'T CHEAP.

Thank you very much!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone!

I've been skating at public skating sessions quite often this season, took a couple of group lessons, and I've decided time has finally come for me to max out that credit card and buy my first figure skates.

I've done a lot of research but I think y'all's opinion is kind of unbeatable. I'd love to know if you have recommendations.

This is me:
Male, 24

Skating level:
Hope to have the same pair of skates all the way through learning lower level single jumps.

Feet measurements:
Normal arch
Slightly large big toes
Roman-Egyptian type
Right foot: US size 9. Length: 10 3/8" (26.3cm). Width: 3 3/4" (9.5cm). Heel width: 2 7/16" (6.2cm).
Left foot: US size 8.5. Length: 10 1/4" (26cm). Width: 3 5/8" (9.2cm). Heel width: 2 3/8" (6cm).

PREFERRED BUDGET: $300 max for boots and blades combined. God help me, I'm an international student living in New York City and THIS LIFE AIN'T CHEAP.

Thank you very much!!

Go to Chelsea Piers and see if there is a tech there that can fit you. I'm not talking about run of the mill proshop guys. Someone that fits figure skates on the regular and will measure you properly and take outlines of your foot then recommend proper boots and blades for you.

Good luck! :)

There are also good fitters at Ice House in Hackensack, NJ.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Go to Chelsea Piers and see if there is a tech there that can fit you. I'm not talking about run of the mill proshop guys. Someone that fits figure skates on the regular and will measure you properly and take outlines of your foot then recommend proper boots and blades for you.

Good luck! :)

There are also good fitters at Ice House in Hackensack, NJ.

Chelsea Piers proshop focuses more on hockey skates and has very limited figure skate models.

Try Westside Skate & Stick

174 5th Ave #504, New York, NY 10010
(212) 228-8400

https://g.co/kgs/EGptec .

Sam L

Medalist
Hey everyone!

This is me:
Male, 24

Skating level:

Feet measurements:
Normal arch
Slightly large big toes
Roman-Egyptian type

Thank you very much!!

I’m not sure where you can go but Jackson Freestyocould work work if you have Roman feet. Egyptian could work well with Risport. Which one do you have? You can’t have both?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Chelsea Piers proshop focuses more on hockey skates and has very limited figure skate models.

(212) 228-8400

Seconded. Though just a heads up, Westside Skate is moving to Queens as of March. I think their last day of operation in Manhattan was last week (or this week). They’re moving to City Ice Pavilion. If OP does go to Westside, Dave is the go to for figure skates. I’ve had good luck with Brent as well.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson Freestyles should last you through double sal and toe and they're us$320+hst.

They're only rated for singles.
Plus, a boot has to fit the particular persons foot, this isn't a one shape fits all thing.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Don’t let having a tight budget scare you out of going for a proper fitting. I didn’t think I was going to be able to afford a really good pair and I ended up getting Jackson Debuts for $100 off through my skate tech because they were last year’s model, and brand new MK Professionals for $75 on eBay. Full price, this combo would have been about $540, and I paid $295 - and they will definitely last me through all my singles up to axel (unless the boots break down before I get there, lol). Tell the skate tech you have a tight budget and see what they can make happen for you.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Risport is a solid boot.. Look at their entry models... Some shops will have a package with a pre mounted entry level blade.

enzofv

On the Ice
Thank you all, this was very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Seconded. Though just a heads up, Westside Skate is moving to Queens as of March. I think their last day of operation in Manhattan was last week (or this week). They’re moving to City Ice Pavilion. If OP does go to Westside, Dave is the go to for figure skates. I’ve had good luck with Brent as well.

Yeah I'll be going there. Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

(212) 228-8400

:palmf: on my part. I've suggested them here before and IDK why I wasn't thinking of them last night when I gave that advice. :laugh: Thanks for stepping in. :agree:

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
I know the website said it's rated for singles only but I went and talk to the Jackson tech guy and he said it should get me through all doubles except axel and I'm 5'7'' 115lbs. I find the newer model's boot pretty much the same as the Jackson Debut except the tongue's a little flimsy but I bend my ankles way down when I skate so it might not be a problem for OP. And just as a note I have an Egyptian foot but with a long second toe so if that's what OP is a looking for he might find the Freestyles quite useful.

christy

On the Ice
Not sure where you are in the UK but I've read a lot of positivie things about I Love Skating in Chelmsford and Everglides in Gosport.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know the website said it's rated for singles only but I went and talk to the Jackson tech guy and he said it should get me through all doubles except axel and I'm 5'7'' 115lbs. I find the newer model's boot pretty much the same as the Jackson Debut except the tongue's a little flimsy but I bend my ankles way down when I skate so it might not be a problem for OP. And just as a note I have an Egyptian foot but with a long second toe so if that's what OP is a looking for he might find the Freestyles quite useful.

The Jackson tech guy? Or was it a pro shop guy that sells Jackson?

Sorry, would not be doing doubles on that boot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He's Adam Shcumacher - both the technical rep and the pro shop owner.

You really don't have to give names. I work with the factory myself on my custom boots for years now as a pro and when I competed. I know many of the reps. I was just making sure you were getting the correct info on the boots.

Nimyue

On the Ice

And I broke Freestyles down in 6 months doing just singles. They really are only rated for singles, and that rating is aimed at children, not adults. Definitely not doubles for OP.

celia

Rinkside
Thank you all, this was very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I'll be going there. Thank you!

Also a heads up, when the WSS shop reopens Dave is away March 1-10. If you want him to fit you you can call ahead or email to make an appointment so you aren't waiting when you get there.

FWIW I do skate in Jacksons (with a Greek foot and wide toes) and I do my singles and axel attempts in Premiere (the old line not the Fusion).

enzofv

On the Ice
Hey! Just an update: I purchased the Freestyles, they fit perfectly. Will test them out through the week and get back to you. Thank you for all your tips!