Sit spin help - keep going into broken leg | Golden Skate

Sit spin help - keep going into broken leg

Hannahartist

Spectator
Hi there. This is my first post on here. Apologise if a similar question has been asked but I couldn’t find the answer. I could see lots of questions re strength getting into sit spins as an adult etc. However my problem is that when I go to do one I permently go into a broken leg spin. Even when I swing my leg. My brain just won’t allow me to do it. I can easily do shoot the duck going down and coming back up on one leg whilst skating in a straight line. Are there any exercises I can do to let me swing my leg out going into the spin and then lowering into a shoot the duck. Thanks so much - I’m at a block.

loveohio

Rinkside
Since you don't have a problem getting down, perhaps you could try going into a cannonball. That will require that you grab your leg while it is straight, as you swing it around you. You could try it first without going all the way down, and just grabbing the leg in front, to get the idea of how the leg is supposed to move. Good luck. Broken legs are cool too!

jf12

Final Flight
I feel you on this, sit requires a lot of mobility in your free hip- when you swing the leg around to start your hip is turned in and by the time your leg is at the front it should be turned out. It’s provably an issue with comfort in terms of turning out while you’re low. You can do a lot of stuff off ice to help with this or something so simple as hold onto the boards and simulate the swing through right before you try it in the spin.

Shani

On the Ice
As a memory from paying my daughters coaching for many years a good yoga class will save you time and injury on the ice. A great sit spin requires good muscle strength in the legs. Off ice at home put two dining chairs on either side of you and practice sit spin position sits for 1-2 minutes each side supporting yourself with chairs as you build strength.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I had the same problem learning my sit spin. My coach had me think about my arms instead of my leg during the entry. Pull your arms out to the side during the entry and then squeeze them together. Your leg will naturally follow your arms. No matter how much I thought about my leg it wouldn’t work. Hope this might work for you. Now that I have the feeling of the sit spin, I don’t have to exaggerate my arms so much.