Daily, weekly training planner..... for my oldest daughter | Golden Skate

Daily, weekly training planner..... for my oldest daughter

Skatedadof2

Spectator
hello,

My daughter's have been skating for almost 4 years now. They have multi private coaches etc. finished learn to skate levels. one thing i feel lacking in helping them keep on track on FS ice. my oldest is 10 and does a desent job of being productive with her time. my youngest 8 is well not. I have looked lots of places online and i cant find anything on a planner or check list for them daily work outs for the week type of thing. I have asked coaches they do some stuff in notebooks but tbh coaching is $ and hate to use that time for something i can plagiarize from someone else and make it our own. (i always say best form of flattering is plagiarize)

my oldest daughter skates 5 days a week sometimes AM and PM times. what im looking for is a check list i can make her on EX: Monday is jumps do 20 axel and 20 DS DT DL etc. i want to surprise coach with this. and want to make a book with daughter so she can see what she needs to do daily? is there anything our there to buy read look at etc.

I will be honest i cant pick out jumps etc. im not a coach or a skater but i did play college football and we had a workout guild i found extremely helpful over summer months when no coaches as there.

My oldest has been bugging me about doing this and i put off since i asked coach to do it. just dont think they have time or effort in do this. i just dont really know where to start. and dont want to waste time doing if already something is make. heck even a app would be cool.

TY skate dad! AKA check writer skate rink uber driver lol!!!

jf12

Final Flight
On days where I have no lesson, I go through moves in the field, go through all my basic position spins in order, then do combos, next, one of each single jump, then takeoff exercises, then go through doubles and take some time to troubleshoot and work on it, then program stuff. You might not have time for all of these in one session, but I would recommend to never skip moves.

When I have time before and after lessons I make sure to work extra on the topic that the lesson is on. Hope this helps!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hello,

My daughter's have been skating for almost 4 years now. They have multi private coaches etc. finished learn to skate levels. one thing i feel lacking in helping them keep on track on FS ice. my oldest is 10 and does a desent job of being productive with her time. my youngest 8 is well not. I have looked lots of places online and i cant find anything on a planner or check list for them daily work outs for the week type of thing. I have asked coaches they do some stuff in notebooks but tbh coaching is $ and hate to use that time for something i can plagiarize from someone else and make it our own. (i always say best form of flattering is plagiarize)

my oldest daughter skates 5 days a week sometimes AM and PM times. what im looking for is a check list i can make her on EX: Monday is jumps do 20 axel and 20 DS DT DL etc. i want to surprise coach with this. and want to make a book with daughter so she can see what she needs to do daily? is there anything our there to buy read look at etc.

I will be honest i cant pick out jumps etc. im not a coach or a skater but i did play college football and we had a workout guild i found extremely helpful over summer months when no coaches as there.

My oldest has been bugging me about doing this and i put off since i asked coach to do it. just dont think they have time or effort in do this. i just dont really know where to start. and dont want to waste time doing if already something is make. heck even a app would be cool.

TY skate dad! AKA check writer skate rink uber driver lol!!!

Figure skating practice and training is nothing like football and a checklist like that is never going to work per se. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Asking your child to do 20 axels or whatever jump a practice session at her age and level is kind of ridiculous (no offense), it just doesn't work like that.

The coach could take a few moments at the end of the lesson to tell her what she needs to do on practices for the week or til whenever the next lesson is.

And it's not just a checklist, you can do any number of skills in any order.

Catch my drift?

Scout

Final Flight
Instead of just a checklist, I like to make sure I have something specific to focus on, instead of just completion of the element. So instead of "do 20 axels" it would be "do 20 axels, but for the first 10 focus on X while doing the axel and for the next 10 focus on Y"

The planner below sounds more complicated than what you want, but just thought I'd put it out there:
https://flexafit.com/product/plan-skate-track-the-ultimate-figure-skater-guidebook/

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I like to sometimes carry a list with me of elements / sequences to practice, though it doesn't matter what order I do them in or how many times, it's more a reminder. Sometimes I'll be on the ice and I'll just draw a blank and the list will help me remember to practice a specific element. Similar to user jf12's post, I like to practice MITF elements or Freeskate elements and sometimes will just refer to a list of elements for a particular test instead of using my list for that. If your kids are working towards a specific test, that might be helpful.

Since I'm an adult, I can pick and choose elements based on how I'm feeling / what my coach wants me to focus on at any given time. For kids, I imagine a more structured list could be helpful. I remember reading a similar post a while back about parents who made lists with the help of their coaches. Good luck!

Ykai

On the Ice
My daughter is the same age as your younger one and she is not very focused during free practice either. I guess this is normal for their age. Her coach gave her a list of things to do, something like ---edges F+B/I+O, ---crossovers F+B, ---O 3 turns, ---I 3 turns, ---scratch spin, ---sit spin, and jumps, with number of times for each element or something like "good posture". But honestly she just goes through the items on the list without paying much attention to the quality (or at least from my observation, she may argue that she did try her best...). But I guess as long as she is not leaning against the wall or taking too many water/restroom breaks, it is ok. I hope as she improves and develops (both mentally and technically), she will have a better idea of how she should practice on her own :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To OP: It seems to me you can simply setup table templates in Word (or other word processor of your choice). You would probably have three categories of moves: Group 1 (moves to be practiced every session); Group 2A, 2B, 2C ... (moves to be practiced at least one session in a week); Group 3 (moves for a specific session).

Skatedadof2

Spectator
Ty for the information the # of jumps per day of given jump would be set by coach not me. again i dont know anything about coaching FS. I do know that repetition is the mother of all learning! i do know that my child prob does 20 axels on her own daily anyways. not back to back. but in programs warm ups etc. but the # was just a example. i know doing 20 of something day after day is to much training u need upper body lower body days etc. skating terms moves day jumping day spins day program day. this is what im trying to help her set up and she is asking for.

the check list or daily planner is going to be for goal setting etc. read it write do it type of thing.

i do know one of our top coaches said on this day practice do xx jumps on another day only do 3 jumps and one day only do 1 one as though it was in your program etc. train hard one day then other day train hard on other items to maximize your practice time. just need list to help keep kids on track and flowing! if she doesnt use it then its a waste of my time not the coaches.

Skatedadof2

Spectator
TY im looking into this cant get video to load but im seaching for it. i didnt know there was a FS fitness magazine either. interesting

Skatedadof2

Spectator
i feel your pain. i dont rule over my child on the ice like some parents do at our rink. nothing crazy just like they are kids and i dont see them going the Olympics anytime soon lol. My loves the sport and i want to help her as well.

- - - Updated - - -

This Learn to Skate practice tracker just showed up in my Facebook feed. It looks adaptable to whatever skills you want to enter.

this is cool TY i like this idea too!!!!!