Number of revolutions in spins and combos ​ | Golden Skate

Number of revolutions in spins and combos ​

Arwen17

Final Flight
So I was counting the number of revolutions while I was watching the junior and novice competitions at my local rink. Then I watched some Olympic videos and counted their revolutions.
With the local skaters, it seemed to be around:
Solitary spin: 20 rev
2-combo spin = 10 rev per position
3 or 4 combo = 5-7 rev per position
Same rev was true of the Olympians, except every spin they do is always a 4-combo spin.

I know there are some test rules about revs:
Perlim - 3 rev minimum per position
Pre-juve = 4 rev min (correct position is now mandatory. aka sit spin must be low enough. camel leg must not drop etc)
Juvenile/Intermediate - 4-5 rev min
Novice/Junior/Senior - 5-6 rev

Since these are the minimums, I guess I'm kinda wondering what the maximums are for skaters of different levels?
I did some counting today on myself, but I'm fairly low level at Adult Silver (Adult Gold when I get axel).
scratch spin: 22 rev
pancake sit: 18 rev (normal sit: 10 rev after you subtract the ridiculous amt of time it takes me to get in and out of it)
back scratch: 12 rev
camel: 10 rev
back sit: 10 rev
back camel: 1-2 painfully slow rev

Subtract 2-3 spins for the time it takes to get into proper position.
I'm also not perfectly parallel in my sit and I know my camel leg droops at times during the spin before going back up into proper position. I know they stop counting as soon as your leg droops even a fraction.

How many max rev can the average junior/senior skater do?
How many max rev can an Olympic level skater do?
I want max rev for both solitary spins and 3-4 position combo spins.
I think I saw a video camel competition on youtube from some higher level skaters and they all toppled out of their solitary camel around 20-25 rev or sooner.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Its going to depend on the skater.. If you have spinners like Keegan Messing and Lucinda Ruh type spinning, your revolutions are limitless essentially as they have been known to do an insane amount of revolutions. If depends on your momentum and balance in the spin and if you have found your "sweet spot" As fas as calculating and average maximum..your guess is as good as mine.. watch videos of full events and count them up lol.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Its going to depend on the skater.. If you have spinners like Keegan Messing and Lucinda Ruh type spinning, your revolutions are limitless essentially as they have been known to do an insane amount of revolutions. If depends on your momentum and balance in the spin and if you have found your "sweet spot" As fas as calculating and average maximum..your guess is as good as mine.. watch videos of full events and count them up lol.

Well I believe most elite skaters stop at 5-7 spins per position in their combo spins so that the spins don’t eat up competition time. So just watching competitions won’t tell me what the max is for them. It would specifically have to be a “who can hold the spin the longest” competition, which isn’t an official type of competition.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well I believe most elite skaters stop at 5-7 spins per position in their combo spins so that the spins don’t eat up competition time. So just watching competitions won’t tell me what the max is for them. It would specifically have to be a “who can hold the spin the longest” competition, which isn’t an official type of competition.

Elite figure skaters and pros can spin to our hearts content when training and learning spins or just practicing, though we do what we need to and are required to for competition. There is really no way for you to know this information unless you track down every elite skater/pro and watch them every time they spin in practice etc.. I'll tell you for many it is much more than you'll ever see in competition.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Elite figure skaters and pros can spin to our hearts content when training and learning spins or just practicing, though we do what we need to and are required to for competition. There is really no way for you to know this information unless you track down every elite skater/pro and watch them every time they spin in practice etc.. I'll tell you for many it is much more than you'll ever see in competition.

Could you make a guess what the average might be? Like if you all decided to do a solitary camel spin to see how long you can hold it etc? Feels like we need a “skating book of world records” for stuff like highest axel, longest spin etc. haha

Arwen17

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmFcxDl1gg

well there is this.. lol one foot continuous revolutions 105

Oh awesome sauce!
So maybe since the previous record was 60 rev (before goddess lucinda came along), then we can say most Olympians maybe do 40-50 rev for the same spin? That’s still double the amount I do at 22 rev, so it seems reasonable.
And then camel spins are probably half of whatever rev someone can do in their scratch spin. So maybe 20-30 max rev for a solitary camel spin for Olympians? That falls in line with the camel spin competition video I saw on YouTube. They ran out of gas around the 20th–22th rev. Some of them were senior level, even though they weren’t Olympian. The difference shouldn’t be too great.