Parting ways with coach | Golden Skate

Parting ways with coach

SkateLikeTara

Spectator
So, I have worked with a coach for a few months. She regularly cancels on me due to car trouble, being sick, etc, and she usually does this within just an hour or two of our lesson.

However, she informed me that her policy was that I needed to cancel within six hours of the lesson to avoid a fee. I agreed. On the one time I needed to cancel, I did it within the six hours to avoid a fee.

Lo and behold, she tells me the policy has changed and that she now requires 24 hour notice. At first, I was like...okay, but after talking to others, they said I shouldn't have to adhere to a policy I was never informed of/agreed to.

She is continuing to hound me for this money, and I have ceased communication because it has been like borderline stalking/crazy behavior.

I would prefer to just cut contact. Is this a problem? I didn't know if she would like report me to USFS or something.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
She can't retroactively demand money from you for something you didn't agree to in advance. That's unreasonable and also wildly unethical. Her past behavior is problematic but demanding money from you for canceling a lesson within the previously agreed to time of 6 hours is basically her trying to pull a fast one on you to get paid for a service she didn't provide. A coach (or anyone providing a service) can't change the terms of an agreement on the fly and force you to pay. Don't pay her and fire her immediately. I'd also look into filing a complain with the skating director/rink manager at the rink so they know what she's doing. Even if the rink doesn't manage payments between students and coaches (mine doesn't) they still need to know what a coach who's teaching at their facility is doing. It damages her reputation AND theirs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Contact your clubs skating director. This is something they should deal with for you, especially if you feel threatened.