Measuring feet sitting vs. standing | Golden Skate

Measuring feet sitting vs. standing

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I'm curious as to why some manufacturers ask for "sitting" measurements of foot length rather than standing (some ask for both).

You don't sit while you skate, but you are standing and applying considerable force to your foot (which will at least spread minimally in response to the weight and pressure).

I know that in comparing the relative "spread" of our feet in my family, mine is by far the most dramatic from sitting to standing, so it doesn't appear that everyone's foot spreads the same.

When we got Harlicks, they measured us both sitting and standing precisely because they wanted to see how the feet spread.

However, I have seen in a reputable skate shop that they measure feet while the person is sitting only. I am not saying that this is out of line with the manufacturer's recommendations, but I am curious as to why your standing measurement isn't more, or at least *as* important. I had always found that the skates were always too small from my skater when we got them there - I am wondering if it is because of the considerable foot spread.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I have no idea why anyone wouldn't take a standing measurement. My feet look perfectly normal sitting and then spread out like duck feet when I stand. :laugh: There's almost an inch difference in circumference.

I got fitted at a rink that only did a sitting measurement, then I went to a better fitter and saved myself a painful $300 mistake. The sitting measurement didn't catch that I need a wide width.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I have no idea why anyone wouldn't take a standing measurement. My feet look perfectly normal sitting and then spread out like duck feet when I stand. [emoji23] There's almost an inch difference in circumference.

I got fitted at a rink that only did a sitting measurement, then I went to a better fitter and saved myself a painful $300 mistake. The sitting measurement didn't catch that I need a wide width.
That's precisesly my point, but I see fittings all the time where the skater is seated only.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
FWIW I've always been measured and fit sitting and standing. I'm glad they do them both.