New boot from Riedell - Elara Vega | Golden Skate

New boot from Riedell - Elara Vega

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Interesting that on their webpage, they say that you can "pre-order" the Elara (is it "Elara Vega" or are there two models - "Elara" and "Vega"?). Why in the world would you pre-order something you can't try on? They haven't yet added it to the page displaying their boot lineup, so not sure where this falls in terms of stiffness and other features.

I know this has nothing to do with fit/performance (which are the most important things) but I think they are really ugly (like Edea's ugly step-sister).

VegMom

On the Ice
is it "Elara Vega" or are there two models - "Elara" and "Vega"?
I think it's 2 different models because the webpage title (the thing that appears on the web tab in the browser) says "Feel the Revolution with Elara and Vega". The "and" to me suggests it's two different models.

Odd name choices though. Elara is a hotel/timeshare in Vegas. And Vega is a vegan protein powder.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Odd name choices though. Elara is a hotel/timeshare in Vegas. And Vega is a vegan protein powder.

Elara is one of Jupiter’s smaller moons, and Vega is a star in the constellation Lyra, so I’m guessing those are the sources for the names.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Elara is one of Jupiter’s smaller moons, and Vega is a star in the constellation Lyra, so I’m guessing those are the sources for the names.

A moon, a star... that gives new meaning to the standard coach's admonition to "keep looking up".

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting that on their webpage, they say that you can "pre-order" the Elara (is it "Elara Vega" or are there two models - "Elara" and "Vega"?). Why in the world would you pre-order something you can't try on? They haven't yet added it to the page displaying their boot lineup, so not sure where this falls in terms of stiffness and other features.

I know this has nothing to do with fit/performance (which are the most important things) but I think they are really ugly (like Edea's ugly step-sister).

I wondered about that too. Not only is try-on missing, but pricing and information on what level of skater it suits are missing as well. I clicked on the preorder link and it just takes you to a find-a-dealer site.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wondered about that too. Not only is try-on missing, but pricing and information on what level of skater it suits are missing as well. I clicked on the preorder link and it just takes you to a find-a-dealer site.
Perhaps Riedell's marketing team is taking its cue from Apple's.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I took a look earlier today. I've never skated in Riedell, but it looks like they're trying to make it look like the ice fly.. But the heel looks odd to me. Just my two cents...Not sure what comfort would be like. Curious how much..
I swear by Risport...no plans on switching.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was thinking that "Elara Vega" would be a cute name for a baby girl. I wonder if Riedell marketing would furnish free boots for a skater so named? :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I took a look earlier today. I've never skated in Riedell, but it looks like they're trying to make it look like the ice fly.. But the heel looks odd to me. Just my two cents...Not sure what comfort would be like. Curious how much..
I swear by Risport...no plans on switching.

Risport, yay! I wear risport, works well for me. Haha, but at 52 I only do simple spins and some single jumps. No axels.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That we know of, yet.
Yep, in pursuit of the ultimate lightweight boot, I propose magnesium nanoparticles embedded in an oxidizer matrix. Well suited for a program choreographed to "Firework" or the "1812 Overture".

Nimyue

On the Ice
This is soooo disappointing.... ugh...

I hope they keep their current line at least. Jeez soon I'm going to have to shell out for SP Teris or Harlicks for my daughter just to keep her in a leather freaking boot.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I suspect that it's a matter of company survival. Edeas are everywhere, and that's eating Riedell's lunch.

Like you, I hope that they continue with leather boots for those of us who prefer them. I see no reason why they wouldn't, although the Gold Star model has been given the boot from their standard lineup. (See what I did there?). They can still be ordered, but there's an up-charge. Sadly, that's what I wear.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I suspect that it's a matter of company survival. Edeas are everywhere, and that's eating Riedell's lunch.

Like you, I hope that they continue with leather boots for those of us who prefer them. I see no reason why they wouldn't, although the Gold Star model has been given the boot from their standard lineup. (See what I did there?). They can still be ordered, but there's an up-charge. Sadly, that's what I wear.
<<Emphasis added>> I wouldn't count on it. Just look at what Jackson did. Their entire stock competitive line (higher end boots sold separately, not as part of a kit with pre-mounted blades) now has synthetic uppers. Leather is available as a non-stock option for custom versions of some models. It becomes more expensive (both from a supply-chain management perspective and from a manufacturing-process perspective) to maintain both a stock traditional line and a stock new line.

With respect to the Gold Stars, I think its future has been preordained. Once a product is available only on special order, requiring both an additional surcharge and an extended delivery time, customer demand is bound to drop off. The marketing guys then review the (not-surprisingly dwindling) orders and say, "See, we told you so, nobody wants them anymore!"