The "what the heck?" programs | Golden Skate

The "what the heck?" programs

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Mine:
B/S: 2009-2010 OD
D/W: 2009-2010 OD
That skater who stopped skating to answer an imaginary phone as apart of his choreography
Kovtun's mozart
Elenas Titanic (its so bad it's good though in a campy way so I love/hate it)
H/D's R&J the arm choreo is just silly
Evegnias 9/11 tribute program
Any skater who has ever done a phantom of the opera-themed program (Including Patrick, yuzuru and D/W)
V/M's 4 seasons program

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mine:
B/S: 2009-2010 OD
D/W: 2009-2010 OD
That skater who stopped skating to answer an imaginary phone as apart of his choreography
Kovtun's mozart
Elenas Titanic (its so bad it's good though in a campy way so I love/hate it)
H/D's R&J the arm choreo is just silly
Evegnias 9/11 tribute program
Any skater who has ever done a phantom of the opera-themed program (Including Patrick, yuzuru and D/W)
V/M's 4 seasons program

Did you mean Kovtun's Beethoven? That was a horror! I happened recently to re-watch men Lp at Euros 2016 and was like :rolleye::palmf:
Or he did have a go at Mozart too (hope not)?

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Kovtun’s SP from 2016/17 was.... something. I mean, it was hilarious but also rather confusing and with that music choice, it was very what the heck

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Didn't Stephane do some weird cat program? I think he wasn't even legal when he was wearing a full body suit and rolling around on the ice...

Which also reminds me of Alina's Olympic gala routine in her tiger outfit and arching her back and such. Bizarre.

And then Evgenia had that one gala from 2017 Euros I think where she emerged from a life-sized condom? Then the music transitioned to Madonna's Vogue. I actually liked that one cuz she was so committed to the weirdness. The homosexual in me very much appreciated the fierce voguing from lil Zhenya.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Bobrova/Soloviev's 2013 'Birds' routine (with bird screeching ending)
Virtue/Moir's Seasons (deserved so much better)
Zagitova's POTO (the WTH program of the season)
Ilinykh/Katsalpov's Ghost (first version with extended voiceover middle section)
Wagner's Moulin Rouge (third time is not a charm)
Savchenko/Szolkowy Flamenco Bolero (no remix needed for this piece)
Kostner's Scheherazade (that blue dress was too much)
Zhiganshina/Gazsi two part nerd program/Swan Lake Reloaded/Zombies (a very niche team, somewhat too out there but Zombies remains one of my favourite WTH programs)

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Bestemianova & Bukin - Rasputin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OuAYxDOvwM
(I was excited, as there was no internet for everyone back then, this was the first time I would see these Olympic champions skate, well, they made quite an impression on my impressionable teenage mind)

Vyacheslav Zagorodniuk (UKR) - 1995 Euros LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FYa2yTQE4Q
(after a while, you get used to it, somewhat, in the sense that you start watching it without batting an eye)

YAGUDIN A. 1997 EX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LcLYQKpHy4
(even after years, still not used to this . . . Lambiels cat program and costume become masterpieces and good taste compared to this program . . . )

Okay, I better stop for now as I have to go to sleep within the hour and would like to have nice dreams.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Pavliuchenko & Khodykins FS this season. I don't even know the theme. it's like 10 different songs.
Kovtun's SP with the costume with all the weird buttons.
Candyman.
P/C Latin remixed Ed Sheeran
JUUUULLLLIIIIIIEEEEEETTTTTTTTT
Bonus: That time Jason skated to Hamilton (although he somehow made it work)

Fluture

Record Breaker
HOW the heck is this a what the heck program???

It does have some questionable music cuts. But it‘s far from being as “What the heck“ worthy as other programs in here. It’s quite okay, actually, I’m neutral towards it. I think it was hard to top last season‘s programs anyway, as Black Swan and Don Quixote were iconic in their own way.

(But I fear that a question like this will once again bring the topic of how awful Alina‘s current programs are in here. And the thread was pretty peaceful as it is...)

I‘d also say there‘s a difference between a good “what the heck“ moment and a bad one. Like, say JUNLIEEET was certainly such a moment but it‘s so hilarious that it‘s become kind of iconic now. Also, Elena Radionova‘s Titanic was a guilty pleasure of mine because she just seemed to live to skate this program. Not gonna lie, loved it and hated it at the same time.

Zhenya‘s exhibition to Vogue and Alina‘s gala program in the tiger costume last season were weird, too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leatitia Hubert is the master of “what the heck” and I love it :luv17:

The most recent “what the heck” would probably be Carolina’s Green Suit FS. :scratch2:

Maxim Kovtun’s I Can’t Dance for giving me that ...what the heck...I actually really like this program feeling :laugh:

I actually enjoy programs that make me say “what the heck”. It’s a part of skating and I embrace it :yes:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
HOW the heck is this a what the heck program???

it's not really a wth I guess, as we are seeing here, there are really unimaginable programs out there.
Alina's POTO is just not good, I wouldn't say it's WTH program though. I feel like, WTH programs are the kind of the silly ones that makes you laugh, that are so bad but they sometimes are even good in a way. :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
It does have some questionable music cuts. But it‘s far from being as “What the heck“ worthy as other programs in here. It’s quite okay, actually, I’m neutral towards it. I think it was hard to top last season‘s programs anyway, as Black Swan and Don Quixote were iconic in their own way.

(But I fear that a question like this will once again bring the topic of how awful Alina‘s current programs are in here. And the thread was pretty peaceful as it is...)

I‘d also say there‘s a difference between a good “what the heck“ moment and a bad one. Like, say JUNLIEEET was certainly such a moment but it‘s so hilarious that it‘s become kind of iconic now. Also, Elena Radionova‘s Titanic was a guilty pleasure of mine because she just seemed to live to skate this program. Not gonna lie, loved it and hated it at the same time.

Zhenya‘s exhibition to Vogue and Alina‘s gala program in the tiger costume last season were weird, too.

omg yes, Alina's gala at the Olympics was a huge WTH moment for me.
Evgenia's Vogue gives me the WTH vibes too.

I saw some people shocked by Satoko's current EX and Sui/Han current EX too. I find both of them fine though. :laugh:

zounger

Medalist
It's just personal opinions. Different stuff can be considered "what the heck" for different people. So BillNeal's comment is fine, I think.

I tend to like all the "what the heck" programs mentioned above though, for some strange reason. :biggrin:

lappo

Final Flight
I agree with most of the aforementioned and I also would include Liza's current EX.

illusionspin

Rinkside
Evgenia’s 9/11 (the screams midway through the music???) and any program depicting the Holocaust are extremely in bad taste.