The "what the heck?" programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "what the heck?" programs

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How did this thread get to be three whole pages long without the mention of T/M’s CandyMan?

I bet you all attended some sort of collective hypnosis class to reprogram your brains into forgetting that atrocity of a program ever existed in the first place.

Oh. Thanks for not inviting me along, you bunch of meanie jerks. You’re all now officially dead to me, every last one of you. :unsure: :laugh:

Candyman was already mentioned here several times LOL!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hi, it’s me again, I just thought of a few more:

Laurine Lecavelier: “my heart belongs to daddy...” *instantanelously begins dry heaving*

Maé-Bérénice Méité: Chopin, pause, completely unexpected costume change into a rainbow sequinned skirt, cue the pulsating electronica fresh beats of C2C... :slink:

Dem French ladies and their penchant for a patented strange brew of wacky music choices is really, really.... quite something, isn’t it. :dbana:

Finally, she’s not a French skater, but who else remembers Nikolai Morozov’s daughter Annabelle doing that Jessica Rabbit program when competing in the juvenile level at the 2014 US nationals, several months before she turned 13?

Yes. I said barely 13. You read that right. I even checked several sources just now to verify her age during that particular competition.

She. Was. Still. Only. Twelve. Years. Old. You. Guys. *dry heaving resumes*

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know who skated this program so I can try to look it up? I'm dying to see this bit with the telephone!

Didn’t Alexei Urmanov also pause mid performance to answer an imaginary phone, mime style, during one of his programs at the 94 Olympics?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

*begins repetitively chanting out loud* Don't make an R Kelly joke, don’t make an R Kelly joke, don’t make an R Kelly joke, come on Sarah, don’t do it, restrain yourself, keep it all in your head, damn you, get a grip and pull yourself together, at least try to fake having even the most minuscule level of concious restraint, hold that verbal diarrhea in instead of letting it spew all over the place, just think of cute kittens and puppies and Andrew Poje, but don’t you dare make any R Kelly jokes, I’m warning you, there will be a self performed lobotomy if you don’t cool it...

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn’t Alexei Urmanov also pause mid performance to answer an imaginary phone, mime style, during one of his programs at the 94 Olympics?

Yes his 1994 FS - comments on YouTube reference the first embarrassing 10 seconds and 3:03, so many odd arm moves for such a wonderful jumper https://youtu.be/EGGBQbCBoW0

There was another gal at US Nationals who used the woo who theme from Vontage one year - perhaps a sponsor? I think it was Danielle Kahle, but since I can't find it anywhere I may be wrong. I could hardly watch it.
https://youtu.be/Uc_59KJE8S8

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, the music was a problem in that it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any of the many cultures they were allegedly attempting to portray, but otherwise, this is exactly the case. I think I've mentioned this previously, but Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman also did an original dance representing an Aboriginal Australian culture (I'm not sure of the exact nation), consulting carefully with Elders and community members as they developed the program to ensure that they did so accurately and respectfully, and without overstepping the bounds of what aspects of the nation's culture it was appropriate for outsiders to share in. It was beautiful, successful and respectful.

I will forever wish that this program of Dani and Greg's was at the Olympics that year just to utterly humiliate Dominina/Shabalin and show the world the way to do it.

I'm surmising from your post that aboriginal people in Australia might be likened to Native Americans in North America, in this sense...

In America, while we sort of gather native people into one category called "Native Americans," there are actually many tribes - Cherokee, Sioux, Apache, etc. It's sort of the same way we say "Europeans" to indicate a geographic class of people, without distinguishing (nor intentionally disrespecting) French people, Italian people, Norwegians - who, of course, have their own distinct cultures.

So, is this similar to aboriginal people in Australia? Because, if so, I did not know that.

Somewhat. There are different peoples. Some were nomadic, and some lived in a fixed location, depending on geography, and had their own lands. For example, the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast took place on what is considered to be the traditional lands of the Yugambeh people. It's believed there were more than 250 Indigenous Australian languages and dialects around the time the British came.

In case you were curious, Harley's Indigenous ancestry can be traced to the Weilwyn, Gamilaraay, and Ngarrable people.

moses

Rinkside
I'm wracking my brain to think about a program with voiceovers that wasn't WTH (maybe besides V/M's Moulin Rouge?)

Seriously, 99% of the time voiceovers never sound good.

As for the most WTH, don't get me started on I/K's Ghost program...

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Interesting. I thought a shot of whiskey could help for performance anxiety, but I guess I was wrong. Or she overdid it...

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just rediscovered this exhibition, which is much funnier with sound...anyone know where i can find one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9XlM5fwCZk

Fabulous gala performance by Tracey Wilson and Robert McCall at the 1986 Worlds. Performing to Rockit by Herbie Hancock. I like to call it robots doing ice dance...

We need more funny skates like this..