Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau to compete in pairs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau to compete in pairs

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Basically blindsided her (and everybody else) that he wanted to end things.

There's a translation of a piece about it here.

What should Charlie have done differently, do you think? Given her more warning that he was dissatisfied? But wouldn't that have sabotaged the team? This is a real question, because I've been thinking about it. How could he have let her down gently?

I've thought also about why he waited till after they'd already commissioned the new season's programs, and then made the break. Maybe he couldn't see clearly how dissatisfied he was in the partnership until that point.

Another recent break-up was when Mervin Tran announced to Marissa Castelli that he was flying to California for a try-out with another skater. That was the end, and it was just as abrupt. I'm wondering how either Mervin or Charlie could have done it differently ... but I think any pair's break-up must have this kind of shock to it. It's just that the other person in the pair doesn't usually publicize the details of how it happened.

Let me say, though ... I'm interested to see what new possibilities the pairing of Lubov and Charlie will reveal. Wish them the best, and I wish Julianne the best in her partner search. She's still quite young, so the right partner could turn up.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What should Charlie have done differently, do you think? Given her more warning that he was dissatisfied? But wouldn't that have sabotaged the team? This is a real question, because I've been thinking about it. How could he have let her down gently?
I think he owed it to Julianne to be upfront that he was uncertain that the partnership was working, which would allow them to see if it could still work on equal footing, as opposed to arriving at that decision entirely by himself.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. ^^ It's like some USA commentators are always (rightly) saying, work through your problems together, rather than just giving up on the partnership.

Being upfront, though, can be easier said than done. I personally think that Charlie may have been trying for a longer time to be diplomatic and caring about Juliane's feelings ... to a fault. Maybe he didn't have experience or assistance in how best to bring up his concerns. Actually, I just remembered Rudy Galindo describing how Kristi Yamaguchi ended their partnership -- through a mediator. Which I'm sure was the only way Kristi could have done it. But it was still just as much of a shock and a hurt to Rudy.

Thank you for your answer. :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yes. ^^ It's like some USA commentators are always (rightly) saying, work through your problems together, rather than just giving up on the partnership.

Being upfront, though, can be easier said than done. I personally think that Charlie may have been trying for a longer time to be diplomatic and caring about Juliane's feelings ... to a fault. Maybe he didn't have experience or assistance in how best to bring up his concerns. Actually, I just remembered Rudy Galindo describing how Kristi Yamaguchi ended their partnership -- through a mediator. Which I'm sure was the only way Kristi could have done it. But it was still just as much of a shock and a hurt to Rudy.

Thank you for your answer. :)

As I recall (and I don't remember all this perfectly), there was this slight difference that Kristi wanted to go on her own - and was very successfull at that too. As was Rudy in the end who skated the best individual Swan Lake I have ever seen. Both Charlie and Julianne want to stay in pairs. I think the hurt is worse in that case - and I really wouldn't know how to go about it either. However, Kristi and Rudy still remained friends, mates, whatever. She turned up as a supporter when he was inaugurated in the US Hall of Fame (Not sure about this, she could also have turned up when he was honoured in a different way. But she did turn up at an important moment for him) while he always acknowledged that her choice for singles was a shock but understandable. To me the situation isn't similar. I would rather compare it with the surprise of Dylan when Kirstin decided to change partners. I know, Kirstin was also thinking about 2022 which Dyland wasn't but it was still a surprise. A nasty one, even though he managed to find a wonderful different partner (we know who). Rooting for Julianne to also find the perfect partner so she can continue.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think he owed it to Julianne to be upfront that he was uncertain that the partnership was working, which would allow them to see if it could still work on equal footing, as opposed to arriving at that decision entirely by himself.

I still don't understand why did Seguin and Bilodeau split? I don't see anything in these posts that really explains what happened.

rain

Record Breaker
I never condemn anyone who's not getting what they want out of a partnership and make a change. And I say that as a huge Seguin/Bilodeau fan who was heartbroken that they split. I thought they deserved at least a couple places higher at the Olympics.

Julianne has many strengths, but she was never going to be balletic or have the most beautiful lines. That may have been a consideration if Charlie had his eyes set on the top of the worlds podium eventually. Especially with all of their injury issues the last few seasons. I think in terms of line and matching, Charlie and Lubov could be a good fit long term.

On the other hand, the jumps are a BIG problem. Lubov never landed them in the past. I hope the future will be different, as Lubov is one of the most talented pair girls in the world otherwise, in terms of charisma, flexibility, expression, lifts, spins etc. I'm crossing my fingers for them. But I'd think jump boot camp would be pretty much first thing on the agenda.

I'm also crossing my fingers that Julianne can find a kick butt partner and continue to compete. It's always more difficult finding a male partner. But finding a female partner who can land the jumps as well as Julianne can is no picnic either.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This new team could be interesting and the Canadian team needs some talent and there is room especially now. I agree jump boot camp for Lyubov and strengthening for Bilodeau. Dare I suggest Mervin Tran for Julianne. I personally am over Tran. so many partners, so many countries; sure he wants to win, sure it is a me first society but I think he has had his chances with so many talented ladies.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Interesting, I like both skaters and I hope Charlie doesn't get dissatisfied with Lubov when she misses her SBS jumps.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still don't understand why did Seguin and Bilodeau split? I don't see anything in these posts that really explains what happened.

Suggest you read the translation of the article that Colonel Green linked, above.

Mervin is still a little divided in his intentions. Skating with a new American partner who's brand new to pairs ... and still training in Canada, apparently? At Natl's he looked lackluster without Marissa, but Olivia can jump. And it was their very first competition. I can't see Mervin with Juliane at all. I wonder if she might coax Joshua Reagan out of retirement? He has a more classical skating style, though.

Ziotic

Medalist
Suggest you read the translation of the article that Colonel Green linked, above.

Mervin is still a little divided in his intentions. Skating with a new American partner who's brand new to pairs ... and still training in Canada, apparently? At Natl's he looked lackluster without Marissa, but Olivia can jump. And it was their very first competition. I can't see Mervin with Juliane at all. I wonder if she might coax Joshua Reagan out of retirement? He has a more classical skating style, though.

What about Francois B-A? Or has he also retired.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm very optimistic about this pair.

And I don't give a fig about who did the dumping or who got dumped in the past.

We see only a very tiny bit of the life of pairs or dance teams, so we have absolutely no idea of what leads any of them to make decisions on continuing (or not) different partnerships.

I've been in a job I didn't like, and I've worked with people who did not make me happy, and I've been in jobs that weren't going to get me where I wanted to be professionally, and I actively sought other circumstances. I won't condemn anyone for making a similar choice.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Skating with a new American partner who's brand new to pairs ... and still training in Canada, apparently?

Is it forbidden for an American skater to train in Canada? :eekn: Didn't Mervin and Marissa train in Montreal in Richard Gauthier team?

What about Francois B-A? Or has he also retired.

As far as I understood he retired from team Japan, but not from figure skating in general.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am sure Charlie is aware of the risks with Liyubov and her jumps. But hasn't she been kind of retired for almost a year. If her jumps were bad then well...

So is Mervyn skating for the States now?

Maybe he can convince Duhamel to unretire? Doubt it as she seems happy now. Of course, will it really matter when the Queen (Savchenko) returns to her throne?

ribbit

On the Ice
Is it forbidden for an American skater to train in Canada? :eekn: Didn't Mervin and Marissa train in Montreal in Richard Gauthier team?

No, not at all. But Mervin is a Canadian citizen, and to represent the United States at the Olympics he would have to become an American citizen. That will be almost impossible if he doesn't meet the standard residency requirements...and he can't meet them if he's living and training abroad. If he and Olivia don't have any ambition to go to the Olympics, then his citizenship status and place of residence don't matter. But if he and Olivia want to keep that option open, they'll need to move to the US and begin the long process of establishing residency and pursuing citizenship for Mervin.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Of course, it isn't forbidden, but if Mervin wants to represent America in the Olympics, he has to get American citizenship, and it's almost impossible if he lives and trains in Canada for most of the year. So I was surprised to see that he and Olivia seem to be training in Montreal. But perhaps he and Olivia hope to skate for Canada? It's unknown.

And yes, Mervin and Marissa trained in Montreal. So I was surprised that he would repeat the same situation that they lived with for 4 years. However, it's possible that he and Olivia aren't aiming to compete at the 2022 Olympics, just to compete in the US and for the US. I apologize for being incomplete in my earlier post. Someone suggested Julianne possibly skating with Mervin; at least they're both already Canadian.

So is Mervyn skating for the states now?

Maybe he can convince Duhamel to unretire? Doubt it as she seems happy now. Of course, will it really matter when the Queen (Savchenko) returns to her throne?

Mervin has been skating for the states since 2014, with Marissa from 2014-18, and now with Olivia Serafini. US nationals was actually their very first competition.

Yes, sure it matters! LOL. But, do you know something I don't know about Aljona?