Back scratch... | Golden Skate

Back scratch...

energywithin22

Rinkside
I'm trying to learn back scratch spin but the feeling of going into a spin from an inside edge feels so alien that I slightly panic everytime and rush waaay too much into it, end up making a bad one revolution, lol. Does anyone have any tips how to feel more at ease? I have no problems with inside edges (outside also not, btw :) )

celia

Rinkside
I'm trying to learn back scratch spin but the feeling of going into a spin from an inside edge feels so alien that I slightly panic everytime and rush waaay too much into it, end up making a bad one revolution, lol. Does anyone have any tips how to feel more at ease? I have no problems with inside edges (outside also not, btw :) )

I struggled with my backspin tremendously and it remains a work in progress. Coaches had me trying different entries. This may help you, especially if you don't like the inside 3-turn approach. For instance:

- change foot spin from a forward spin
- enter from a backwards pivot. Put your right toe into the ice (if you are CCW spinner), spin around the toe once, then get on your RBO edge and spin around another time (you can use your left leg to "scull" a little) then pick up your free leg, and snap into the spin, which spins on a RBO edge
- if you struggle with the RFI 3 entry (again CCW), try just practicing just the 3-turn and then HOLDING the RBO edge without spinning, but spiraling it inwards
- practice holding the "h-position" on a hockey circle, again on your RBO edge (imagine your body is an 'h' with your free leg forming the curve of the 'h'
- also if you feel you are rushing the entry. what my coach had me do was this to help me center - 1. LFI edge - half-circle. 2. RFI edge - now you will see many advanced skaters hold this also a half-circle before doing the 3-turn. As a learning technique, I hold it three-quarters of a circle before doing the 3-turn. This helps me center but in your case maybe it will help you not rush.

Beware of spinning on your RFI edge (I have been guilty of this!). Spinning on the wrong edge is a bad habit that takes a lot of work to correct. Keep thinking of putting your weight over your pinky toe.

Hope this helps and good luck!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
In addition to Celia's ideas, you could also try entering directly off the back outside edge like a loop jump or twizzle entry.

Be patient on the entry and make sure the 3-turn happens before you start to spin. Also, don't focus on pulling in. The spin can be done in an open position, which while harder also makes it less likely you will spin on your toe.

And I'm going to repeat the following from Celia because this is an excellent exercise:
*Practice holding the "h-position" on a hockey circle, again on your RBO edge (imagine your body is an 'h' with your free leg forming the curve of the 'h'
*Try just practicing just the 3-turn and then HOLDING the RBO edge without spinning, but spiraling it inwards
Once you can do both of these you can try to enter the spin by bending your knee and deepening the edge into the spin.

energywithin22

Rinkside
In addition to Celia's ideas, you could also try entering directly off the back outside edge like a loop jump or twizzle entry.

Be patient on the entry and make sure the 3-turn happens before you start to spin. Also, don't focus on pulling in. The spin can be done in an open position, which while harder also makes it less likely you will spin on your toe.

And I'm going to repeat the following from Celia because this is an excellent exercise:
*Practice holding the "h-position" on a hockey circle, again on your RBO edge (imagine your body is an 'h' with your free leg forming the curve of the 'h'
*Try just practicing just the 3-turn and then HOLDING the RBO edge without spinning, but spiraling it inwards
Once you can do both of these you can try to enter the spin by bending your knee and deepening the edge into the spin.

Thank you both for the suggestions :) tomorrow I have my group lesson so I'm also gonna talk to my coach about it. I sometimes find it frustrating how technical figure skating is, haha