Figure Skates dilemma | Golden Skate

Figure Skates dilemma

hsc3640

Spectator
hey its my first time posting on any site like this so i apologize if i posted in the wrong thread i just really need advice regarding skates! i obtained an ankle injury 5 years ago due to bad support in my skates and constantly landing on the same unhealed injury i forget exact model but they were gam skates, i changed to the Jackson brand with a higher stiffness ( i apologize lack of details it was 5 years ago i barely remember!) and swiftly started seeing improvements getting my axels and doubles back and just feeling more support in my ankle area however the injury never healed and im quite of an aggressive jumper that during the summer of 2015 i ripped my hip out of my socket while casually playing soccer after a figure skating practice and i tore a bunch of ligaments. I was in the hospital it was a whole mess and I temporary quit skating to recover. Four years later (i have doctors approval) im finally mostly healed and i just registered for spring sessions and im over the moon ive really missed this part of my life. Now i am just nervous because my whole right side is still feeling weak compared to my left and my right foot is my landing foot. Im really just looking for advice for the best skate boot that will have the most ankle support and just make me feel secure so i dont have to worry that every jump i land is harming my progress. Ive heard that edea boots are very cushion-y so ive been looking at those however i would love to hear more advice. My former coach has recommended the edea as well specifically the edea chorus but since ill be paying for these myself i just want to make sure they are worth it and help me in all aspects. Just some logistics im in my late teens im not that heavy only 120lbs, I wont be doing much on the ice at first but im aiming to get back to the level i was before the injury (doubles) however im a really big jumper and aggressive lander and i compete in singles not pairs or ice dance! Thank you im looking forward to hearing feedback im so happy to be going back i was smiling the whole time typing this!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hey its my first time posting on any site like this so i apologize if i posted in the wrong thread i just really need advice regarding skates! i obtained an ankle injury 5 years ago due to bad support in my skates and constantly landing on the same unhealed injury i forget exact model but they were gam skates, i changed to the Jackson brand with a higher stiffness ( i apologize lack of details it was 5 years ago i barely remember!) and swiftly started seeing improvements getting my axels and doubles back and just feeling more support in my ankle area however the injury never healed and im quite of an aggressive jumper that during the summer of 2015 i ripped my hip out of my socket while casually playing soccer after a figure skating practice and i tore a bunch of ligaments. I was in the hospital it was a whole mess and I temporary quit skating to recover. Four years later (i have doctors approval) im finally mostly healed and i just registered for spring sessions and im over the moon ive really missed this part of my life. Now i am just nervous because my whole right side is still feeling weak compared to my left and my right foot is my landing foot. Im really just looking for advice for the best skate boot that will have the most ankle support and just make me feel secure so i dont have to worry that every jump i land is harming my progress. Ive heard that edea boots are very cushion-y so ive been looking at those however i would love to hear more advice. My former coach has recommended the edea as well specifically the edea chorus but since ill be paying for these myself i just want to make sure they are worth it and help me in all aspects. Just some logistics im in my late teens im not that heavy only 120lbs, I wont be doing much on the ice at first but im aiming to get back to the level i was before the injury (doubles) however im a really big jumper and aggressive lander and i compete in singles not pairs or ice dance! Thank you im looking forward to hearing feedback im so happy to be going back i was smiling the whole time typing this!!

First of all, you need to get a physio to work with on strengthening your "weak side" so you don't re-injure yourself.
Secondly, freestyle and pairs you're going to get the same suggestions for boots, heck even some jr and sr ice dancers wear EDEA Concerto and Chorus.

Okay, so you need to see an expert figure skating boot fitter who can look at your foot and measure you etc to put you in the perfect boot for YOU, we can suggest until the end of time, but we can't see your foot and what it specifically needs.

That said, look into Risport: The Royal Pro is good for doubles and some triples. The RF3 Pro as well will be ok for doubles.
Jackson: Elite 5200.
Edea: Chorus

I wouldn't go lower than a JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional for your blade either. If you are a powerful jumper, look into working up to a Pattern 99 blade in the future, they are most likely out of your price range right now and you won't need them for awhile anyway.

Those are my suggestions. Just make sure you are not getting talked into a boot that isn't right for you specifically.

Good luck!

Nimyue

On the Ice
Edeas are made so that your ankle is allowed a lot of movement front to back. If you have a history of ankle injuries, I can't think of a worse boot.

If the Jacksons worked for you before, I'd stick with that. But really a good fitter will help determine the boot that will work best for you.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
As Nimyue and Ic3Rabbit have suggested, do go see a fitter AND please make sure you disclose to them the extent and nature of your injuries. This is important information for them in considering the level of support you require.

From my own personal experience, I am booted a bit stiffer than normal for my level in consideration of my prior injuries and also some general issues with pronation. My skater also has a history of ankle issues and pronation, so also needs more support.

Also, FWIW, sometimes your foot changes after injury (my mother broke her ankle severely and then her foot "grew" after that) so you may be surprised by what fits/doesn't fit and what feels comfortable/uncomfortable. If you have a good fitter, trust their recommendations for your feet.