Mai Mihara: Greatest #4 Skater of All Time? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mai Mihara: Greatest #4 Skater of All Time?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think Tuktamysheva is the Greatest #4 Skater of All Time. Skater with a bronze medal of GPF and with 3A. :drama:

Unlike Mai, she was considered no. 1 in her home country at the very least, in the season 14/15. Even though it was Radionova who won The Russian Nationals then. Mai was never considered no.1 in her country.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I mean... who does Michel even have for competition back home?

Březina hasn't done the Nationals for quite a few years, so it is hard to do a direct comparison. But, there are three young skaters that have been doing very well on both the domestic and international scenes.

The Bělohradský brothers, Jiří and Matyáš, have dominated the Senior Czech Championships in recent years. Petr Kotlařík is the perennial #3 behind the brothers.

There is no disputing that Březina is the Czech #1. But, it is certainly not the case that there is nobody else.

CaroLiza_fan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm probably among the minority, but I much prefer Mai over her training mate, Kaori. I just find her stiff and awkward from the waist up, especially her arms.

Not disputing any of Kaori's wins or placements anywhere. She deserves her spot on the world team. I just don't enjoy watching her skating as much as other Japanese ladies (Satoko, Rika K., Wakaba, Marin).

Agreed. I prefer Mai's skating to Kaori's - but I appreciate the huge jumps Kaori has, and her choice of programs/choreo is more exciting. But in terms of aesthetics, I still find Kaori's skating to still be rather clunky (although there has been noticeable improvement this season).

chloepoco

Medalist
have you seen her live? i find her very "small"... on tv she is exquisite ... but at the rink, the time i saw her.. and yes.. maybe she wasn't at her best... who knows? everything looked small and bland and not drawing the crowd in... and i went there as a huge fan. :( but if the question is "is mai the best of the 4thss.... i would say yes... in the sense that i'd rather watch her skate than michal " but i know some will disagree

I’ve seen Mai live, and I actually have the opposite impression than you. I thought her skating was even more beautiful live—so quiet, so ethereal. Not sure if that’s what you mean by skating small, but I fell in love with her skating after watching her live!

Goldenchicken

Spectator
I’ve seen Mai live, and I actually have the opposite impression than you. I thought her skating was even more beautiful live—so quiet, so ethereal. Not sure if that’s what you mean by skating small, but I fell in love with her skating after watching her live!
I have also seen her live and was a bit disappointed. She was one of my favorites and her performance wasn't drawing me in.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Brezina is a three time national champion. I really don't think you can say that he was never a Top 3 Skater in his country.

i read the title of the thread... not the entire paragraph.... on this forum, there is a guy used to be called potato king : brezina as he would always get the potato medal... but that's a while ago and some of the newer fans may not remember his back to back finish off the podium at wolds.

you know.. a lot of skaters have uncharacteristic careers .. i can name two from Canada just because i don't want to bore everyone..but just to put in perspective that mai is not alone and on top of that, she is young and there is still a lot of opportunity for her to change things, if she can.

Kevin Reynolds : finished as high as 5th in the worlds. Has a silver olympic medal with a very celebrated performance in the FP in Sochi where many thought he outskated plushenko... has won 4cc beating guys like Yuzuru Hanyu and many others. Yet, he has never won his national championships and during his entire career, has been in the shadow of Patrick Chan. Yet, he is in the record books being the first skater landing 2 different quads in the SP. Also, he is one of the first if not the first to try 3 different quads in the LP... but he didn't succeed to land his 4loop ever.

Elladj Baldé : has won an international challenger competition (Nebelhorn) yet has never been on the podium Nationally.

and then one more for fun

Gabrielle Daleman has medals from the ISU championships (worlds and 4CC) has won a gold in the Olympics team event with an epic free skate... she has 3 national titles but has often finished 4 to 6th on the GP circuit... even on the challenger series she has more 4 to 6 placements than medals..

Some skaters are stuck behind dominant countrymen/women and find ways to shine in the competitions they have access to. It's just the way it is.

andromache

Record Breaker
Compared to Rika, Wakaba, Marin, Satoko, and Kaori, Mai is just less appealing. It's very unfortunate for her, because in any other country - even Russia in certain years - she would definitely be in the top 3. Good SS, jumps, and spins - but she isn't AMAZING in anything, and her performance/choreo is kind of bland compared to her countrywomen. That said, I do wonder if Japan will regret sending Satoko over Mai, since Satoko is and always will be very prone to URs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I appreciate there are many takes on this rather ambigous title. But I was say the best no. four might be Tiffany Chin who was fourth at the 1984 olympics - thank goodnesss for historical videos; and for sure Bourne and Kraatz who placed oufth at the olympics. Liza would match her right now as she is the odd woman out in russia, Agai it depends on what you are looking at. Gracie Gold was an amazing 4th at the olympics and worlds. Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner when they came fourth at their nationals during the olympic years might be deemed the best no.4. This one is h ard to answer because it is really unclear no.4 where, when, context.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Compared to Rika, Wakaba, Marin, Satoko, and Kaori, Mai is just less appealing. It's very unfortunate for her, because in any other country - even Russia in certain years - she would definitely be in the top 3. Good SS, jumps, and spins - but she isn't AMAZING in anything, and her performance/choreo is kind of bland compared to her countrywomen. That said, I do wonder if Japan will regret sending Satoko over Mai, since Satoko is and always will be very prone to URs.

It's sad because skating wise she's not worse than them imo. Other top skaters have room for mistake while she has to be perfect to expect to win something. At this point, with the average PCS she gets, the only way for her to stop finishing behind girls with mistakes is to up the tech. Like getting a 3A or a quad. Unless she become another skater à la 14yo-15yo Kwan. At 2017 worlds despite delivering the highest BV of the event and the 2nd highest TES, she was only fourth in LP. Because she was almost 13 points behind Medvedeva, 8 points behind Osmond, 6 points behind Daleman in PCS. Her PCS went to an average of 63 to 66 in three seasons.

Danibellerika

Medalist

I agree. When I first saw Mai skating at Worlds practice in Helsinki, I couldn't take my eyes off her. Just watching her stroking around and doing crossovers was very pleasant to watch (save for the spirals...). But since then I can't say I've felt the same, though I only have TV to speak of (and 2017 ACI but she wasn't peaked then).

I feel bad that she'll forever be stuck with David Wilson's most bland and uninspiring work. But as for Satoko, hey, she medalled on the GP circuit, made the final, is a 2x world medalist and just off the Olympic podium. And really you only need 2 of the 3 skaters to secure 3 spots. Japan has never lost 3 spots with Satoko on the team...I understand the rationale.

I appreciate there are many takes on this rather ambigous title. But I was say the best no. four might be Tiffany Chin who was fourth at the 1984 olympics - thank goodnesss for historical videos; and for sure Bourne and Kraatz who placed oufth at the olympics. Liza would match her right now as she is the odd woman out in russia, Agai it depends on what you are looking at. Gracie Gold was an amazing 4th at the olympics and worlds. Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner when they came fourth at their nationals during the olympic years might be deemed the best no.4. This one is h ard to answer because it is really unclear no.4 where, when, context.

Mirai was never 4th in Olympic years...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree. When I first saw Mai skating at Worlds practice in Helsinki, I couldn't take my eyes off her. Just watching her stroking around and doing crossovers was very pleasant to watch (save for the spirals...). But since then I can't say I've felt the same, though I only have TV to speak of (and 2017 ACI but she wasn't peaked then).

I feel bad that she'll forever be stuck with David Wilson's most bland and uninspiring work. But as for Satoko, hey, she medalled on the GP circuit, made the final, is a 2x world medalist and just off the Olympic podium. And really you only need 2 of the 3 skaters to secure 3 spots. Japan has never lost 3 spots with Satoko on the team...I understand the rationale.

Mirai was never 4th in Olympic years...

Oops right forgot. My confusion:)

skatenewbie

Medalist
She need to made it to GPF if she want to have a PCS reputation, she was 1st alternate this season. Her PCS this year is not that bad actually and improved but really slowly if you compare to many others. She's constantly around 32/66 area (except 4CC she got 33/67) which is not really far off Kaori 33/67-68. She's not UR kind of skater but she did have quite a bit this season even though only 1 or 2 across programs but it is hindering her, since she doesnt have highest GOE in TES.

I actually really want her to try more fiery program, she can do both really well. Her Libertango SP for example is good choreo wise and she also performed it the best she can. She got couple StSq4 with that program, also with her Gabriel FS later on. She need to capitalize her step since she's performed it well and always got good GOE but often lost in level 3, so instead 1.4 GOE she only got 0.9 something.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm probably among the minority, but I much prefer Mai over her training mate, Kaori. I just find her stiff and awkward from the waist up, especially her arms.

Not disputing any of Kaori's wins or placements anywhere. She deserves her spot on the world team. I just don't enjoy watching her skating as much as other Japanese ladies (Satoko, Rika K., Wakaba, Marin).

Agree. I adore Mai Mihara's skating, to me it is delicate grace, freshness, and real joy combined with sure execution. I was lucky to see her take Bronze at SA 2016, her first Senior GP. The arena loved her beautiful skating. She has great strength of character and has said that the skater she most looks up to is Mao Asada - I think both of these things shine through her skating.