Small chips in a blade | Golden Skate

Small chips in a blade

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
If there are small chips in a blade generally that could be sharpened out correct?
I got some new blades and during shipping they hit eachother and as a result some small scratch-chip type marks.. Very minor...
Anyone else experience this?
They are high end blades over $800 if that makes a difference.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
They should have packed those blades better, but in any case, sharpen them and skate. You'll be fine.

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
If there are small chips in a blade generally that could be sharpened out correct?
I got some new blades and during shipping they hit eachother and as a result some small scratch-chip type marks.. Very minor...

Can you provide a photo? If there are visible chipping chances are you'd be better off sending them back as the blades will have a shorter sharpening life. If there are minor scratches you can get them sharpened at a skate tech or by yourself.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
They should have packed those blades better, but in any case, sharpen them and skate. You'll be fine.

Thanks, I thought so.. I've had minor nicks over the years and I'm pretty sure they went away after a sharpening lol think I'm just being paranoid bc they cost so much lol

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Can you provide a photo? If there are visible chipping chances are you'd be better off sending them back as the blades will have a shorter sharpening life. If there are minor scratches you can get them sharpened at a skate tech or by yourself.

Thanks for your reply! For some reason I have trouble posting photos here.. It is very small and they offered a discount. I may just keep them.. I think even using a stone will get it out. I think I'm being a worry wort lol

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
Thanks for your reply! For some reason I have trouble posting photos here.. It is very small and they offered a discount. I may just keep them.. I think even using a stone will get it out. I think I'm being a worry wort lol

Don't use a stone if you don't have a special jig for sharpening but if you know what you're doing go ahead.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

It depends on the actual size of the chips (or are they scratches?) and where exactly on the blades?

What blade is it?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd also be interested in knowing what blades they are. You say you got them at a discount. Were they missing the manufacturer's box and repackaged? Blades I've purchased typically are boxed such that the edges can't bang into each other. Often there are protective foam inserts or plastic strips. And these were even for blades in the $200 range, not over $800.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
The gel strips came off because I guess in the store they showed the blade to someone, stores have done this for me so I'm not surprised. The gel, It never stays on after that.. They gave me a discount when I sent photos and complained. I didn't originally have a discount. Came in the original box as well. These things happen...

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Bring them to a good sharpener who knows what they are doing and ask them. Most likely, they can be sharpened out, and you've gotten a discount, which is lovely. But if he feels he'd have to sharpen them a lot, lessening their life by some considerable measure... then that discount may not be worth it.