ESPN World Fame 100 2019 - Yuzuru Hanyu #64 | Golden Skate

ESPN World Fame 100 2019 - Yuzuru Hanyu #64

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the only one with 0 social following

:rofl2:

He's wise to stay off social media I think, but yes, how much higher he might be with just a twitter account - as it is his name is all over them (and I wonder if that endorsements figure was calculated before or after his latest contract - and even if it's correct? Yuzuru is good at keeping things under wraps...)

Danibellerika

Medalist
Alina Zagitova and Tessa Virtue are also in the female version of the top 25, both with $2.5 million in endorsement

I do wonder about the accuracy here because I feel like Med got a lot of endorsements compared to Zag and has a larger social following, and yet she isn't on this list. Also I'm a little surprised about Simone Biles. For some reason I thought she'd be at more than $6 mill a year. Hmmm. Anyway, Congrats to Yuzu once again and everyone else! Was curious about what a top guy in this sport could be earning a year so if that's accurate, good for him.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This is a global version... :noshake: I'm sure a baseball player is not known outside of N-A at all..:laugh:

Sam L

Medalist
It really pisses me off how someone like Nishikori in tennis who hasn’t even won a slam can be so much higher than Hanyu who has like 2 gold medals. I do love how his social media following is 0. He’s above it. Lol

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Not sure about Bryce Harper specifically, but Major League Baseball has a lot of international athletes - so pretty sure it’s not just followed within North America.

This list doesn’t seem super accurate though - don’t think footballers like Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas are still considered to be that great.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure about Bryce Harper specifically, but Major League Baseball has a lot of international athletes - so pretty sure it’s not just followed within North America.

This list doesn’t seem super accurate though - don’t think footballers like Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas are still considered ‘power’’.

I think it's a bit like cricket, huge in a very restricted list of countries... and pretty much a blank in the rest of the world.

ankifeather

Final Flight
It really pisses me off how someone like Nishikori in tennis who hasn’t even won a slam can be so much higher than Hanyu who has like 2 gold medals. I do love how his social media following is 0. He’s above it. Lol

I guess it is not as simple as just comparing absolute amounts. Nishikori has taken on way more endorsement than Yuzu, who generally restricts it to no more than 5 (as he prefers to focus on training and is not that interested in commercials). Japan sometimes publishes ranking of athlete's value per endorsement, and in a recent one, I recall Hanyu and Nishikori are similar in value, but Yuzu ranks higher. Given ESPN has Nishikori at $33m (he has like 15 endorsements) and Hanyu at $13m (with around 5), it accords with the Japanese ranking of per endorsement value.

Also rarity comes into play. Asians are much rarer in tennis than figure skating.

I do wonder about the accuracy here because I feel like Med got a lot of endorsements compared to Zag and has a larger social following, and yet she isn't on this list. Also I'm a little surprised about Simone Biles. For some reason I thought she'd be at more than $6 mill a year. Hmmm. Anyway, Congrats to Yuzu once again and everyone else! Was curious about what a top guy in this sport could be earning a year so if that's accurate, good for him.

Same as above, its not just about how many endorsement but the value of each one. As Olympic champion, I wouldn't be surprised if Zagitova is paid more per endorsement. Arakawa once mentioned you get paid so much more as Olympic champion than world champion. Simon Biles' figure isn't as surprising considering what other female athletes more famous than her are getting. The gender imbalance between man and women earnings on this ranking is quite large - unfortunately.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

This list doesn’t seem super accurate though - don’t think footballers like Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas are still considered to be that great.

If it just about fame Rooney is still very famous.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Believe me baseball players are not known at all in Europe..Probably it's hardly believe for the Americans but true

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
the only one with 0 social following

:rofl2:

Gotta love a mysterious double Olympic Champ :laugh::luv17: truly amazing that he gets respectable spots on such lists given the fact he has zero social media presence.

Wynter

On the Ice
I think it's a bit like cricket, huge in a very restricted list of countries... and pretty much a blank in the rest of the world.

As part of 'the rest of the world' I can confirm that I know about Rooney and Fabregas although I don't watch football. Cannot say the same about baseball though. ��

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don’t really care that much about baseball - but Shohei Ohtani is the most popular athlete in Japan.

Major League Baseball is actually opening this season with games in Tokyo. Seattle Mariners vs. Oakland A’s - I think Ichiro Suzuki will be playing and I thought I read somewhere that he’s the second most popular athlete in Japan.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Nishikori is known to be very business savvy, we are talking about a person that has had management from a long time, compared to Yuzuru that doesn´t have management and doesn´t use social media is not a surprise. Nishikori is a brand.

About being famous in different countries, I wonder where tennis player Naomi Osaka will land in a year or two. She is already the #1 ranked women's tennis player in the world (ahead of both Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova, who are on the list). Her father is Haitian, her mother is Japanese, and she has lived most of her life in U.S.A. She "represents Japan," but it is not clear exactly what this means in an individual international sport like tennis.

(Although she just lost yesterday at the Indian Wells Masters. :( )