When to get new boots and blades? | Golden Skate

When to get new boots and blades?

frostea

Spectator
Hello! I’m currently in recreational level skates, Riedell Opals. I was not properly fitted for them, since I had thought I’d only be using them a couple times a year just so they were more comfortable than rentals. I’m in pre-freeskate and have skated for a little over a year. Do you think I should get new skates before learning more advanced moves (single jumps, sequences, etc...)? And if I should what are some recommendations for blades? I’ve only done the one foot spin with a 3-turn entry (maybe? I’m not sure what it’s called), but I know I tend to go really close and sometimes on the toe pick. I’m pretty sure it’s a technique problem, but it would be good to know if there were blades that would help prevent that problem.

Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I’m currently in recreational level skates, Riedell Opals. I was not properly fitted for them, since I had thought I’d only be using them a couple times a year just so they were more comfortable than rentals. I’m in pre-freeskate and have skated for a little over a year. Do you think I should get new skates before learning more advanced moves (single jumps, sequences, etc...)? And if I should what are some recommendations for blades? I’ve only done the one foot spin with a 3-turn entry (maybe? I’m not sure what it’s called), but I know I tend to go really close and sometimes on the toe pick. I’m pretty sure it’s a technique problem, but it would be good to know if there were blades that would help prevent that problem.

Thank you!

Just make sure you get your foot fit properly.

If you wanted to go to a boot/blade combo do something like the Jackson Premiere Fusion with like a Legacy 7 or 8 blade (whichever rocker size you prefer) you could also try either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace blade.

Good luck!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
You definitely need new boots for starting jumps. Opals aren’t stiff enough for that. If Riedells seem to fit you you could try Riedell Motions. Strides are rated for singles but I didn’t find them stiff enough for me. They didn’t fit me properly though so that could be an option. Make sure you go to a good fitter this time to see what is right for your feet. For blades MK pro and coronation ace are very popular good blades for this level and would last a long time. There are other options but I don’t know too much about them.