How do pairs train their throws? | Golden Skate

How do pairs train their throws?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
How do pairs train and practice their throws without the girl being dropped and suffering concussions and fractures?

Is there any video available with the proper and safe training of throws at speed on ice?

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
How do pairs train and practice their throws without the girl being dropped and suffering concussions and fractures?

Is there any video available with the proper and safe training of throws at speed on ice?

The coach uses a pole harness attached to the girl similar to how pairs or dance would train their lifts with a pole harness, or how singles skaters would jump using a pole harness. Never heard of a video tutorial but most coaches who coach pairs are experienced pairs skaters (male mostly for my rink) so they should know what they're doing. Of course there would be a risk of a concussion, a million things could go wrong.

jf12

Final Flight

They practice a lot off ice before they bring it on ice. I have never done it but I see them working off ice all the time.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
They practice a lot off ice before they bring it on ice. I have never done it but I see them working off ice all the time.

How can you practice a throw off ice when speed is the key factor in performing the throw in competition, especially the lift throws with the girl's body being horizontal?

I can imagine the use of the overhead wire and trolley, but the girl needs to be in a 3 axis harness with sufficient freedom to more their arms properly?
Like these: http://cartwheelfactory.com/spotting-belts.html, but there are ropes you can get snagged in?
And the male partner running or sliding underneath is not equal to skating, perhaps they train on roller blades, that would make some sense?
But then the overhead wire could be suspended over the ice rink too in some training rink so proper skates can be used.

More respect to pair skaters, for their discipline is the most difficult of all, not to mention dangerous for there are some scary clips with horrible falls on YT.

jf12

Final Flight
How can you practice a throw off ice when speed is the key factor in performing the throw in competition, especially the lift throws with the girl's body being horizontal?

I can imagine the use of the overhead wire and trolley, but the girl needs to be in a 3 axis harness with sufficient freedom to more their arms properly?
Like these: http://cartwheelfactory.com/spotting-belts.html, but there are ropes you can get snagged in?
And the male partner running or sliding underneath is not equal to skating, perhaps they train on roller blades, that would make some sense?
But then the overhead wire could be suspended over the ice rink too in some training rink so proper skates can be used.

More respect to pair skaters, for their discipline is the most difficult of all, not to mention dangerous for there are some scary clips with horrible falls on YT.

People practice lots of stuff off ice from stand still including regular singles skating jumps. Almost everything that’s dangerous or requires coordination between partners at all in skating actually is mostly done off ice first to be honest. It’s hard to understand how much you need to do in terms of balance, holds, communication and timing, that can be honed off ice, if you’ve never skated. If watch these amazing tricks pairs do in terms of lifts, twists, and throws, you’ll see that what the man does with his feet during those elements are usually extremely simple and easy, and aren’t the difficult part (or the focus) of the element. It is thus fairly simple to apply off ice to on ice for these specific elements.