Edea Pianos for an intermediate skater? | Golden Skate

Edea Pianos for an intermediate skater?

cherryk

Rinkside
Hi everyone, my question is pretty self explanatory.

I’m a skater of almost 18 months, fully grown at 5’4 and 120Ibs. I’m only landing my singles and starting axel soon. I currently skate in Edea Chorus and have the last year but I need something more secure, and I love my Edeas and don’t want to switch brands. How would I go in a Piano? Do you think I would struggle or that my progress would be hindered? I’m not a beginner by any means, but definitely not a professional. Just somewhere in the middle.

I want an upgrade and I want to treat myself. I know it’s not really possible to overboot in Edeas, but I’d love to hear all your thoughts nonetheless :) please don’t mention ice flys, this question is about piano only :)

figureskaterdude

Rinkside

I’m a skater of almost 18 months, fully grown at 5’4 and 120Ibs. I’m only landing my singles and starting axel soon. I currently skate in Edea Chorus and have the last year but I need something more secure, and I love my Edeas and don’t want to switch brands. How would I go in a Piano? Do you think I would struggle or that my progress would be hindered? I’m not a beginner by any means, but definitely not a professional. Just somewhere in the middle.

I want an upgrade and I want to treat myself. I know it’s not really possible to overboot in Edeas, but I’d love to hear all your thoughts nonetheless :) please don’t mention ice flys, this question is about piano only :)

My non-professional opinion is if you are happy with the chorus other than wanting a little more support, you should really like the pianos. I don't think you would struggle to much with the transition, and I don't think you will be over booted. Generally overbooting happens when a very young child who weighs 50-60lbs goes for a max stiffness boot. I think its a little bit different for adult skaters.

I have pianos myself and love them. My first edea was the concerto, and after those broke down I moved up to the piano. They just feel like better boots in every way compared to the concerto. The chorus is very similar to the concerto so I feel like you might have a similar experience that I did.

I also recently let a fellow adult skater try on my pianos for a few minutes and skate around in them. We happen to wear the same size. He has chorus boots and was wanting to see what the pianos felt like. Even with different blades that weren't optimally mounted for him, etc, he said he instantly liked the pianos more than the chorus. He said he felt much more secure. He is only doing single jumps and he said they felt much better even though he only wore the boots for ~20 minutes.

jf12

Final Flight
I’m an intermediate test level adult skater and I’m pretty happy with pianos, I think whether you’ll like it or not depends what you mean by more secure. I prefer to lace my skates really loose at the top and I find the way the Pianos are really stiff on the sides makes them actually much harder to lace too tight, if that makes sense.

Edited to clarify i am intermediate as in doing doubles. Is there any reason you’re not considering the ice fly? Tbh I own them and I think pianos are some of the ugliest boots.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

no, you don't need anything stronger or higher than a Concerto.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm taller and heavier than you - significantly - and doing singles and Choruses are firm and secure on me and even probably a little too much boot.

Pianos are literally designed for high triples and quads. That's...excessive.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
no, you don't need anything stronger or higher than a Concerto.

^ This but also: I believe the Concerto has a more similar shape to the Chorus than the Pianos (I've never worn the Chorus but I do wear Concertos and I love them) so that might be a good boot to try on if you like your current boots, OP. They're supportive enough for a slew of Olympic skaters to wear them but the Edea construction makes it difficult to feel overbooted in them. I never bothered with the Chorus because it felt way too soft for my liking, particularly the tongue, but that's just my personal preference.

Also, my skate tech told me the Pianos tend to run slightly narrower than other boots in the Edea line of the same width so that's something to consider. You can always try them on and see how you feel. I don't NEED the Concertos for what I do these days but it's a good, solid, secure boot and I'm very happy with them.

Sam L

Medalist
I’m in the same situation as you and I only just got Risport RF3 pros which are lower stiffness than the Chrius and I’m planning to use these to take me up to axels and doubles at the very least. And I’m a male with slightly taller and slightly higher weight than you and probably more muscle mass. So you will be overbooting for sure.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I know you said you wanted to treat yourself and so cost probably isn’t an issue for you, but one benefit of going with a less expensive but suitable boot is that you could spend more on blades! :)

cherryk

Rinkside
I’m an intermediate test level adult skater and I’m pretty happy with pianos, I think whether you’ll like it or not depends what you mean by more secure. I prefer to lace my skates really loose at the top and I find the way the Pianos are really stiff on the sides makes them actually much harder to lace too tight, if that makes sense.

Edited to clarify i am intermediate as in doing doubles. Is there any reason you’re not considering the ice fly? Tbh I own them and I think pianos are some of the ugliest boots.

Hi!
By more secure I mean tighter all around. I have a narrow foot and I feel my chorus to be a bit ‘slippy’ at times no matter how hard I lace them. It could be that the tongue is too soft, I often think that.

I’m the opposite, I just really love how pianos look and don’t like the icy fly haha. Considering there’s only 5 points of stiffness between them I’d much rather go for the boot I like the look of

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Do you need boots that stuff? No, realistically you don’t.

But if you are an adult you can spend your money on whatever makes you happy. However- before dropping $700 on a boot ask yourself what you will be getting out of it and decide what that is worth to you. I know lower level skaters of all ages who wear ice flys and pianos (which I think are both ugly as sin- it’s strange how strong our personal preferences are) and while they all seem to like them, they probably don’t need them.

Long story short- Piano’s are a much more advanced boot than you need but in the end it’s your money and you can do what you want.

Sam L

Medalist
If you wanted to get Pianos because of the way they looked, why did you ask people's opinions in the first place?

I mean, reading back on your original post, what are you doing in the Chorus that's making you feel insecure? They're rated for double jumps!

temadd

Final Flight

I agree! Ugly ugly boots. They make female skaters look like they have a club foot. Really unattractive and ungraceful looking. If the heel were any color other than white it would be a big improvement. This is why I think the ice fly with a silver heel is much nicer

jf12

Final Flight
I agree! Ugly ugly boots. They make female skaters look like they have a club foot. Really unattractive and ungraceful looking. If the heel were any color other than white it would be a big improvement. This is why I think the ice fly with a silver heel is much nicer

I pull my pants down over the heels for this reason! 😭

vlaurend

Final Flight
The Pianos might not even make your foot feel more secure, because even though they are stiffer, they are not necessarily going to fit your ankle any more snugly, which I think is what you want. This is why I just don't wear Edeas at all. I need the ankle fit of a traditional leather boot.
P.S. An Intermediate skater is landing double jumps. It's an actual test level that is much more advanced than it sounds. The test level above it is Novice, which is actually a very high level test, so "novice" is a term to be avoided, too, LOL!

Ange

Rinkside
You probably already considered this, but how about another brand? When I was buying boots for myself and tried Edea, my ankle felt extremely unsupported because of the way they are made/cut or whatever the scientific term for it is :laugh: So for that reason, I never plan on going the Edea route. A boot with the same support rating in my Risports felt so much more secure.