Chock and Bates featured by NBC Sports in lead-up to Worlds | Golden Skate

Chock and Bates featured by NBC Sports in lead-up to Worlds

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...-look-to-peak-at-worlds-and-return-to-podium/

Your free dance seems like a really good vehicle to show off your rediscovered passion.

Bates: We’ve never had more fun or had more joy on competitive ice than we had [during our free dance]. Part of it was being home in Detroit (for U.S. Nationals).Part of it was being back after 10 months. And part of it is the program. The program is just very fun. I think it caters to a sold-out crowd like we had. Audience was amazing. Within the first minute, I felt them. I could hear them screaming.

How did you decide on relocating to Montreal to train this season?

Chock: We were looking to make a change. We felt like we had more to give to the sport and we wanted to really push ourselves and grow. We felt like Montreal would be the best place for us to do that. Really the only place that we wanted to go.

Bates: We were just craving the atmosphere. You look at what they built and the results in PyeongChang. That’s the school to be at when you get gold, silver and almost bronze. They undeniably have the best camp.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*coughs*

Uh, spellcheck on that title. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:laugh:, I missed this, but I can probably guess:laugh:

I saw it and it wasn't as bad as you may think.

There's been plenty of times when I've been writing a word and a thought has suddenly popped into my head, resulting in me fogetting where I am in the word and ending up repeating a few letters. So, don't worry about it. ;) :biggrin:

But, now I'm curious about what the thought was that led to this case... :think:

:)

CaroLiza_fan

oly2018

Final Flight
This is great, but I really wish people would stop making the Olympic Bronze Medal about H/D. It isn't "almost-bronze." What that podium means, is Montreal isn't the only place you can be successful.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is great, but I really wish people would stop making the Olympic Bronze Medal about H/D. It isn't "almost-bronze." What that podium means, is Montreal isn't the only place you can be successful.

I know that wasn't the intent of course, but it comes off really disrespectful of the Shibs. They are the bronze medalists and they don't train in Montreal. They would have made their point if they said that the gold and silver medalists came from there.

That said, I really like both their programs this season and really inspired by their comeback!

I think "almost bronze" just means fourth place. The Montreal coaches got 1st, 2nd and 4th. :clap: :clap: :clap: I don't see any disrespect to the third place team.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

IMO that step on the podium purely means that H&D messed up. As we saw after the short and even the score they ended up with after their mistake-prone free was that the judges were ready to crown Montreal on the podium. So yeah, I would say Evan's assessment that Montreal is the place to be is accurate. Though I do have to say that Marie-France's material seems to be getting worse with each passing year just like with Marina. I've been disappointed with every program out of that camp this season except for Madison and Evan's stuff. Very unexpected.

I do think it was unintentionally shady to call H&D the "almost bronze" though... :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think "almost bronze" just means fourth place. The Montreal coaches got 1st, 2nd and 4th. :clap: :clap: :clap: I don't see any disrespect to the third place team.

There is no such thing as almost bronze. Nobody says they are an “almost bronze” medalist. Just say fourth place. The point would have been made.

And whether the judges were ready to give Hubbell and Donohue bronze doesnt matter. Competition isn’t about hypothetical situations. The Shibs had to compete.

Okay that’s all I will say on this, cause I don’t want to derail the thread. I am glad that Evan and Maddie found an environment that works for them.

Last edited:
Well, I think I got this thread off to bad start. :) So I've got nothing to lose by throwing in that pewter really is almost bronze. More copper in the mix, less tin, et voila! (Sorry.)

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
There is no such thing as almost bronze. Nobody says they are an “almost bronze” medalist. Just say fourth place. The point would have been made.

And whether the judges were ready to give Hubbell and Donohue bronze doesnt matter. Competition isn’t about hypothetical situations. The Shibs had to compete.

Okay that’s all I will say on this, cause I don’t want to derail the thread. I am glad that Evan and Maddie found an environment that works for them.

In the context of what Evan was talking about, it absolutely does matter. No one is saying the Shib's didn't deserve the bronze medal or didn't have to hit on the day; personally, I was getting that H&D were favored to medal over the Shibutani's because the Montreal camp and political game is so strong. And that's what Evan is clearly saying. When 3 of the top 4 are training at the same place, then yes it makes sense to go there.

And there is such a thing as almost bronze, it's called fourth place and it comes right after three. Gracie has said multiples times after Sochi that she almost medaled and that she was just "right there" behind Carolina without really ever focusing on the number 4. So there goes your "no one says this" statement. I'll lay off my hypotheticals when you lay off the hyperboles. :agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, I give up. Still don’t care for such a statement, hyperbole or no.

Anyway, I hope Evan and Maddie do well at worlds.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Eh, I give up. Still don’t care for such a statement, hyperbole or no.

Anyway, I hope Evan and Maddie do well at worlds.

I agree. It might be appropriate if their scores were very close, but they weren't. The fourth place team was closer to sixth than they were to third, based on the scores.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Another way of looking at "almost bronze": H/D did place third in the SD. (With the Shibs behind by a hair.)

I think reporters/commentators sometime use the following type of language after Skater/Pair/Couple XYZ places third in the SP/SD/RD: XYZ are in "bronze medal position."

So I too do not think Bates meant any disrespect. :agree: And I typically do not go out of my way to speak in support of him.

(Yes, after the FD, the Shibs were clear winners of the Olympic bronze.)

oly2018

Final Flight
I didn't mean to derail the thread, but it does come off as insulting to other training camps imo and to the Shibs, which is why I mentioned it. What I find particularly interesting, is Igor clearly has the future American teams. Madi and Evan know how quickly the political tide changes in ice dance, so interesting statements all around.

Amei

Record Breaker
I love their FD, at Nationals especially you could just tell they were having fun skating it and those are some of the best programs to me.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In Other News, I love what Evan said about the reciprocal energy effect that the audience response at Nationals FD had on them:

Audience was amazing. Within the first minute, I felt them. I could hear them screaming. It helped us so much to just let it loose in the last minute, when the rock and roll piece came on. We were just like, ‘This is what we’ve missed and what we’ve been working for.’ Those moments that you just want to bottle up and just remember forever. It was very special.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...-look-to-peak-at-worlds-and-return-to-podium/

And In Other News, the IG picture of Maddie and Evan on Valentine's Day is mmmwaaah .... ooh la la!