Rhythm Dance 19/20 - Finnstep music suggestions? | Golden Skate

Rhythm Dance 19/20 - Finnstep music suggestions?

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Not sure if this Chock and Bates' interview confirms the rumours that there will be a Senior pattern now and that it will be the Finnstep BUT if it does, what would be good music choices that are also broadway/operetta?

I think the Finnstep choice is a bit of a shame given that almost all the top teams did it not that long ago, but hey ho!

I'm afraid I have no suggestions as actually fully understanding music has never been my forte!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The bpm of the finnstep is 108 with the pattern being optional? I googled it and found this:

Optional Pattern Dance – A dance for which the pattern may be altered by a couple provided that the original step sequences, positions and timing are maintained. Each repetition of the altered pattern must be executed in the same manner and the restart must be commenced from the same place.

https://www.ice-dance.com/site/reference/pattern-dance-descriptions-patterns/finnstep/

So between 106-110 (since I think you can be +/-2 on the bpm), I guess my suggestion would be “Chim Chim Cher-ee/March Over The Rooftops” which would keep the Broadway theme in mind.

I wonder why they changed to Finnstep though?

(EDIT: Jamiroquai Automaton fits too!)

oly2018

Final Flight
I think changing to a pattern dance was a good decision. What would the technical panel be judging if everyone created their own patterns? Hopefully we get some insight into why, but I wonder if it has anything to do with just how much the new GOE system has affected dance. They need something to keep ID an "objective" sport.

Now Finnstep with a Broadway/operetta/musical theme could get way over the top. I honestly don't see it as a comfortable theme/pattern for a lot of the top teams. It will make for a very interesting season. It kind of goes against the languid/sexy/angsty style that has gotten so popular.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I wonder why they changed to Finnstep though?

I don't know if it was perhaps because of feedback from coaches and skaters maybe? I'm quite pleased though because I think it's good to have a set pattern for comparison - hopefully the younger teams who didn't compete it last time are able to keep up, and I think that if the older teams who did compete it in 2013/14 should be hitting the KPs more easily (hoping the TR at Worlds won't be as much of a mess as it has been all season lol)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does it have links to Finland?

Yes, according to ice-dance.com it was created by Finnish ice dancers Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko.

I can see people going to a lot of old Astaire/Rogers type musicals for this one.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes, according to ice-dance.com it was created by Finnish ice dancers Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko.

I can see people going to a lot of old Astaire/Rogers type musicals for this one.

And I don’t see how it would go with Phantom so I am all for it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
2013-2014! The Year of Anna Capellinin's Perfect Skirt!

I am FULLY CONVINCED her skirt won them Worlds that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WP3v7KJHo

One of my fave programs of theirs, and doesn't she look just like a young Judy Garland (and Garland was a very underrated dancer).

It's a bubbly, fun pattern, but it is going to limit music choices. It simply screams Roaring 20s/30s Astaire & Rogers too loudly to ignore.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a bubbly, fun pattern, but it is going to limit music choices. It simply screams Roaring 20s/30s Astaire & Rogers too loudly to ignore.

It's certainly going to stop people from turning to warhorses - it's hard to see how you could set a Finnstep to anything from Camelot or West Side Story, let alone Rent or Next to Normal - but there are plenty of earlier pieces even than the 20s/30s to go with. The Infernal Galop is still the right time signature and tempo, The Merry Widow has a couple of pieces that might serve if I'm remembering rightly, and a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan just opened up: 'Never mind the whys and wherefores', 'My eyes are fully open to my awful situation' etc (sadly, 'Dance a cachucha, fandango, bolero' is still in the wrong time signature though). Even with options from the 20s and 30s there are broader options - most of the score of Me and My Girl would fit, including 'The Lambeth Walk' and I will be more disappointed than ever if Fear/Gibson don't at least think about that one.

Now that the rhythm dance is a rhythm dance (ie what matters isn't the genre of music but whether it has the right rhythm to set the dance to) we could see people getting a bit more creative, a la D/W setting a polka to, of all things, Giselle. I'm sure there will be a lot of Roaring Twenties/Astaire and Rogers just as there's been a lot of Piazzola this season, but some people are definitely going to think outside the box.

oly2018

Final Flight
I am a little worried we may get some weird music cuts, just for the sake of using different music. Similar to some of the hip hop tangos we saw this season. This does make me very excited for next season though. After two years of latin inspired dances, this will be a welcome change.

I may regret saying that after the first 20 roaring 20s programs though...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guys and Dolls:yes2:

Luck be a Lady and Fugue for Tinhorns are probably in this BPM range, no?

My fav musical, I hope so:pray:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's certainly going to stop people from turning to warhorses - it's hard to see how you could set a Finnstep to anything from Camelot or West Side Story, let alone Rent or Next to Normal - but there are plenty of earlier pieces even than the 20s/30s to go with. The Infernal Galop is still the right time signature and tempo, The Merry Widow has a couple of pieces that might serve if I'm remembering rightly, and a lot of Gilbert and Sullivan just opened up: 'Never mind the whys and wherefores', 'My eyes are fully open to my awful situation' etc (sadly, 'Dance a cachucha, fandango, bolero' is still in the wrong time signature though). Even with options from the 20s and 30s there are broader options - most of the score of Me and My Girl would fit, including 'The Lambeth Walk' and I will be more disappointed than ever if Fear/Gibson don't at least think about that one.

Now that the rhythm dance is a rhythm dance (ie what matters isn't the genre of music but whether it has the right rhythm to set the dance to) we could see people getting a bit more creative, a la D/W setting a polka to, of all things, Giselle. I'm sure there will be a lot of Roaring Twenties/Astaire and Rogers just as there's been a lot of Piazzola this season, but some people are definitely going to think outside the box.

You're absolutely right. I should have said that the danger is most people will go the expected route and do a Roaring 20s/early 30s bubblefest (a la Cabaret, 42nd Street, Anything Goes). Quite a few of the Astaire/Rogers numbers were used in a very short lived show called Never Gonna Dance (I saw it in previews; it didn't last much beyond them) and Crazy for You. So "The Expected" is very covered. I'm just hoping choreographers and coaches look beyond the expected and over the rim of that particular box. :)

And please, not Thoroughly Silly Millie. I mean Thoroughly Modern Millie. Just a show I was forced to see way too many times.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I could definitely do without Thoroughly Modern Millie. :)

Another G&S number that would probably suit: 'So go to him and say to him with compliment ironical' (I've been on a YouTube G&S ramble tonight). The great thing about so many of these G&S numbers is that there are snippets of them in the overtures, so the skaters could set the Finnstep to the relevant sections and use other pieces organically for the remaining elements, in a way that's guaranteed to work. The same goes for classic Broadway musicals - newer ones tend to dispense with the overture, but if you're selecting from the right era, half the work of cutting the music has been done for you.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only two announced senior RDs thus far, that I'm aware of, are Sales/Wamsteeker doing Mamma Mia (jukebox musicals are a vehicle whereby a bunch of pre-existing pop tunes can be made to fit into the criteria; doublecheck to see if your favourite artist ever had a tribute show and you're good!) and Smart/Diaz doing Grease.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
2013-2014! The Year of Anna Capellinin's Perfect Skirt!

I am FULLY CONVINCED her skirt won them Worlds that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WP3v7KJHo

One of my fave programs of theirs, and doesn't she look just like a young Judy Garland (and Garland was a very underrated dancer).

This might favor or help the French even more and sibling teams.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's hope they pick something like 'We Go Together' rather than yet another round of 'You're the One that I Want'!