The Figure Skating War on Youtube | Page 7 | Golden Skate

The Figure Skating War on Youtube

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I´d suppose the clips in Russian language still exist on youtube? Shoud we learn Russian, LOL? Anyway, I think that in future maybe the competition clips could be put on yoube without mentioning the competition, sp/fs or the skater´s name and the links given on competition area?

By the way - why most of the finnish national events live streams are usually geoblocked for non-finnish viewers? I wanted to watch finnish nationals and synchro circuit and agree to pay for it but they all usually are geoblocked.... Sorry for offtop....But geoblocks is one more barrier on the way to spread the word about our sports as far across the globe as we can...

Triple loop

Rinkside
Why was Mao Asada's 2014 Olympic short program removed from the You tube site? Yes, I know she skated poorly but that's not a reason to delete it. I'm disappointed.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Not sure if it is related, but TSL's latest video about Eteri Tutberidze was removed from Youtube.

I guess something happened, probably they said something they should have kept for themselves, idk.

SkaterX

On the Ice
Not sure if it is related, but TSL's latest video about Eteri Tutberidze was removed from Youtube.

I guess something happened, probably they said something they should have kept for themselves, idk.

I'm pretty sure they removed the bit about Maxime Deschamps having a tryout with Deanna.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I don't actively update my YouTube channel anymore, but FYI:

NBC Universal has blocked dozens of my videos today. I only noticed because my email inbox was inundated with "Your video has been blocked" notices.

Blocked videos range from years 2014 to 2017.

Ashley Wagner's SP from 2017 Nationals -- 4.3 million views -- gone

Gracie Gold's shocking comeback free skate at 2016 Nationals -- 1.4 million views -- gone

The Shubutani's winning free dance at 2016 Nationals -- gone too

The blocked videos are not limited to US Nationals or US skaters. They've blocked videos from the Grand Prix, Worlds, 4CC, even the European Championships.

Notices are still coming in about blocked videos so I assume they are just getting started.

It's a shame I can't even leave up older YouTube videos for posterity.

https://imgur.com/a/c5gIcoj (Make it stop! :curse: )

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Honestly the best way to get around this is private hosting.

That will not help in the long term. Automated spies are everywhere.

All hail the music and entertainment industry and the control it has/we have given it over the internet

Manitou

Medalist
I couldn't find a thread about this great article about the mass deletion of figure skating videos on youtube so I may as well make one. It's a great read!

https://adivinesport.com/2019/03/15/a-shadow-on-the-sport/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
What are your thoughts?

I know, the world is going mad and I am glad my generation is on the way out and I won't have to deal with the Soviet Union of the Corporate World.
As for today, I found a consolation in my local recording of YouTube videos on my own HD while they are still available. They appear, I catch them on time, record them and this way I am not affected by the KGB of Internet as much.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Of course, it can be said that TV and ISU have their own right to protect their properties and copyrights, but why don't they make figure skating fans on YouTube pay legally? They can make good money from YouTube but are too outdated to use the platform.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

NBC Universal has blocked dozens of my videos today. I only noticed because my email inbox was inundated with "Your video has been blocked" notices. ...

:ghug: Will never forget your outstanding speed, thoroughness, and goodwill as you uploaded countless videos, even taking requests.
No matter what, you have my everlasting thanks, sabinfire. :bow:

(If I make it to Vegas for Skate America, hope to say Hello and Thank You in person.)

Cyt150

Rinkside
Country
Singapore
I know, the world is going mad and I am glad my generation is on the way out and I won't have to deal with the Soviet Union of the Corporate World.
As for today, I found a consolation in my local recording of YouTube videos on my own HD while they are still available. They appear, I catch them on time, record them and this way I am not affected by the KGB of Internet as much.
That is what i do now too. Download it once i see them and transfers them to my hard disk
Therefore I will be able to watch them later.
😅💣

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Of course, it can be said that TV and ISU have their own right to protect their properties and copyrights, but why don't they make figure skating fans on YouTube pay legally? They can make good money from YouTube but are too outdated to use the platform.

I'm rather astonished at the notion of TV channels apparently having sporting event rights for life. Rights that they hardly ever make use of once the initial broadcast is over. That's no way of making new fans of any sport, and neither is paying. People won't pay for things they haven't become fans of yet. The way things are going now doesn't bring anything positive to any side IMO.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That is what i do now too. Download it once i see them and transfers them to my hard disk
����

Yep, even videos of shows - the ones last weekend of Fantasy on Ice, everyone was grabbing and saving as fast as they could because even they could disappear...

Manitou

Medalist
����

So my question is: how do you do it? I used to download movies from YouTube using Airy 2.1, but last week I downloaded a video from Ice Kids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_Y_iE9PgY) to MP4 and the downloaded file doesn't want to play on my Windows. I never had problems before, so I don't know what has changed.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

NBC Universal has blocked dozens of my videos today. I only noticed because my email inbox was inundated with "Your video has been blocked" notices.

Blocked videos range from years 2014 to 2017.

Ashley Wagner's SP from 2017 Nationals -- 4.3 million views -- gone

Gracie Gold's shocking comeback free skate at 2016 Nationals -- 1.4 million views -- gone

The Shubutani's winning free dance at 2016 Nationals -- gone too

The blocked videos are not limited to US Nationals or US skaters. They've blocked videos from the Grand Prix, Worlds, 4CC, even the European Championships.

Notices are still coming in about blocked videos so I assume they are just getting started.

It's a shame I can't even leave up older YouTube videos for posterity.

https://imgur.com/a/c5gIcoj (Make it stop! :curse: )

Thank you, I have enjoyed your channel for some time now. I hope you did not lose your content completely. I hate to see this stuff aired briefly and tucked away in a dark vault somewhere. I get copyright issues and do pay to watch when fresh, but afterwards?? I wonder what 2009 Worlds coverage (for example) is worth these days.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm rather astonished at the notion of TV channels apparently having sporting event rights for life. Rights that they hardly ever make use of once the initial broadcast is over. That's no way of making new fans of any sport, and neither is paying. People won't pay for things they haven't become fans of yet. The way things are going now doesn't bring anything positive to any side IMO.

You would think the ISU would want them for some kind of ISU library afterwards.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I used savefromnet for years, it did have a little addon that could be added to my browser which is still useful for one-click downloading, I don't know if it still is available.

By the way, whichever downloader you use, you can also find videos ON youtube that explain the rather fiddly but worth it method of downloading FROM youtube any separate subtitles file :)

And its not free, but because I also wanted to download from bilibili (Yuzu, Shoma, Boyang, you do make my life more complicated...) I hunted round and chose Wondershare AllMyTube, which not only downloads pretty much any video from anywhere, but does bulk playlists (useful for grabbing and saving someone's 200 vid obsession with you know who). I have seen some negative reviews so it's not for everyone but luddite me finds it easy to use.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I agree with all of you all. This politics with You tube videos, or other website stored videos being removed is crazy. Figure skating is not as popular as other sports. For God's sake why not trying to promote it more. We live in a different world now, than it was before the Internet era. I also hate when a competition is streamed and they stop the stream when the last group is shown on TV. But what happens if you don't have a cable TV? That is so stupid, though I understand the reason behind this decision. Crazy money, money money.